This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    UK press has been slapped with a don't publish.
    Freedom of the press

Comment

Boris Johnson's real name revealed to be Boris Lyinmyfukinassov

Comment

As this has kinda become the Election thread, got to say... The reaction to the McStrike news is really disheartening.

So many people who seem to take glee in saying that those jobs are worthless and those people should feel fortunate to have them at all.

I don't know what's wrong with this country. What happened to any sense of empathy?

I bet those jobs have plenty worth the next time those people find themselves on a cross-channel ferry at 5am and really want a McMuffin.

Comment

Angela Rayner claims Farage is secretly working with Johnson and Trump

Labour has pledged to outspend the Tories on the NHS

A former Tory MP has asked the public not to vote for the Conservatives saying what this version of the party plans to do if they get a majority must be avoided

Comment

Latest poll from YouGov (from yesterday) sees Brexit vote tank with Labour and Conservative gains off the back of it, but Tories increase their lead on that polling group by another point over Labour, now with a 14 point lead.

Last edited by MartyG; 13-11-2019, 09:56.

Comment

The Lib Dems are in hot water in Canterbury after their candidate stood down in the elections to help the local Labour candidate and reduce the significant risk of their Tory rival getting the win. The locals have kicked off after the Lib Dems them confirmed plans to replace the candidate and thereby undo the effort and aid the Tory push.

And Labour says 95% of people won't pay more to fund their spending plans. Not really true as the top 5% who will no doubt control much of big business will simply jack up prices to absorb the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                And Labour says 95% of people won't pay more to fund their spending plans. Not really true as the top 5% who will no doubt control much of big business will simply jack up prices to absorb the cost.
                I notice this also says they won't have to face NI increases. I didn't realise the Tories were planning on increasing Northern Ireland - must be something they've thrown the DUP but I think we're all good for NI right now and don't need more.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                  You'd think that would sway most people...heard a guy say this the other day:

"Wewll 'ave boopah innit!"

Yep, when the NHS is privatised a BUPA now costs £600 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    As this has kinda become the Election thread, got to say... The reaction to the McStrike news is really disheartening.

So many people who seem to take glee in saying that those jobs are worthless and those people should feel fortunate to have them at all.

I don't know what's wrong with this country. What happened to any sense of empathy?

I bet those jobs have plenty worth the next time those people find themselves on a cross-channel ferry at 5am and really want a McMuffin.
                    I work in a big council office and there's a bit of a caste system, it really annoys me. A lot of the office staff completely ignore the security/cleaning staff. You often hear things like "they're only a (salary) grade 2". There's a real lack of respect.

I think the main thing they don't appreciate is that if you're in a job on minimum wage (or close) you don't get to work less hard. You actually have to work harder, if anything, because the demand for these jobs is high.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      The Lib Dems are in hot water in Canterbury after their candidate stood down in the elections to help the local Labour candidate and reduce the significant risk of their Tory rival getting the win. The locals have kicked off after the Lib Dems them confirmed plans to replace the candidate and thereby undo the effort and aid the Tory push.
                      Surely this is the point where we riot until we have electoral reform?

The point where parties are brazenly gaming the system is surely the point where this bull**** has gone far enough?

Comment

The point where parties are brazenly gaming the system is surely the point where this bull**** has gone far enough?
                        You'd think so but it's like boiling a frog. These shenanigans are only a bit worse than the shenanigans before them, and the ones before that etc.

Comment

People voted against voting reform.

Comment

No, they voted against a very specific type of voting reform. Applying that now to any electoral reform is like the anti-Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              I work in a big council office and there's a bit of a caste system, it really annoys me. A lot of the office staff completely ignore the security/cleaning staff. You often hear things like "they're only a (salary) grade 2". There's a real lack of respect.

I think the main thing they don't appreciate is that if you're in a job on minimum wage (or close) you don't get to work less hard. You actually have to work harder, if anything, because the demand for these jobs is high.
                              When I was in the far-east, I once had an unruly student who didn't want to learn English. Most of the usual methods you can employ to motivate a disruptive student didn't work, and the kid was really quite intelligent, so I used the method that was used by my teachers in the 90s to get me to learn RE; namely that if I wanted to, I could not really care about the material, but I should memorise it and parrot it in the exam because it's a GCSE irrespective of topic, and qualifications would help me get a college placement, unit placement and even job, in the future. Otherwise I might end up working in a menial job at McDonald's my whole life.

When I said this to that student, way back in 2007, I really meant it, too. I mean I was never the sort of person who was a prick to minimum wage workers (I've always hated those people) but at the same time, I always knew that I didn't want to end up doing that.

After the class, the Japanese teacher in the group pulled me aside, and said that they didn't understand what I was trying to tell the student. This led to a weird conversation where, eventually, we worked out that the crux of their misunderstanding was when I was saying "you might end up working at McDonald's", they were thinking "well what's so bad about that?"

They explained, from their perspective:

"McDonald's workers are the front face of a global successful business, and people need food. It might not be the best-paid job, but those in that job are at least working, and not a drain on society. Preparing food for people, cleaning toilets for people, making it possible for them to quickly get on with their day - you don't see this as a fine profession?"

When asked to clarify, we did straighten up that even in their eyes, it is preferable to own one's own restaurant, or work in a family business in which one can take personal pride a bit more seriously, but they were very clear - in Japan, in that society, to them at least, it was improper for a teacher to suggest to a student that those people are somehow "failures".

You have to imagine that this was delivered with the typical Japanese politeness, despite being as subtle as a brick to the face. I was being reprimanded.

But carrying on from this, it caused me to notice when I saw people deal with minimum-wage workers, like waiters, people at fast food places, cleaners... And while people in Japan are as varied as anywhere (in Tokyo, I often saw drunk people be dicks to servers just like anywhere else) as a broad generalisation, people treated those workers with respect.

Part of me wondered whether or not this has to do with how, in school, all students clean their own school toilets, classrooms and grounds, with the schools only having a "deep clean" a few times a year by professionals. I'm not sure. I'm not a social scientist.

However, despite the fact that Britain and Japan are often compared as hierarchical societies, they couldn't be any more different in this respect. At a busy lunch in a British McDonald's, if I'm in a queue, I always see one person treat the staff in a manner where I don't know how they resist the urge to vault the counter and punch them in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                People voted against voting reform.
                                Don't care. When parties are gaming the system, it suggests there's something logically wrong with it. They should be competing for the democratic mandate of the people, not scoring points in some kind of game. It needs to be changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X