Phoenix|Down X6: Star Wars Rogue Squadron IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix|Down X6: Star Wars Rogue Squadron IV

It's been three generations since the popular Rogue Squadron games were a key release and the closest we've seen to the experience since is the flight levels from Battlefront II thanks to the cancellation of the near complete Wii entry. The series made it's first landing on the Nintendo 64 and PC with a prequel film based spin-off also getting an airing. That was before the sequel game that helped launch the Gamecube and largely represents the series finest hour, the third game following on but adding ropey on foot sections to the mix.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron IV

Though there are no signs of life from the franchise, EA has shown it isn't afraid to lean on the Star Wars gaming legacy and is also in dire need of a hit for the ip. With at least eleven films to draw from now instead of three, the material exists for an expansive new iteration of the franchise though the old flight model of the old games could be seen as too limiting these days. Casting a phoenix down of revival on these games, how would you like to see a fourth entry realised?

I'd like it to be closer to the content of the much-unloved 3rd entry but without the running around on foot nonsense. They've made some good improvements with ship handling in Battlefront 2, so carry that across but make it more fun.

Comment

Yeah, pure aerial vehicular combat handled by the reassembled Factor 5 team would be absolutely great. Have been replaying the N64 original and made me want to replay all the others too.
      It's a kind of game that's almost ignored nowadays, you need to get into indie development, especially Japanese, and even those are rare (and good ones are even rarer). Would love for Factor 5 to get back together and do something, even if not Star Wars-related...even what was their original idea for Lair would be good (I hope).

Comment

Working...
      X