No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, you missed out on the best version. The C64 version is the smoothest but they all suck big time. Such a shame we never got a Konami action game based upon Thundercats.

Comment

I always thought it reminded me of TIR NA NOG on the Speccy but I never knew it was a kind of re-skin of that game so that was very interesting to learn of, pretty much the same running animation as well and it's so obvious now it's been pointed out!

Comment

If I recall rightly, at least the C64 version, I think it was another game in development converted with the Thundercats licence.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I remember getting Thundercats in a 10 pack of games with my Amiga -- was just as bad as the 8-bit versions. It's the sort of rubbish that made people abandon computers in favour of consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I remember getting Thundercats in a 10 pack of games with my Amiga -- was just as bad as the 8-bit versions. It's the sort of rubbish that made people abandon computers in favour of consoles.
            All of my mates had computers back when I was around 12. I remember thinking yeah your games are cheaper than my Master System / Mega Drive games but man they suck big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              I remember thinking yeah your games are cheaper than my Master System / Mega Drive games but man they suck big time.
              It's just a shame that cartridges cost so much, because that really held back consoles in the UK. But eventually people realised how great the best console games could be and didn't look back. The Mega Drive and SNES really helped change the gaming scene in the UK.

Comment

The weekend is here so that means another Battle of the Ports

Comment

Looks very hard. There hardly seems to be a second when there aren't grenades, knives, bullets and missiles heading your way.

I've never played it. Might see if there's a Super Fami version in my nearest shop, even though you said it wasn't much good.

Comment

LOL at the crappy SNES version even the ZX Spectrum version looks better

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Looks very hard. There hardly seems to be a second when there aren't grenades, knives, bullets and missiles heading your way.

I've never played it. Might see if there's a Super Fami version in my nearest shop, even though you said it wasn't much good.
                      The SFC version was only released in the US as far as I know.

Comment

fundabarlt

Comment

Although it looked like the crappiest port, at least the SNES one adds a reticule.

Bit dumb of all the devs doing the porting to make it accurate to the arcade version in dropping the reticule from the original Wolf and adding it as a power up. Of course, when you have a physical gun pointing at a screen, an on-screen reticule is helpful but not essential. On a home computer port using a joystick or keyboard to move the crosshairs, it’s kind of essential. Just to compound the oversight the game rates your accuracy at the end of each level. Tell me how to get even close to 100% accuracy when you can’t even see where you’re firing unless you fire continually?

As for the game itself, I loved it back in the day and still love it now (the arcade version, that is). Loved Wolf and it was a stone-cold classic, and Thunderbolt took it to the next level with two-player co-op and the into-the-screen 3D sections. Before your Houses of Dead and Time Crises came along, this was the daddy of gun games. Gets a good seeing to whenever I go to Arcade Club.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Of course, when you have a physical gun pointing at a screen, an on-screen reticule is helpful but not essential.
                            The thing was though, Operation Wolf wasn't a lightgun game. The gun was really just an analog controller moulded into the shape of a gun, so the gun wasn't even necessarily pointing at where the shots are fired, even in the original!

Great one [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], interesting to see a good Amiga port! One for the books.

Comment

There’s a story about the C64 version...

Quite possibly one of the strangest goings on behind a Ocean release, coming in the form of the rather bizarre release of Operation Thunderbolt. It all
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                The thing was though, Operation Wolf wasn't a lightgun game. The gun was really just an analog controller moulded into the shape of a gun, so the gun wasn't even necessarily pointing at where the shots are fired, even in the original!

Great one [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], interesting to see a good Amiga port! One for the books.
                                Yeah, I think Thunderbolt use the same tech (or lack thereof), no?

Comment

Working...
                                X