No announcement yet.

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished this game yesterday and was really impressed. The voice acting in the game makes you feel a real connection to the characters it is so well done. The characters seem to show real emotion, they crack jokes, they get upset and all this made the game really immersive for me. There's a mixture of styles in the game from puzzle solving, a bit of platforming and some stealth along with the usual adventure game stuff. It took me about 17 hours to complete the game although I have heard of people finishing it in a much shorter time than that.

I played the PC version so the loading times were virtually non-existent and I used a PS pad for the controls so these weren't an issue either as the game has blatantly been designed to be played with a control pad and not keys.

A lot of people have complained about the bugs in the game and I experienced one myself. I got to a point where there was two items to select on screen but I could not scroll through the items so was not able to solve the puzzle but I somehow got past by changing to a lower resolution which solved it.

I would say that if you enjoyed any of the Broken Sword series prior to this then you will like this but I think they are trying to make the game appeal to more people by adding the 3-d element. I really enjoyed the box shifting element and while none of them were particularly taxing they usually took a while to get right. The shorter quicktime scenes were ok but the longer ones like the crash-bandicoot style run into the screen one was a pain in the arse especially when you had to watch the whole preceeding cut scene again.

It's weird that a game with so many flaws should be so enjoyable and I was really keen to finish this which I don't often do these days. I almost agree with the edge score because I think that this game really does bring the adventure game genre bang up to date.

Comment

Started playing this yesterday - I'm a BS fan so I couldn't wait to play it. The controls are great, they make the gameplay very intuitive.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit buggy - the scenery disappeared on me in the Paris apartment and late on in Glastonbury the game crashed.

I've read comments about PS2 borders but my PAL PS2 version is fullscreen (on an import PS2).

The characterisation is hilarious though, it's so clich?d(and then some ).

Comment

Whats going on with the US ps2/gc versions? I cant see them for sale on any web retailers. Is it getting a release on consoles Stateside?

Comment

Okay, this game is putting me off George & Nico. To be accurate, I hate them now. Why the unskippable cutscenes Revolution?

Parts of the game really pissed me off, particularly the bits where you have to sneak about because there's only one solution and it isn't always the best one IMO.

The box puzzles and climbing bits are pretty lazy also. It's not always obvious what you can climb which means I waste a lot of time trying other stuff.

I'm all for the adventure game moving forward, but the implementation here isn't too great unfortunately. I'm pretty close to finishing it. Here's hoping that George & Nico get killed at the end

Comment

Just completed it......(spoilers so beware)

The Good Points:

Decent Storyline
            Good Voice acting
            Some well thought out puzzles
            Witty and humerous

The Bad points:

Technically its a shambles
            Bugs, Bugs and more Bugs (pull out the bottles in the wrong order and its time to reset)
            The worst loading times ever, which often destroy the antmosphere (dam I forgot somthing in the previous room, noooooo, just painful)
            Terrible animation, which really destroys the believability of the characters
            Some totally illogical puzzles (hmm I'll use the drain pipe hinge to open the window, wtf!!)
            Conversations are often just a case of exhausting every avenue
            Not another box puzzle, arrrggghhhh
            Stealth, I mean seriously its awful, I got shot whilst standing behind two walls from a guy who couldn't see me but heard me (shocking AI)
            The final boss, why try and do an action section when it adds nothing to the game.

So much potential, but also so many problems. I did enjoy it, but it really is as gamesTM said "one step forward, two steps back" I seriously don't understand how EDGE gave this title a 9/10, the worst mistake since Turok 2's 9/10, by far.

Shifting crates saved the world :P 5/10

Comment

I totally agree with you Rusty. I have only played it for a 1 hour, but can't seem to get myself interested.

The loading time of the Xbox is not that bad if you copy the game onto the HD, cuts it down to about under 5 seconds.

Comment

Working...
              X