Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and did I mention Agent Dale Cooper's only in this movie for like ONE PERCENT of the entire running time?!!!

1%!!!!!

Pffft.

Comment

FWWM is one of the scariest films I've ever seen. The TP fan in me likes plenty about it but it does lack some of the magical ingredients of the tv show.

Comment

I'm still on the last series of Battlestar Galactica and it's a real slog.

I finished episode 9 but still have another 14 to go.

Nothing seems to be pushing the plot forward, it just goes around in circles, like they're waiting for the big reveal, but stringing it out when TV shows all felt like they had to have 24 episodes to pad.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          I remember seeing FWWM back at the flicks in 1992 and finding it incomprehensible because I'd never watched the TV show at the time. Seeing it a second time...I was hoping it'd be loads better but it just felt like dullish backstory and missing much of the hatstand levity of the original show (and it's missing like half the characters and Donna is different).
          Yeah, back in the day I was very disappointed with Fire Walks With Me for all the reasons you give. It felt so different, had little of the quirky laughs of the show and had all the Lynch self-indulgence that is often very hit or miss with me. I enjoyed it much more years later probably because my expectations were different.

The recent third season is a different beast again but builds as much on FWWM as it does on the original series so it has become required viewing now rather than just the weird extra it once was.

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] - Yeah, I remember that feeling exactly. I think several things caused a severe downhill slide in Battlestar but the two main ones were, firstly, the Lost rubbish - once they tried to fill it full of pointless mysteries that made zero sense, the main plot was removed of any urgency - and, secondly, it felt like they knew where they wanted to end in that last season and so were just treading water until they could get there. There simply wasn't enough actual story to fill even a fraction of the episodes.

A real shame because when the show was at its best it was amazing.
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 18-11-2019, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            treading water
            Yeah, that sums up my feelings.
            I've invested a lot of time, so want to take it to the end, but I swear nothing has been progressed plot-wise for about 5 hours/episodes.

I also watched Ep2 of His Dark Materials (BBC), which is interesting, but never gripping. Going to stick with it, though.
            If you're thinking of watching this show on catchup, don't watch the "Coming soon" at the end of episode 1 as it's about 5 minutes long and shows looooads of what's coming.

I also watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (BBC).
            Love this story and it's always interesting to see what other people do with it - Spielberg, Alan Moore, Jeff Wayne, Orson Welles, The Coming of the Martians audio play and so on.

If I hadn't seen Rafe Spall on The One Show explaining how they based the character of George on Welles himself, who was also unhappily married to cousin and eloped with one of his students. The thing is, Rafe is still young and handsome, so this age gap didn't transfer too well. No mention of Welles' multiple affairs, the dirty beggar.

Pacing is a little off too, especially as there are only three episodes and they seem to dwell on the whole backstory of George and Jane's illicit romance, but FFWD the Martian bits. I like in the book how they're investigating the pod for ages, then mock it a bit, then it heat rays some people, then they're pleased it's stuck in the pit, then it emerges and starts mashing up Woking.
            In this, it lands, they dig around it then it's straight to mashing.

Still, there's loads to like and it'll be fun to watch the whole thing.

Comment

DC Super Hero Girls: Season 01
              Blitzed because the kids finally got into it and its barely 10 mins per episode. The right tone, with the right amount of fan references but without being too zany either.

Comment

I'm about halfway through Castle Rock. It's a proper slowburn, which I'm fine with, but the Stephen King fan in me is perhaps going easier on it that I would have without the link.

The references can jump out a little but could have been clumsier ... nothing like 'it's your cousin Marvin, Marvin BERRY'

Comment

On episode 2 of Money Heist on Netflix. Excellent premise. Hope it turns out to be good

Comment

Just realised Money Heist is very long. Thought it was a short series....

What's Sneaky Pete like? I've watched 4 episodes and it's pretty slow, but pretty gripping.

Comment

Supergirl: Season 03
                      Man, what a dry season. All filler and zero killer throughout, for this one it continues to feel like the writers just don't know what to do with the character. A weak run.

Comment

See

Saw (haha) it trailered at the cinema and downloaded 6 episodes so far and it a pretty good especially episode 3

First episode was a wee bit meh but it's just setting everything up and now it's feathering momentum

Give it a shot

Comment

Finally onto TWIN PEAKS: A LIMITED EVENT SERIES. The new one. It's great. Bought it last week.

Thought the big HMV in Leeds had shut down but surprisingly it STILL hasn't so I went in thinking "whatever I buy today may be the last thing I ever buy in this place", saw this on (non-Blu) DVD for £19.99 and I'll be happy if it's the last thing I ever buy from there (been going there like 25yrs since it opened).

Watched the first two eps, it's more madcap than I expected yet kind of exactly the same but kind of vastly different. Amazing when they return to the old locations and it's *exactly* the same.

ACE to see a certain character back, surprisingly, the first two eps are 'in memory of' the actor, it's clear they look very ill but giving their all and it's very poignant to watch and really sad but also kinda happy in the sense they *just* made it back in time to honour that 25 years Laura Palmer mentioned back in the day...

Comment

Episode 3 of the above, even more insanity.

Twin Peaks 2017 seems to be all about how much insanity it can throw at the screen. And what an amazing experience it is.

Absolutely nuts, absolutely ****ing interesting like nothing else I can think of at this current moment!

I didn't know Major Briggs had died back in 2008, or summat, there is an 'in memory of' at the end of Ep. 3. I miss his excellent presence, I was hoping he'd return.

Also an 'in memory of' for another regular. I actually thought this guy had died a few years back and the guy playing him was a replacement who looks 71% like him, maybe a relative or a good likeness.

But, nah. It's him. Just looking *really* old and different. He was really ill at the time. Very sad indeed.

We're three men down already, I hope that's it, it's breaking my ****ing heart at the end of every episode!!!! Stay alive, you *****!!!

Comment

Good to read your thoughts on season 3 @JazzFunk. I thought it was amazing. Absolutely not what I was expecting after all these years of waiting, but super bold and 100% undiluted David Lynch. I admire the fact he avoided an easy fan love-in, instead making something more original, creating water-cooler conversations all over again ... well, if anyone I work with had watched it I would have partaken ... but me and a mate had to talk on the phone after every ep aired.

Only seen the third season once but looking forward to another viewing when the new box-set lands early next year.

Comment

^Fruit machine arcade bit.

Exciting episode of THE APPRENTICE tonight, wasn't sure who'd get fired tbh, Lewis did a ****ing piss-awful job with the fragrance's packaging and bottle but totally salvaged it in the boardroom (I was certain the brush-haired **** would be toast but it was an admirable comeback) and in the end the dead wood was dropped off the waterfall.

Interview phase next week. Always good viewing, without fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X