Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak were somewhat under pressure due to not having made a console based Pokémon before and no doubt Nintendo were keen to have it arrive on time because otherwise the Switch would have had a big hole in its Xmas line up. Plus, when they know the games will sell loads by default they can afford to cut content because there's not much incentive to overstretch and it's easy stuff that promotes the inevitable Pokémon Armour edition or whatever it's called. Pokémon's always been a shilling franchise, hence the pointless factor of having 2 versions of the game further stretching the devs. I expect the next Pokémon sequel will advance things but to be honest, when it comes to the bells and whistles you get in other games I don't think those things will ever come to the franchise so complaining fans will have to just suck it up.

I'm curious to see it in person though, if those screens are correct and it looks visually significantly worse than BOTW it'll be interesting to see if its stark in person as - to be honest - I don't think BOTW is a good looking game technically to begin with.

Comment

I honestly don't know if it's that Game Freak were under pressure. If you look at the history of Pokemon games, there is absolutely nothing, not a hint, to suggest that Game Freak wanted to aim any higher than they have. And it's not Breath of the Wild. I feel making that comparison is like complaining that Schindler's List wasn't as funny as Airplane. Nothing was there to suggest that Game Freak were aiming for, or would indeed ever aim for, Breath of the Wild territory.

Now you can complain about their tiny little baby steps and that's fine but it's exactly how they've worked up to now and nobody should be remotely surprised by this game not being some huge giant leap that looks better than the best-looking games on the system. Expectations seemed to have gone wild for this but they were never realistic. And not due to any failure - because Game Freak have made their choices and this is how they work. I don't know how people aren't used to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I honestly don't know if it's that Game Freak were under pressure. If you look at the history of Pokemon games, there is absolutely nothing, not a hint, to suggest that Game Freak wanted to aim any higher than they have. And it's not Breath of the Wild. I feel making that comparison is like complaining that Schindler's List wasn't as funny as Airplane. Nothing was there to suggest that Game Freak were aiming for, or would indeed ever aim for, Breath of the Wild territory.

Now you can complain about their tiny little baby steps and that's fine but it's exactly how they've worked up to now and nobody should be remotely surprised by this game not being some huge giant leap that looks better than the best-looking games on the system. Expectations seemed to have gone wild for this but they were never realistic. And not due to any failure - because Game Freak have made their choices and this is how they work. I don't know how people aren't used to this.
        The trouble game freak have is we have had a lot of very different Pokemon games over the years where people have tried to innovate and most of them are mediocre, pokepark, poke ranger, mystery dungeon, ect ect.

Comment

People have been posting up shots and videos on Twitter today and Pokemon looks gorgeous. People be crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            People have been posting up shots and videos on Twitter today and Pokemon looks gorgeous. People be crazy.
            Yeah, I was playing it earlier. IMO it's not a particularly great looking game (it's like a 3DS game wearing big boy pants) but it's solid, and matches the trailers/prerelease footage.

Comment

Having read that people were easily adding missing Pokémon into the new games via hacking I did wonder how it's so easy without breaking it. Turns out it's easy because Pokémon Sword/Shield looks 3DSesque because it actually is 3DS. GameFreak just ported over the models then up-resed the ones they wanted to be playable, in effect it seems like they ported the last game then cut/edited from there for a fair chunk of it which is why hackers are finding it so easy to restore content.

Comment

Just discovered my pokemon name

"Thwackey"

Comment

Also creating my own pokemon. new pungent cutesy garlic pokemon Garlipoo.

Final evolution - Megalo Garlipoo.

Comment

SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays has a demo on Switch via the JP eshop. If your console is set to English it plays in english as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                      SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays has a demo on Switch via the JP eshop. If your console is set to English it plays in english as well.
                      SRW-V is in full English, I expect X will be as well.

...sadly I'd like an option for Japanese without changing my console default.

Comment

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition to launch 20 February 2020 for $20

Comment

Is the Konami Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection any good?
                          The one with a bunch of Gradius games on it.

It's half price (£7.99) at the moment:
                          8 KONAMI arcade classics of the 80s, from Nemesis to TwinBee. Including bonus eBook packed with new information never before revealed to the public

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Is the Konami Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection any good?
                            The one with a bunch of Gradius games on it.

It's half price (£7.99) at the moment:
                            https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nin...n-1548600.html
                            I think its great. You get the Japanese versions with it too.

Comment

Revival of the rumour that over the next 2 years Nintendo is planning to release Metroid Prime Trilogy: HD for the NS, but also that they're working on a Link's Awakening/Samus Returns reworking of Super Metroid. Presumably that also means we can rule out Metroid Prime 4 before 2022 or more likely on the Switch at all.

Comment

Following the old rumour of Ridge Racer VIII being in development for Switch comes an update on that claiming Namco has cancelled the project

Comment

Working...
                                X