User Tag List

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [NS] - storyline spoiler-free please!

So...It certainly feels like the first Xenoblade, but without the Break/Topple aspect so far for me. And there is a difference in the names of the characters and places, etc. between the Japanese voice over and the English subtitles. Just so you're aware.

How does it play? Well, the battle system has the addition of the Blade Specials which charge up by keeping proximity to your blade and successive connecting hits with the autoattack. The specials can be chained like in XC but I've not had enough experience with this to be able to explain properly. The characters are generally well animated and the world looks as pretty as you would hope. The music I have to draw special attention to. Even the wife commented how it sounds like a Ghibli movie. The score is gentle yet has an edge when it needs.

How will this compare with Zelda? This is much more linear. You feel like you have more choices, yet the path you follow is generally laid out ahead of you, whereas Zelda would like you cut your way to Ganon in no time. I can't comment on if it's better, but I certainly feel more for the characters in XC2 than I do for Zelda.

I am looking forward to many more hours over the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kryss View Post
    So...It certainly feels like the first Xenoblade, but without the Break/Topple aspect so far for me. And there is a difference in the names of the characters and places, etc. between the Japanese voice over and the English subtitles. Just so you're aware.
    What? So the characters have different names in Japanese, and the subtitles use the English names, not the Japanese ones?

Shame, but that's probably stopped me from ever buying it. I really can't stand the English voices (the ones I've heard in the trailers are bizarre) but as someone who has a rudimentary understanding of Japanese (enough to understand many short phrases and identify nouns in a sentence, at least) this would be very jarring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    What? So the characters have different names in Japanese, and the subtitles use the English names, not the Japanese ones?
    That's unfortunately normal, especially with fantasy/sci-fi names. Atlus, NISA, and of course Nintendo did it a lot on the past, although with some Nintendo games the impact was lessened due to the lack of spoken lines.

Quote Originally Posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    That's unfortunately normal, especially with fantasy/sci-fi names. Atlus, NISA, and of course Nintendo did it a lot on the past, although with some Nintendo games the impact was lessened due to the lack of spoken lines.
    The impact in this case I believe is increased by the grating nature of the English. I'm not a subs-only guy; I've watched/played plenty of media over the years dubbed, and there are still things I prefer dubbed (usually because of nostalgia) like the Patlabor movies. Just something about the voices I've heard in the trailers really rubs me the wrong way.

really enjoying the game so far but does anyone else feel that its too hard to pull off the chain combos? I've managed toe got from 1>2>3 tier specials...but buy the time you get to pull of the level 4 chain at the end you run out of time, either the enemy is dead or you die lol. plus there's a lot of management involved and having to monitor this whilst your just trying to have fun in battle

Whoever designed the compass on this games needs a slap, infact most of the UI is bad, I expect better from Monolith. And it would be nice if they gave us a proper map system. The radar, and full screen radar are useless, and the proper map with markers are buried in the quick travel menu. it's a joke.
    Last edited by Adam; 07-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.

I'm finding the compass to work pretty well. I never look at the map and play with the minimap off. Less is more when it comes to videogame UI.

I'm also liking the English voice acting, especially with Rex's Chorley/Wigan accent. It's always annoying/overly cocky at the start of the game, but then by the time the character grows it generally becomes more mature - at least in the RPGs I've played so far.

Yeah I've been using the English voices too, they're fine. Had to mute the "game voice volume" though, as they are super repetitive in battles. Also, the quest completion jingle is totally the Back to the Future theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post

Shame, but that's probably stopped me from ever buying it. I really can't stand the English voices (the ones I've heard in the trailers are bizarre) but as someone who has a rudimentary understanding of Japanese (enough to understand many short phrases and identify nouns in a sentence, at least) this would be very jarring for me.
    You could play the Japanese version instead.