Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    So, two weeks ago we took a look at Xenon. Now it's time to take a look at Xenon II, a game that may be effected by rose tinted glasses than many others out there.
    So much stuff looking back is effected with rose-tinted classes IMO. In 89 this was a fab looking and sounding shooter and also played good too. I'm amazed at how good the Master System version looks and yes I like the music in that, more than the MD.

Shame you didn't cover the Amiga CDTV/CD32 version. I loved the remix in that and yes music can really add to a game.

Comment

KO! Acorn wins! Perfect!

Comment

Fammydodd does a wonderful rendition of Bomb Da Bass on the paper comb. He was third place in a talent competition at his local community center a few years back,

Comment

I always thought Xenon 2 was over-rated. The art is good of course, especially as it's designed around the Atari ST's limitations (4-bit/16 colours, palette of 512), but the game never impressed me. It was of course, like all Bitmap games all on the CPU and designed to be cross platform, meaning 30fps and the Amiga's custom chips unused.

I even hated the music!

Back in the day I saw Japanese shooters in the arcades and they were what I wanted. 60fps, lots of colour, very high speed, and tons of parallax. It wasn't until I got a MegaDrive that I finally got my wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
            The art is good of course
            It's like a demo of what should have been a much broader complete game. There should have been proper variety between the levels and different music tracks to enjoy. That's the way Japanese devs approached shoot 'em up design -- even when they had only 8mb(1 megabyte) or less of storage space. It's like The Bitmap Bros created a reasonably fancy first level, bunged an impressive(but maybe not really suited to a shooter) piece of music in the mix, then rushed the rest of the game. It just doesn't stand up at all next to how expertly designed the best Japanese shoot 'em ups are.

When I look at Xenon II, I see lots of potential for its art style to form a much more satisfying overall game. It also needed to take more advantage of the Amiga's strong points to deliver something a bit richer graphically and pacier.

Seeing I didn't like the actual gameplay of Xenon II -- I wish I could have just bought a PD demo with the Bomb the Bass music and some fancy graphics to watch. It's not a finished product in my book; more like a very rushed creation that falls way short of satisfying shoot 'em up enthusiasts who have certain expectations for the genre that weren't delivered.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-11-2019, 02:59.

Comment

There's an error on this video where the C64 and ZX Spectrum ports are labelled as "Arcade". Sorry.

Here's one that you may have never heard of in the arcades but it still managed to get some home ports. Just a shame they're all crap.

Comment

There's an error on this video where the C64 and ZX Spectrum ports are labelled as "Arcade". Sorry.

Here's one that you may have never heard of in the arcades but it still managed to get some home ports. Just a shame they're all crap.

Never heard of it!

The arcade version looks alright though. WTF is the beefcake mouse pic all about, very random.

Comment

Nice to see an obscure arcade title covered, never saw this one in arcades and amazed it got an home ports.

Comment

Think a bit harsh on the C64 version there. And they were all budget releases too iirc, so it cost me the sum of £3...
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Think a bit harsh on the C64 version there. And they were all budget releases too iirc, so it cost me the sum of £3...
                      Nah, it plays like crap budget or not.

Comment

A game about pigs blowing each other up?

Comment

UXB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexploded_ordnance

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            I guess I've lost touch with my mother tounge

Comment

Zool was a game Amiga fans loved and even went as far as saying it was the Sonic The Hedgehog killer. Was it? I doubt it but let's take a look.

Please think about supporting the show by subscribing to the channel or becoming my patron. Thank you so much!
                              creating Gaming Videos - Hardware and software reviews

Email at [email protected]
                              Facebook - Retro Core BotP
                              Twitter - [MENTION=14301]ReTrO[/MENTION]CoreYakumo
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Times Line

00:23 - Amiga
                              02:34 - Amiga CD32
                              04:04 - Acorn Archenemies
                              05:15 - Atari ST
                              06:31 - MS DOS
                              07:56 - Mega Drive
                              09:55 - Super Famicom / SNES
                              11:16 - Master System
                              12:37 - Game Gear
                              13:54 - Game Boy
                              15:19 - All versions side by side

Comment

it was the Sonic The Hedgehog killer.
                                Zool's extremely nauseating genericness might kill Sonic. A technically decent game with a severe lack of inventiveness. I've always disliked it, even if I can sort of understand why people bought it.

Comment

Working...
                                X