Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 Pro hard drive upgrade from old ps4

Hi all.

I have a PS4 with upgraded 2TB drive (almost full).
    I'm now wanting to get a pro which comes with 1TB. I'd like to use the 2TB drive in the pro.
    How can I achieve this?

Is my best bet to delete the items from the 2TB drive until it is <1TB?
    I would then be able to back up the 1TB onto the drive from the Pro in a USB enclosure.
    Put the 2TB drive in the Pro, restore to the 2TB now in the pro and then redownload the remaining stuff from disc.

Can you restore a back up to a different ps4?

Don't move the internal HDD from one PS4 to the other, it won't work.
    You can use an USB drive to backup the 1st PS4 and then restore it on the 2nd, but it will take quite some time (around 100GB/h reading around the net).
    When I upgraded the drive on my standard PS4 I backed up the saves on the cloud through PSN, swapped drives, and then downloaded/installed games when I needed them.

Comment

Cheers, I appreciate it. I thought that you would not be able to just move the drive *and* data.
      My steps:
      Physically remove the 1TB drive from the new Pro (as I do not have another drive to back up)
      Delete from current PS4 files so that I can back up to a 1TB drive.
      Backup to the 1TB drive (which was in the new Pro)
      Move the 2TB drive over physically – that will format the data but I will then have a “fresh 2TB Pro”.
      Restore to the new PS4 Pro

Unfortunately shopto will not confirm that the White PS4 pro they have in stock is the newer chassis.

Comment

It should work, then only thing I don't know is how the PS4 will handle an HDD that was previously in another console...it could simply prompt you to format (most likely) or refuse to do anything with it.

Comment

Started doing this last night - it is a slow process!

I deleted files so I had only 1TB on the original drive and backed it up - took 7 hours.
          Did the physical swap and am now restoring - another 7 hours.

I think if I had moved 2TB, it would have been a massively annoying length of time!

Comment

Thanks briareos the process is slow but at least it works.

Comment

Working...
            X