No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's highly amusing this 42yr old dinosaur of a franchise is still 'relevant', you can't have a good space movie without decent goodies n' baddies. There is no danger and thusly no coolness.

They should've given the movie to a crazed Poe Dameron, I've said it loads but he's the only fun character doing crazy things.

Anyway, we shall witness the abuse, soon. But I *am* bloody curious to see what they do. If it's gonna be a turd, at least make it a solid one. Last movie was like a clostridium difficile dump, ie. a total mess.

Comment

Honestly, I think a large part of the issue remains with Star Wars that the reason they struggle to make additional strong entries is simply because Star Wars always had very little plot. Decades of SW nuts will point to years worth of Extended Universe stuff but the films themselves have never successfully progressed beyond being very simple adventure films about a son, an evil father and a big space gun. Any expansion has to largely start from scratch with most of the audience because the Rebellion was never more than a name reference for the most part, you never really saw much of it - it was just a background thing. The Empire was a galaxy wide dictatorship that we never saw as the focus was almost exclusively on two characters (Vader and Palpatine) and the fate of a galaxy wide threat supposedly rested on only one or two characters. The films lacked much depth because they're products of their era which is absolutely fine but it means later films faced evolving beyond that and the original trilogy are held in such a warm place by fans that change = dislike. Plus, as soon as you mess too much Star Wars very quickly descends into being any other generic sci-fi property.

I'm sceptical that resting it will achieve much either. Star Wars worked after a rest because the next run of films became a generational event then. To bring it back with prequel spin-offs or unrelated side stories, I'm not sure audiences will care. I'm mindful that unless they rest it for 6-10 years then announce Episodes X-XII then they'll get a shoulder shrug.

Comment

Yep, I agree with all of that. And I think that's reflected in the mindset of a lot of fans, where they realise it or not. I mean, the number of films a large number of at least the vocal 'fans' like is far outweighed by those they'll complain about. The things they dislike about Star Wars seems to overwhelm the few things they actually like. And when there is new stuff, it seems like they'd actually rather just have the old cast as old people doing the same thing like it's some sort of Star Wars/Golden Girls mashup. And as you say, I think that's because much of what people love about the originals is actually tied to a small core cast and a small story.

But perhaps like Terminator, this could have been avoided. Because the world and the design is still incredibly rich. But the movies have ultimately been tied too closely to one character (Luke Skywalker) and a character who many seem to misread at that. Whereas if, early on, they had branched out much further then maybe expectations would have been different. Like if the prequels had mostly been about completely new characters (and not been really bad), I think things may have been a bit different.

Comment

It's those numbers in the original trilogy that were the problem IV-VI. That need that was created for I-III just seemed to fuel the Skywalker focus especially as it was always going to be Anakin based, as soon as that happens you have a franchise leaning on a cross generational family saga. Terminator is probably a very good comparison, Star Wars probably should have been walked away from in the original trilogy because it was done and scratching the logic of its story only harms the experience.

I know many fans would point to stuff like Clone Wars etc for proving the franchises life outside the films but canon or not anything that happens in any EU content is irrelevant to the central storyline of the franchise and is also viewed/known by probably 1% of the film going audience so it's not really the numbers the studio will be chasing for the films (something Marvel should make sure to keep in mind with its MCU series)

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Plus, as soon as you mess too much Star Wars very quickly descends into being any other generic sci-fi property.
            I've got to admit that this is true. I know I'm one of the forum's resident former Star Wars EU fanboys, but even as a kid, I wasn't blind to how so much of it was just crap. For every Shadows of the Empire there were 5 books which were utter rubbish.

Comment

I can’t verify this myself obviously but it looks like A New Hope’s Han and Greedo scene has been altered yet again on Disney+, of what I’ve seen reported is genuine. I’ve seen the video and it’s baffling. It’s just an addition of a word from Greedo just before he gets shot. Seems to serve absolutely no purpose. So if it’s real, it poses some fascinating questions about who did it and why. Who is still messing with Star Wars?

Edit: okay it seems to be real and it was Lucas himself, prior to the Disney acquisition. The man has some problems he needs to work through. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/...t-george-lucas
              Last edited by Dogg Thang; 12-11-2019, 19:15.

Comment

Watched the Mandalorian and enjoyed it, felt like a western in a star wars wrapping. Though i do have to feel the guy inside the suit, he clearly has difficulty moving and acting in it, and the telescope scene had me laughing from how awkward it looked. Thumbs up which feels like the the first time in ages i've been able to say that about star wars.

Comment

Appearing at a public event yesterday, Walt Disney Studios co-chairman and chief creative officer Alan Horn acknowledged that Disney has the lions share of the entertainment industry at present. However he adds that he or they won’t apologise for it. Horn says (via Collider) that: “we do have an outsized share of the market for […]

Disney Chief says the option of a movie based on The Mandalorian isn't off the cards

Comment

One thing even Disney didn’t expect in the wake of its Disney+ streaming service launch is that so much of the conversation that has arisen about it has all come back to one word from a restored piece of over 40 year old footage. That word, of course, is ‘Maclunkey’. The word is uttered by […]

Actor Paul Blake adds to the Maclunkey debate saying he never said it.

Comment

Kathleen Kennedy has a director lined up for a 2022 Star Wars film even as she has yet to settle on the direction for the marquee franchise's 'evolving' mythology — or her own future.

Word that whatever the future of Star Wars is, there's said to be a film prepping for a 2022 release and it's not Rian Johnson's project or Kevin Feige's and a reveal in January may be on the cards.

Comment

Its a busy morning on the “Star Wars” front with Disney Pictures releasing the first clip from “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” along with a nostalgic behind-the-scenes featurette that celebrates the end of the saga. The clip shows off what looks like this film’s take on the Endor speeder chase from “Return of the […]

New info on Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of the Skywalker

-Ed Sheeran has a cameo
                        -It features a Return of the Jedi style speeder chase
                        -Original director Colin Treverrow confirms that had he remained director then The Emporer wouldn't have returned and wasn't originally part of the trilogy

Earlier reports suggesting that “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” would clock in at 155 minutes, making it the longest film in the saga, have proven premature. The film’s director J.J. Abrams, speaking with EWLive on SiriusXM 109, has confirmed that work has now officially finished on the film and the movie’s final run-time clocks […]

Whilst the films runtime has been confirmed to be 2hrs 21mins

A major reason the producers of Disney+ series “The Mandalorian” were able to keep the secret of what fans are dubbing ‘Baby Yoda’ was one of the most basic – no merchandising. More specifically they asked the studio to delay merchandise manufacturing featuring the character until after the series premiered according to creator-writer Jon Favreau, […]

The Mandalorian merchandise for The Child is inbound, the child is the official name for what's being miscommunicatedly referred to as Baby Yoda

Comment

'Ed Sheeran has a cameo'

I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            'Ed Sheeran has a cameo'

I'm out.
                            Was pretty much going to post this. Hopefully it will be like a couple of their other previous 'cameos' - in full suit and totally unrecognisable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Was pretty much going to post this. Hopefully it will be like a couple of their other previous 'cameos' - in full suit and totally unrecognisable.
                              You see him in the second clip, yes he's a trooper.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                'Ed Sheeran has a cameo'

I'm out.
                                I'm with you

Comment

Working...
                                X