Trophy / Achievement Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy / Achievement Discussion Thread

Figured this subject might be worth talking about, I do enjoy going for trophies. Currently playing Dark Souls Remastered which I've already Platinumed so that's making for a change in playthrough tactics (don't need to pick up everything or level any covenants!) and Dragon Quest Builders 2 which seems to have a whole lot of long term trophies that you can't really go for until near the end of the game. Seems easy enough though.

Picked up Doom and Doom 2 (classics) on PS4 and noticed there are trophies for finishing the game on coop Nightmare, so I doubt I'll be getting those unless there is some way to set up and finish local multiplayer mode all by myself

How do you feel about Trophies and Gamerscores? What are you guys working on?

I recently got 100% in resi7 but only because I was enjoying myself, I realised I was close to getting all the trophies so I went for it. I think this is the only game I've ever done this on. I care little for trophies and gamerscores to be honest. I see them pop up from time to time as I play but that's all. I think its a cool feature to have. It adds some extra challenge to the game, but I only ever play a game for the fun of the game itself.

Comment

I thought they new and exciting when Microsoft introduced them with the Xbox 360. For a while I used to love the 'achievement ping' on the 360 and thought I wasn't using my time well when playing Wii or other formats with no achievements. But now with so many disparate platforms and achievements being all over the place I don't care about them. I tend to look more at whether I have completed a game as being the main target.

I still look back on the few games where I completed 100% (or at least the majority) with fond memories as it meant I really enjoyed that game.

Comment

Think I'm leaning torward slowing down my trophy hunting tbh, I'm pretty close to 100% on Kingdom Hearts 3 and Bloodstained but I can't be arsed, so I feel ya.

Comment

I had a mate who had a higher 360 gamerscore than me because he played more games.
          I tried to beat him by getting more points on the games I had.
          Once I beat him, I lost interest, and it's a bit of a relief, tbh.

Trying to get a high gamerscore is a fool's errand and I pity the people devoting their lives to getting more than other people.

Now, I just look at them as ways of exploring a game a bit differently.
          I recently got 100% on Edith Finch because there were a few extra things I'd not done, so I went back and did them.

Comment

I think that's about right. Achievements are probably most useful for either:

1. Checking for anything you have missed or were/are really close to getting
            2. Looking back at past games and based on the score, you can surmise you enjoyed the game

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I think that's about right. Achievements are probably most useful for either:

1. Checking for anything you have missed or were/are really close to getting
              2. Looking back at past games and based on the score, you can surmise you enjoyed the game
              Yeah, but also
              3. Playing the game in a different, but fun, way.

Some of my fave cheev memories are Fallout: New Vegas and beating the whole game in Hardcore mode.
              Getting the Dead Rising one for killing the equivalent number of zombies as the population of Willamette (53,594).
              Kill someone with a fish in Sleeping Dogs.
              GTAIV "Warm Coffee" - sex with no cutscenes.

Comment

I remember the FF7 trophy for going on a date with Barret instead of Tifa / Aeris lol. That was a fun one. I also rib my brother a lot about the time he had to have a homosexual relationship with Zevran in Dragon Age Origins for the trophy, although I ended up having to do it too in the end
                Last edited by Adam; 13-08-2019, 13:50.

Comment

I used to be crazy for achievements in the 360 days, luckily I broke the habit this gen.

Saying that, if I enjoy a game I will make efforts to get as much as possible trophy-wise. However I won’t go crazy, so things like “all items” on Bloodstained will stay un-achieved.

I’m actually working on Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon at the minute, which has trophies linked to the different ways of finishing the game. This is pretty cool as it makes you play the game in differently. I’m currently on the ‘bad’ ending route, which involves you killing all partners. However each one gives you an upgrade, So the game plays quite differently.

Comment

During the 360/PS3 era they became quite a big focus on games, PS3 for me especially and that led into PS4 where I persevered with BF4 enough to get that Platinum which I think was my last one at 28 or 29. Sometime after that though I tailed off hard and at this point I clean forget they exist, if either company dropped support I don't think I'd notice their absence anymore which is quite the turnaround. There were a few I chased that actively harmed the enjoyment of the game for me, probably more times than they did them good.

Comment

I’ll be honest, I tend to use trophies as an indicator as to how far I am in a game. A lot of games tend to have a trophy for every level you complete, so by counting how many there are I can gauge how far I am in a game. It helps me determine if I want to preserve with a game I am in two minds about playing through...

It’s always nice to get a rare trophy, but I’ve never had the time or inclination to want to platinum any game. To my knowledge I have never had a platinum trophy...

Comment

Actually linked to this, I actually like to look at the % of people that have achieved certain trophies.

I find the % questionable though, generally tied to the first achievements. I’ll see something like 92% of people completed the prologue and think surely there’s no way 8% didn’t complete the prologue, it’s like 5 mins long!

Comment

I think a lot of us have definitely had an unhealthy relationship with these in the past

I still like them in some instances though; particularly when they do prompt me to try something in a game I wouldn't have done so before, or when I can see how many other people have been able to do some mad hard thing that I've accomplished.

But yeah, there are some times when I'd rather just turn the things off entirely and not have them popping up in the corner of the screen. Nintendo being Nintendo and not following the crowd on this actually makes some games more tempting to play on their platforms, just so that I know that I'm not being judged (silently) on how far I get or how I choose to play.
                          Last edited by fuse; 14-08-2019, 10:41.

Comment

I think the rarity % is accurate for the most part, isn't it? It's funny looking at achievements like "beat the game" and seeing only 12% of people have it. Quick check on my phone shows only 52% of people have completed Spiderman for example.

Comment

The thing is, I spent half a year on Red Dead II and I've only got 45% of the achievements.
                              Most remaining are online, I'm not playing that, so what's the motivation to do any remaining single player ones if I'm never going to 100% the game?

Stay alive for 3 days with a wanted status of $250 in each state is tempting as a different way to play (I was a goody-two-shoes), but I can't be arsed to replay the whole game again for the ones I missed.

1.8% is my rarest trophy in that, if you were wondering!

Comment

Working...
                              X