User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

I don't feel qualified to review this. Why? Because I don't enjoy first person shooters all that much - unless they're really bloody good like Half Life or Left 4 Dead. Furthermore I ain't played a first person shooter for many years prior to this. Now that caveat is out of the way, what's the game like? Not that good. It looks pretty. Sounds good. Weapons are decent. But the gun play's a bit samey. Run here. shoot them. Press the odd switch. You know the deal. It's a hardly an evolution on the formula. It does have an over the top, tongue-in-cheek story though and a brilliant cast of colourful characters. It's a game that knows it's a game and doesn't pretend to be anything else. And I can't deny it doesn't feel good shooting Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan in the face. Hitler makes an appearance too. And can be killed. So there's that too. If you like FPSs you might really like it.

Forgot to say the game's pretty short. Took 16 hours to complete the campaign. There are a load of side missions and collectables though that probably double game time so maybe 30 hours to rinse it. It's also a very demanding game if the noise from my PS4 Pro is anything to go by. Nothing breaks your sense of immersion like your console revving up and drowning your ears in awful noise.

I'm quite interested in peoples opinions of this. I'm playing through the first one, on account of it being on sale on PSN, and I'm enjoying it. Wonder if I should splash out on the sequel?

If you enjoy shooters I reckon you'll probably like it. It's appearing on many 'best games of 2017' lists of both players and critics.

I heard that there was a load of forced political BS, and not just the anit-Nazi kind. Did you encounter anything like that?

A woman in a mission whispers to you to 'vote Tory'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.SamuelHayden View Post
    I heard that there was a load of forced political BS, and not just the anit-Nazi kind. Did you encounter anything like that?
    Are you saying that anti-Nazi messages are forced political BS?

I don't remember anything like that, the insanity that goes on in the story overrides everything. It's a solid enough game but only worth vest shooter nominations if the competition level is quite weak, before anything else some of the level design in the game is pretty woeful.

I enjoyed it but not as much as the first.

The character stuff on the sub was good but it would have been nice if there's been some dialogue trees or something to make you feel more involved.

It looks nice enough (running on a PS4 Pro on a 4k screen) but, and I guess this is an id Tech thing, there's no destructibility in the levels. All that fire power and there's no environmental damage. Or real gibbing of enemies when you go at them with dual wield shotguns.

The ending feels like they ran out of time and money. It's just so abrupt. The post-game, completionist stuff is interesting in that they repurpose levels and you get to visit areas you didn't see in the campaign but it just feels a bit flat and tacked on.

So, yeah, it was okay.

Seven teds out of a sleuth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.SamuelHayden View Post
    I don't recall any forced political messages. I mean, you play the role of a resistance fighter battling Nazi and Ku Klux Klan members in an alternative 60s America so the premise alone could be interpreted as forced politics but I really enjoyed the story stuff and found it very tongue in cheek, silly and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    A woman in a mission whispers to you to 'vote Tory'.