Retro Arena: Konami Published SNES Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I was happy and thankful that Acclaim looked to bring the shooters to the west too, and I thought Acclaim was a half decent developer in the old days, really good on the N64
    This is what I mean. Acclaim was never a good developer. They only published stuff. Turok was developed by Iguana Entertainment for example yet many think Acclaim developed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      This is what I mean. Acclaim was never a good developer. They only published stuff. Turok was developed by Iguana Entertainment for example yet many think Acclaim developed it.
      Well Acclaim did own Iguana at the time . So it's no different when people say Naughty Dog is a Sony In House studio .

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
        Konami was king of the snes, awesome games hard to get a top three.
        As much as I love some SNES games Capcom delivered, Konami managed to consistently deliver(both developing and publishing) top quality, unforgettable games.

It really is stunning how Konami games show off the hardware and really highlight how badly made a lot of games for the machine are. Not many devs could match Konami when it came to overall quality.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
        Castlevania IV.
        Contra III.
        Axelay.
        All three have classic soundtracks that truly show off the soundchip. Plus they are full of detail, effects, and smooth action. Konami's devs really knew how to take full advantage of the SNES..

I'd also chose those three, but honourable mentions must go to:

Mystical Ninja - Felt so fresh and inspiring at the time. Such a nice game.

Turtles in Time - Showed me that the SNES could deliver an arcade quality beat 'em up. A stunning game.

Parodius
        - Such an uplifting, fun game. The colourful graphics and zany humour always keep me coming back for more.

Batman Returns - Such a well crafted game that's full of impressive detail and exciting gameplay.

Cybernator - Published by Konami -- but the quality is so high, you'd think it was an in-house title. Excellent graphics and rousing music.

I could go on and on about how great all of the other Konami games are,

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        OG ISS. Never played a better football game in the last 20 years.
        I remember playing Deluxe a lot with friends -- it was easily my favourite footy game at the time. Loved the graphics, animation, and excellent audio. Felt top quality in all areas.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        This is what I mean. Acclaim was never a good developer.
        Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Acclaim. They had a sort of THQ vibe about them. But they did publish some decent games.

At least Konami actually developed top quality games, and when they chose to simply publish a title, they were also really high quality.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-08-2019, 15:44.

Comment

Turtles in Time is massively repetitive with an extremely limited move set. It got slated at the time, and for good reason. Does anyone honestly have the patience to spend more than ten minutes at a time with it today?

I remember regretting the rental, despite loving the arcade counterparts.

Comment

Got to go with Turtles in Time, Axelay, and Castlevania IV, but what a line-up. Konami really were the king of the 16-bit era. They released a few SFC games only in Japan too, including several Goemon games, some baseball games and an anime licensed puzzle game called Tsuyoshi Shikkari Shinasai,

Their combination of the best pixel art in the business, amazing soundtracks, and flawless control and playability really was unrivalled. It's such a tragedy that they don't really exist anymore. They should be as prolific and successful as Capcom, if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Cybernator - Published by Konami -- but the quality is so high, you'd think it was an in-house title. Excellent graphics and rousing music.
              Have you played Front Mission Gun Hazard? It's by the same dev as Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (Masaya) and is essentially Valken with some RPG stuff bolted on. Looks and plays very similarly. There's a translation patch for it too.

Comment

I’ve got English reproduction carts of both Front Mission and Gun Hazard, they’d always interested me ever since I saw them in Super Play and Manga Mania.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  It got slated at the time, and for good reason.
                  Which magazines/reviewers slated it? I've always thought it has a good rep. Even in modern times people rate it highly in retro reviews.

Of course, it gets repetitive, but lots of people still really enjoy what it has to offer.

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                  They should be as prolific and successful as Capcom, if not more.
                  They've always delivered Metal Gear and Pro Evolution games, but it has felt like their output has been severely lacking this century. You just don't get the broad range of interesting games they consistently delivered during the 8 & 16-bit era.

I'd love it if Konami came back strong with loads of interesting titles.

Have you played Front Mission Gun Hazard?
                  It does look like something special, but I've never got around to playing it. I really should give it a go.

Comment

Turtles in Time is massively repetitive with an extremely limited move set. It got slated at the time, and for good reason. Does anyone honestly have the patience to spend more than ten minutes at a time with it today?

I remember regretting the rental, despite loving the arcade counterparts.
                    I do. I really like it.

Comment

Yeah, I don’t know what [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] is on about, tbh.

When it comes to Turtles In Time, I personally prefer the coin-op to the SNES port but I certainly don’t remember the SNES port getting slated at the time. I recall it generally being perceived as quite a good recreation of the coin-op iirc. I definitely played it a fair bit back in the day.

Scrolling beat-em-ups being repetitive and containing limited movesets are pretty much par for the course by very nature of the genre, surely? They did die out by the turn of the millennium for a reason. Besides, would you want a scrolling beat-em-up that contained loads of move and more chance of the controls not being tight enough?

Maybe Dave’s getting confused with Turtles In Time Re-Shelled on 360/PS3? That was a terrible remake.

Comment

No, I'm on about the SNES version. It's nothing but legions of foot soldiers that all move exactly the same way. At least that's all I remember.

Scroliing beat 'em ups have always been my favourite genre, I even liked the below-average games like Rival Turf and Burning Fight. Although with TiT even 11 year-old me got sick of it in just a few hours. Maybe I'll try it again. I think I actually did give it a second chance when I was collecting loose carts years ago, but I can't even remember if I did so that's never a good sign. I might give it a go again tomorrow while getting RetroArch set back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          but I certainly don’t remember the SNES port getting slated at the time. .

Mean Machines gave it an overall rating of 80%. The only real criticism is the game gets repetitive after a while.

The reviewer, Rich, reckons the gameplay is improved over what he says was a "dismal" coin-op.

I haven't played the arcade version so I don't know how much different the SNES version is. I'll have to give it a go and see what I think.

Time Extension brings you the latest news and features from the world of retro gaming. Giving retro and classic games more time to shine and so much more.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-08-2019, 01:09.

Comment

No, I'm on about the SNES version. It's nothing but legions of foot soldiers that all move exactly the same way. At least that's all I remember.
                            It definitely isn’t just legions of foot soldiers that all move exactly the same way - the foot soldiers are colour-coded and carry different weapons. Basic differentiation? Sure, but they’re definitely not all the same. And there are definitely different types of enemies in the latter stages - completing the game on the hardest difficulty level gives you a full rundown of all the enemies in the end credits, iirc.

Like I said, repetition in scrolling beat-em-ups is pretty much par for the course, even in the great ones.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 04-08-2019, 04:56.

Comment

The move set in Turtles isn't really any more limited than other games in the genre, but what makes it stand out to me are how incredibly responsive and tight the controls are - it just plays brilliantly - and the fantastic visuals and music. The music is so good I'd rate is amongst the best on the SFC and better than the coin-op.

The MD version is strong too and kind of a greatest hits of Turtles in Time with some stages removed and a few new ones added.

They're both very expensive games to buy now, especially in their Japanese versions.

Comment

The move set in Turtles isn't really any more limited than other games in the genre, but what makes it stand out to me are how incredibly responsive and tight the controls are - it just plays brilliantly - and the fantastic visuals and music. The music is so good I'd rate is amongst the best on the SFC and better than the coin-op.

The MD version is strong too and kind of a greatest hits of Turtles in Time with some stages removed and a few new ones added.

They're both very expensive games to buy now, especially in their Japanese versions.
                                Agree about the controls in Turtles In Time being perfectly tight, but cannot agree with everything else you’ve said tbh.

Hyperstone Heist is pretty much just a lame remix/readaptation of Turtles In Time imo, and not in a good way. The redesigned stages don’t quite work and lack the TMNT feel.

As for Turtles In Time’s BGM, I can understand why people might think that the SNES port has the better music as more people probably played it than the coin-op, but really the coin-op’s music is comfortably better. The SNES BGM is excellent but is decidedly 16-bit and lo-fi in how it sounds whereas the original coin-op sound has excellent differentiation of instruments in it.

...And besides, the coin-op has the brilliant vocal version of “Pizza Power!” in the intro while the SNES port could only include an instrumental version of it in the ending, which swings it for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X