• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

17.21 onwards.

***SONIC-UH BOOM***

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I remember how much of a big thing Quake was back in '96 - pushed my Pentium PC to the limits. I really liked the vibe of the game and how it played. I think I'll give the N64 version a go now that I have an Everdrive 64 X7.
        It's been a hell of a ride, non-stop action and enemies from every angle. It's a shame I'm almost done! I need to hunt down the mission packs and then move onto Quake II.

The console versions are interesting; I remember being really impressed by the PSX version of Quake II.

Comment

Nostradamus (Arcade) - what a great shooter!

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            The console versions are interesting; I remember being really impressed by the PSX version of Quake II.
            PSX Quake II is great indeed. The N64 version of the original Quake is also surprisingly excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Nostradamus (Arcade) - what a great shooter!
              I hadn't heard of it before, but it looks pretty good. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Started original Xbox 3rd person squad based shooter Freedom Fighters at the weekend.

It has something but I'm finding certain elements frustrating, like enemy respawning if you leave an area. The squad control is maddening in that whilst controls apply to individuals when you have more than one guy to control you do not appear to be able to select them individually. They're selected in numerical order which means each new command is applied to the next guy in the squad. A very awkward control system.

There is also an example of inexplicable gameplay design I've not seen before in a game like this. In I think the second or third mission set where you're tasked with blowing up a bridge in one case and a Hind helicopter launch pad in another. I searched the level for the required C4, in both cases none found. 'Completed' as much else as I could including capturing the two building concerned before moving onto the third location where I quickly found some C4.

Tried to go back to the previous locations - no way. You're prevented from doing that if you've completed the rest of the mission. Capturing the building seems to be the key to that yet despite not having blown up either main objective those mission elements are now marked as completed successfully. Very odd gameplay design.

That sort of thing and the other annoyances maybe the reason why this well regarded game did not get a sequel.

Comment

The TUROK remaster on XB1. Was expecting to be underwhelmed by this but the sleek 60fps chunkiness of this is sublime, it *lifts* the original and makes it feel ruddy great fun instead of an often choppy mess. It still kinda looks the same but just heavily boosted for total solidity.

Bloody good job! Now gonna check what 2 is like, I was never a fan as it got too obscure and mazelike but if it plays as fun as this does at 60fps then it'll be pure joy.

Currently £9.59 for both as a bundle on Xbox Store if you fancy grabbing 'em, I figured it was worth the dip at that price (and it was).

In essence..."TUROK: BFG EDITION". It does to Turok what BFG Ed. did to Doom 3 and that's brill.

Comment

And TUROK 2 plays like a dream, too. It feels FUN. Quite unlike it used to. Good stuff!

Comment

Been playing loads of PC Engine shooters on the Pi for the last few hours, just had a big sesh on 1943 Kai and it's truly impressive what this thing is capable of. Obviously, it's emulation but I've been playing other stuff like Soldier Blade and Gunhed etc., just rock solid with minuscule slowdown. The R-Type conversion is still the nuts, it's next level.

I had a PCE 30yrs back but only had five games for it before my mate broke it so it's nice to go back thirty years on and spend some quality time with the format without just flicking through ROMs like a spoilt brat in a sweet shop, like I normally do.

Time to play these bad boys propah.

Comment

Now onto CADASH, one of my all time faves. Not a bad version out there, it's great whichever one you play. PCE got more characters to select than the MD version, I've noticed. Don't let that put you off the MD version but I'm liking the extra peeps to play as.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          it's next level.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          like a spoilt brat in a sweet shop,
                          Air Zonk and Coryoon are tasty treats if you like cute 'em ups. Aero Blasters is also really good.

Comment

I had a fun SNES session:

Axelay - Went through it quite easily and enjoyed every moment. The underwater level, Witches Hat and Wayler(fire baldy) bosses, and the final level were all highlights. Such a perfect creation that's way above other shooters for the system.

Parodius - Such a cute companion shooter to Axelay, and also excellent in all areas. Reminded how much I loved the game back in the day; must have played it hundreds of times over the years. Another shooter that shows that the SNES can actually run this type of game really well.

Next I'll be playing Pop'n Twinbee.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-11-2019, 21:43.

Comment

I put my CRT TV back in the gaming room and fell in love again. Still going to keep the OSSC on hand as backup but it won't be my primary solution going forward.

I've been giving R.C. Pro-AM a shot. I've always been quite dismissive of non Micro Machine games in this genre but this is pretty good! Starts off easy enough but quickly becomes challenging.

Comment

I put my CRT TV back in the gaming room and fell in love again.
                                My CRT also make me feel....

The OSSC is a nice alternative that makes retro games shine on LCD screens.

I've been giving R.C. Pro-AM a shot. .
                                I've always enjoyed it, despite it being quite repetitive. There's also a version for the Mega Drive called 'Championship Pro-Am.

Comment

Working...
                                X