Packing up consoles for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packing up consoles for sale

This is probably gonna be weird to some people and obvious to others - but does anyone ever get a bit melancholy when packaging up a console for sale?

Whenever I do it, I always remember when I packaged up my Saturn. I was approaching my GCSEs and the games were drying up, so it seemed the right time (it would've been worth peanuts 6 months later) but I had it for a pretty formative part of my childhood. I'm not talking about being super-sentimental about the specific machine, I mean it's just a computer in a box, but rather the bookend of a bit of an era.

I was thinking about this today as I box up my PS4. It's been a weird one as my PS4 was almost entirely a VR machine, but that's strange as locations in VR games provoke a strong sense of geographic "place".

I do, yes. But then again I know that even if I didn't sell it, most of the times it would have sat unused for extended periods of time. So in the end it's better it goes to someone that will use and appreciate it more than I will.

Comment

I think of all the good games I still haven't played on a system which in the past has stopped me from going through with the sale. I've done it enough times now to know that I never get round to playing said games and like DaytimeDreamer, the system just sits there collecting dust.

Reminding myself of that makes it easier to let go of stuff. Better to unclutter my house and let someone else enjoy it

Comment

I have never sold a console. Which is why I have way too many!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I have never sold a console. Which is why I have way too many!
          I also haven't sold any consoles -- but bought way too many. I just couldn't resist when retro consoles were so cheap between 2000-2015.

But I would sell a Dreamcast if they were suddenly worth £200. The only regret I have is not buying a Vectrex when they were relatively cheap and in good condition.

I think it's sensible to have at least two of every machine you're fond of/interested in. Hardware will definitely fail at some point, so I like to have backup machines in storage.

Comment

A little bit... I've sold my N64DD, Jaguar (with T2K and rotary controller) and Nuon (with full set of games) over the last few years, but the money has gone to good use elsewhere. Currently, that's my daughter, but I'm selling off other stuff not just games right now to slim down my holdings (comics, posters, artwork etc).
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
            X