Need for Speed XXII: Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need for Speed XXII: Heat

Need for Speed 2019 title possibly leaked by Gameware website. Need for Speed 2019 will be released in the second half of the year 2019.

May be nothing but the upcoming new Need for Speed that remains under wraps may be titled Need for Speed: Heat and may still arrive this year.

Surely it should be Need for Speed MMXIX?

Comment

I haven't played a Need for speed for ages. Certainly not since EA became Bad EA. Are they any good?

Comment

I didn't know this game still exists, I didn't play it for a decade.
        Last edited by charlesr; 15-08-2019, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
          Surely it should be Need for Speed MMXIX?
          Now that’s what I call music 99...

Comment

I can't even recall at this point what the last good one was. I know the Most Wanted reboot received praise but it always played like a poor mans Burnout Paradise. EA really have been pursuing the wrong racing franchise.

Comment

There aren't many games I don't get on with, but I bought Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit with the promise of it being a successor to Burnout 2, but it wasn't.

I found the rubber-banding and hit box of the cars were awful.
              In a game where you get rewarded for being really close to other cars, I just found I kept hitting everything, no matter what view I was using.

If this does happen, it'll be interesting how the series holds up against the likes of Forza and The Crew.

The last one (Payback) had middling reviews and, surprisingly for EA, riddled with microtransactions:
              "Need for Speed Payback received "mixed or average" reviews from critics, according to review aggregator Metacritic.

IGN praised Electronic Arts for repairing the problems of the game's predecessor, Need for Speed, but criticized its "scripted" story, lack of police chases during free roam, scripted police chases, loot box-like mechanisms during customization, poor car handling, unrealistic car damage and several other issues.

PC World criticized the game for being full of microtransactions, the severely limited customizability of cars, gameplay mechanics, a lack of cockpit view and several more issues, and compared it harshly to the Forza Horizon series." (Wikipedia)

Comment

It really feels like they don't know what they're doing with the series at this point. I'd actually like to play the 2015 game and Payback just to see what they're all about, even though they're meant to be quite poor. The way they use scripted story elements actually doesn't seem like a bad idea in and of itself. If they did it well they could have an interesting Fast and Furious type series on their hands, that blended pure racing with car chases and Stuntman-style stunt elements.

Comment

For me, Driver: San Francisco is the best combination of story and driving in a racing game, but I didn't play much of The Crew, which also tried to tell a story of revenge.
                  Made a nice change from a rookie making a name for himself on the racing circuit.

You're right, Wakka, the F&F series is begging for a video game adaptation, doing some of the crazy stuff they do in the films.

Skim-reading the GamesRadar review of Payback makes it sound like it was the kind of thing I like:

NEED FOR SPEED PAYBACK REVIEW: “SILLY, OVER THE TOP AND A LITTLE BIT SELF-INDULGENT, BUT IN A FANTASTIC ACTION MOVIE WAY”

Comment

Driver SF isn’t a terrible game, but it’s not a great one either. It’s way too reliant on ramming. You solve every problem in that game by ramming things with your car! Which was also the main mechanic of Driver on the PS1 as I recall, but feels a bit tired and repetitive these days.

I appreciated what they were aiming for with it though. I’m like you QC, cut and dried racing games leave me cold. I like characters, a narrative, some variety in the types of driving I’m asked to do and in the goals I’m asked to achieve.

It looks like the newer NFS do go for a whole F&F thing. I’d like to give them a try just so I can form my own opinion of them actually.

Comment

I have better memories of D:SF than you, with missions where you have to race across the city in FPV, race in the Cannonball Run, escape the police or tail a suspect.

The "shift" idea was a great way to play multiple cars without having to have people walking around like GTA.

I guess a lot of the story had ramming elements and the side-missions were more varied.

Other than that, we're totally on the same page and doing stunts and tricks in cars is more satisfying that shaving a few seconds off your lap time, for me.

I'll keep this new NFS game on my radar, if it's like you say!

The NFS series are in the PS Summer Sale:

NFS Ultimate Bundle - £19.99
                      • Need for Speed™ Rivals: Complete Edition
                      • Need for Speed™: Deluxe Edition
                      • Need for Speed™ Payback: Deluxe Edition

Payback - £8.99
                      Payback Deluxe - £12.99

NFS - £15.99
                      NFS Deluxe - £19.99

Rivals - £15.99
                      Rivals Complete - £34.99

Comment

I do remember doing those things you talked about, but I also remember a lot of ramming. A LOT.

It’s a decent enough B game but it wasn’t quite on the money for me. Pleasantly different though. There is actually very little that’s like it.

I should say I have no idea what the newer NFS games are like, I’m just going off what I’ve read. TBH they sound quite poor, but interesting enough to try cheaply.

That’s interesting re the summer sale, but I don’t use my PS much as it’s very noisy. I might see if there’s a trial of EA Access on Xbox so I can give them a bash that way, I believe they’re all on there.

Comment

As per usual, I spent the majority of my time doing everything but the missions in D:SF, so that could be why.
                          Just looked at my trophies and I have most of the ones for doing the side missions!

Sorry about your noisy PS4 (mine's really quiet), but it does look like there's a bunch on EA Access, so it's worth investigating.

Payback is still around £20 at CEX, so all three deluxe games for the same price in the sale is pretty good.

Remember the film with the guy from Breaking Bad?
                          He broke a lot of rules in The Highway Code like rule 248 which states that you MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of traffic, unless in a recognised parking space and Rule 123 stating that you MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

Comment

EA has firmed up details of this year's Need for Speed, with a Florida-bound, urban racer set for release on November 8…

Trailer revealed and it could be any NFS from the past few years failures, it's like one long generic mish mash of everything that has made NFS depressing this gen

Comment

at those pre-order bonuses stacked with exp and money boosters, it's like they haven't learnt from past mistakes. NFS:cold for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X