The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
    Trailer looked like he was physically there, but assisted by robotic limbs?

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it when I watch it for the first time, then I'm going to think it wasn't that great a few weeks later, after I've digested and thought about it.
    Robo-emperor? Missed that

Comment

Ah - So the hidden fleet of star destroyers that the empire put in reserve (or has been building) since the destruction of DS2, is now emerging from the ice to take on the rebels for a final time and was all part the emperors grand design?

Comment

“Game of Thrones” producers and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have walked away from their highly publicized deal with Lucasfilm to launch a “Star Wars” feature film trilogy in 2022. The pair have cited their recent nine-figure deal with Netflix as so filling their schedule that they’ve had to step away from having a […]

You make one of the most successful modern series around.
        You then secure a major deal with Disney
        You then develop a large scale epic trilogy of Star Wars films
        Disney then sets a release pattern for the films starting in 2022 leading the future of the franchise

What do you do next? Oversee the closing development? Filming? etc?

No.

The pair are instead focusing on a different deal now for projects with Netflix. It also raises the question of whether Disney will now have to abandon the previously announced release dates for future films unless it can either mobilise Rian Johnson's trilogy or Kevin Feige's entry.

Comment

There's probably a lot more to this story behind the scenes. I reckon we could read into it that the Star Wars prospects were way shakier and far less likely to come to fruition than the Netflix stuff.

There is a very good chance that Disney still don't quite know what to do with Star Wars once this next film is out.

Here's a thing from three days ago that feels relevant. It's a twitter thread about a Q&A they gave at a film festival and it's alarming how much these guys knew nothing and will happily admit to knowing nothing and yet what leeway and then money they were given: https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1...755588097?s=20
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 29-10-2019, 10:13.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about that poster for Ep. IX (its well composed but there's something about it that feels like it was created by a passionate fan rather than a professional).

Despite my initial malaise over the recent state of Star Wars after Ep. VIII this is slowly pulling me back to being somewhat interested and curious. I still think they could have surprised viewers and done a two-parter to finish this set of films (I can already imagine the discontent among filmgoers but it would allow them to salvage the series and finish it on a high).

I feel like Ep. XI will be entertaining but play it very safe indeed.
            Last edited by Paddy; 29-10-2019, 17:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I'm not sure how I feel about that poster for Ep. IX (its well composed but there's something about it that feels like it was created by a passionate fan rather than a professional)
              It does fulfill most requirements for a modern film poster though. The characters are roughly vertically aligned and facing away from the viewer with weapons in the foreground.

Comment

It’s arguably the biggest story of the week and this afternoon, almost simultaneously, the two major trade publications released feature articles about the exit of “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss from their proposed “Star Wars” trilogy. Both articles indicate fandom backlash seems to have played a part. As we know on […]

More info about the collapse of the GOT duo's trilogy. It's beginning to sound like the already announced three dates will have to be abandoned as Feige's film won't be ready in time and it sounds like Johnson's trilogy isn't in place either. Kathleen Kennedy will remain in post but there's a definite 'trouble at 'mill' vibe to Lucasfilm currently with setting up a future direction for the franchise and its road to screen so far being far more difficult than it should be.

Comment

I’m not sure it’s more difficult than it should be. I think it’s exactly as difficult as it should be. The problem is that expectations of what Star Wars is probably aren’t being kept in check. Star Wars is not a guaranteed slam dunk by any means. It has huge brand value but much of what made it superb, particularly an almost perfect original ensemble cast and a very clear focus on that cast, also makes it very difficult just to spin off anything and expect it to hit. Even historically, Star Wars interest dipped fast at certain points after big highs. Making any movie successful is a huge challenge. Making any movie at all is a challenge. And making one with the financial expectations of Star Wars and nailing it each time should be acknowledged as no easy task.

Comment

It looks like those previously announced release dates are cancelled as Bob Iger confirms that after Ep IX the film incarnations of Star Wars will be going on hiatus for several years.

Comment

I don't know what it is, likely the unlikelihood we'll see much of it again in future, but lately I've taken a shine to this design of the Falcon

Comment

Is there any sign that the latest installment is going to have a plot that isn't exactly the same as one of the previous films? The last one was basically Empire all over again. At least the prequels had new stuff.

Comment

I may be wrong but I'd wager expectations should firmly be set to 'Return of the Jedi remake'

Comment

Yep. Especially with that one character coming back out of nowhere. Personally, I don't see much of Empire in Last Jedi outside of featuring AT-ATs but one thing about what played out was that there was absolutely no way the third film could be a repeat of Jedi... until JJ decided to bring that character back for whatever reason.

Comment

This vid by Corridor Crew they talk about good and bad choreography. Last Jedi is a bad one. Worth watching because I knew that fight was rubbish but I didn't know why until now.

Comment

Good move. What I feel Star Wars really needs is for its "main branch" to rest for ~5 years, preferably more. By that though, I mean that they need to park all of it. No scripts, no development, drop it all. Then start literally from scratch in 2025, when the cultural zeitgeist has shifted and they can spend a few years working it up into something compelling again.

Comment

Working...
                                X