Retro Arena: Konami Published SNES Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    As for Turtles In Time’s BGM, I can understand why people might think that the SNES port has the better music as more people probably played it than the coin-op, but really the coin-op’s music is comfortably better. The SNES BGM is excellent but is decidedly 16-bit and lo-fi in how it sounds whereas the original coin-op sound has excellent differentiation of instruments in it.
    The arcade score is certainly better technically, but the SFC version has way more orchestra hits, which to me is just the sound of Konami. Both are undeniably great though!

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
      The arcade score is certainly better technically,
      The arcade version has a more open/broad soundstage, whereas the SNES version has an enclosed sound. The SNES sound is softer with the instruments not being as sharp, but there's definitely a warmness to how it sounds.

So the arcade version does sound more like something produced in a professional studio. The SNES music has a smoother, warmer feel that some people may prefer. It's certainly not bad next to the arcade version, just different and not as technically advanced.

I can appreciate both. But I think I have a spot spot for what the SNES delivers.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-08-2019, 21:06.

Comment

The arcade score is certainly better technically, but the SFC version has way more orchestra hits, which to me is just the sound of Konami. Both are undeniably great though!

Valid points for sure, but I would suggest that the Turtles In Time coin-op BGM also represents the sound of Konami Kukeiha Club from the perspective of Konami's arcade golden era (mid-1980s to early-mid 1990s).

My example would be the best track in Turtles In Time: Neon Night-Riders. The coin-op version literally makes the SNES version unlistenable, and I say that as somebody who heard the SNES version first! The bass in the coin-op version is just on a different level altogether, which ties into your point about the technicality.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-08-2019, 10:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          Valid points for sure, but I would suggest that the Turtles In Time coin-op BGM also represents the sound of Konami Kukeiha Club from the perspective of Konami's arcade golden era (mid-1980s to early-mid 1990s).

My example would be the best track in Turtles In Time: Neon Night-Riders. The coin-op version literally makes the SNES version unlistenable, and I say that as somebody who heard the SNES version first! The bass in the coin-op version is just on a different level altogether, which ties into your point about the technicality.
          Damn I miss Konami. Their track record in the late 80s and early 90s was second to none. I wonder where all the talent went to.

Comment

Damn I miss Konami. Their track record in the late 80s and early 90s was second to none. I wonder where all the talent went to.
            Given the way Konami are as a company and their sh1thouse behaviour nowadays, I dare say that all the talent from that golden age likely got forced out.

Comment

Probably retired at this point!

Comment

Working...
              X