Meatiest weapons in 2D shoot em ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turrican is a great shout.

Infinity Danger feels OK from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Any genre gets named for something as negative as 'hell' and I can safely say it's probably not for me.
      Going off topic a bit, but I think sometimes bullet hell gets a reputation for being crazy hard, when often they're not actually anymore difficult than old-skool shmups were.

It's more a design style than a difficulty level. They throw huge amounts of bullets around, but once you learn the levels and some simple dodging techniques, some of them are not that bad.

On the flip side, you have old-skool games like the arcade versions of Gradius III or R-Type 2 which are incredibly difficult (and kind of unfair with it).

The Mushi Futari Ultra mode often gets shown, but that is a specific hard mode, and M2's 360 port even comes with a novice mode, as do all of M2's Shot Triggers range for the PS4.

Going back on topic, I really like the "Round Vulcan" in Axelay. I seems so effective for so much of the game, I never really see the need to upgrade it.
      Last edited by ZipZap; 25-10-2019, 19:07.

Comment

Yes that’s exactly my impression [MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION]. I find bullet hell games easier than a lot of old school shooters. Unless they’re on mega hard mode or whatever obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          as negative as 'hell' and I can safely say it's probably not for me.

Comment

[MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION] is right.

Deathsmiles is one of the easiest shmups of any description despite being bullet hell.

Comment

Hey ZipZap

Please can you update your email on the site? It's bouncing. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Hey ZipZap

Please can you update your email on the site? It's bouncing. Cheers.
                Now done! That was a really, really old email address

Comment

Mushihimesama 1.5 Cave Festival Edition - Max mode

Comment

I played DoDonPachi DaiOuJou on PS2 last night and my word, the weapons in that game are satisfyingly nuts. Wide and numerously dense auto shot and that hold fire beam weapon. I also managed to combine the bomb and shot and even beam to make even meatier weapons!

I'm not a big shmup player. I didn't last long when the bullet hell came, but boy I appreciate the presentation and mechanics. Really awesome.

Music on second stage was really nice too. Please, if you're a fan, discuss and educate me more on other titles and stuff!

Comment

The powered-up fire in MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE. It's the nuts. Even on MD with less colours than the arcade.

Comment

I also like the boosted spread shot. But that DOES look noticeably cooler in the arcade version. But MD is still ace, such a comfy game, I could play it over n' over.

It's a true pity we never got this and GRANADA on PAL.

Comment

Super Nashwan Power - Xenon 2 (I seem to remember that you can get it on the first level)

Probably the meatiest starting weapon is in Daifukkatsu, you can’t power up and it stays this way the entire game.

Also you can start Slap Fight with a full compliment of power up’s if you die straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Turrican is a great shout.

Infinity Danger feels OK from the start.
                            Don't think there's ever been a game where it feels so comfy to play with mega, satisfying weaponry right from the start!

And it was only 59p!!!!!

Anyone know if there is a sequel to this on Xbox Store???

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              Don't think there's ever been a game where it feels so comfy to play with mega, satisfying weaponry right from the start!

And it was only 59p!!!!!

Anyone know if there is a sequel to this on Xbox Store???
                              There's the Dreamcast version. https://bordersdown.net/content/541-...Sega-Dreamcast

Comment

Soz mate, I meant Infinity Danger, I should've edited the quote!

Comment

Working...
                                X