No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] ... much appreciated.

Comment

Hmm, seems to have been a while since this thread was visited ...

Fujifilm have announced a new camera, the X-Pro 3. It has a feature that's going to raise some eyebrows (and personally I think it's very much a gimmick), the camera hides its actual screen and has a small LCD on the back that does not have a live view.

I don't understand why they didn't make the screen fully articulating, allowing you to have either side of the screen active. I like the X-Pro series, but this really seems a bit silly to me.

In other news I picked up a Sony A7II recently and it's fantastic, although the price of the top end lenses overshadows even Nikon.

Comment

Crappy quality, but love this selfie on the South Downs, with the clouds all zooming out of Rocky.

Comment

For me the Canon M6II and Nikon Z50 look good, might get a Z50 next year for the hols, took the D4 +85mm + 28mm to Amsterdam for a few days and was a bit on the heavy side for holiday snaps.

Previous to that was in Amsterdam at the Polderbaan to get some plane graphs which is what the D4 is better for.

Comment

Got an interesting little camera from eBay this weekend

It's like the old Ricoh GR Digital bodies (not the new ones with the APS-C sensor) but with a zoom lens. ISO performance is a little weak (it's 2007 vintage) and the motors inside it aren't exactly discrete, but it has the snap focus and all the manual intervention you need on such a camera. Had the attachable EVF with it too.

Comment

Nice one Marty, really enjoy seeing the stuff you buy, just read the DPReview review on it, interesting camera.

Comment

You can see the noise at 800 ISO, but it's not unusable - in B&W it looks quite nice, so I defo want to try it out at the w/e as a street photography cam. What I'd really like is a Ricoh GR III, but they're £800 at the moment

I do like how it feels in the hand and it'll be easily usable single handed. It actually has IBIS, albiet a fairly early implementation of such a feature.

Comment

Quite pleased with this quick stop for a pic during a fast run with Rocky this morning:

Often tricky to take pics into the sun because everything goes dark, but the leaves of the tree sorted that out whilst giving a sheet of colour

Comment

Cool - with the going dark stuff, you just need to learn how to use exposure compensation or get a camera with a better dynamic range

I would have liked to be able to stop by the side of the road this morning to get some shots, but there's really no where safe to pull up without a long walk. Light was fab this morning, and typically a work day.

Did get this though.

Comment

Cheers. I need to figure out how to use cameras properly really. The Panasonic normally gets it right on auto, but the phone (used for this pic) is very random.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Cheers. I need to figure out how to use cameras properly really. The Panasonic normally gets it right on auto, but the phone (used for this pic) is very random.
                        With phones you can usually tap on an area and the phone will then take its exposure reading from that part of the screen, it will also refocus on that area too.

Of course it may overexpose other parts of the scene but you might find it useful to play around and practise to give you an idea of how it works.

Comment

Cheers will try

Comment

Had some enquiries into buying some of my prints, but they only wanted to pay £10. How am I supposed to live off that?

Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2019, 15:47.

Comment

Think they missed a few zero's off Marty!

Really like number one, so much going on, the beautiful reflection then you see the huge cloud formation then your eye see the duck? swimming on the water - oh and there's a lovely sunset too.

Far beyond my capabilities, excellent stuff.

Comment

Thanks - it's actually sunrise I've had a 45x30" print made of it, although a frame that size is going to be around £50 for it. Taken with the D800 so plenty of resolution even close up. It's one of my favourites I've taken this year.

That cloud was only in the sky for about 2/3 minutes or so as there was a fair breeze on (the pic below is about 30 seconds later), so a bit of luck with that pic too.

This was ten mins later

Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2019, 22:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X