WRC3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WRC3

Snagged a copy of Evo's WRC 3 (along with NFS:U) today. As with my NFS impressions I've not had an extensive play of it yet, just a few quick rallies and I've just started a WRC season.

I'll address a couple of issues I, and most other people, had with the previous installment. Firstly, the sticky barrier problem looks to be pretty much fixed. I tested it by wall riding along the barriers on one of the Monte Carlo rallies and I only encountered it once. During a serious rally attempt I've yet to have my car flip out on me due to the problem. Secondly, the steering is now true analog when using the analog sticks, though it's not great. It seems very twitchy at the moment, but that could be down to playing CMR4 a lot over the last month. A few rallies in and I should start to getting used to it.

On top of everything featured in the last game I've noticed a few extra touches. You can now get the history of every rally, team, car and driver. There's also a nice 3D 'explosion' model when viewing the cars, allowing you to see just how many parts these models are made from. In game it looks pretty much like the previous game, well the environments do anyway, the cars look much nicer (GT3 quality). There's more track detail now, such as stones strewn across and trackside foliage, the former we've not really encountered in a rally game yet. It all helps create a convincing rally experience.

There's a good in car view, but not quite as good as that seen in CMR4, but very usable never-the-less.

That's all for now...

If the sticky barriers are fixed, then I'll be very happy!

Comment

Are there any online elements to this version of the game?

Comment

Nope not a whiff of any online features.

Comment

Progressed a little further into the season now and I'm glad to say the handling has improved. It seems the initially twitchy nature was a product of the tarmac road surface, get the car on snow or gravel and it becomes much more respectable. I would rather have CMR4 handling, but we can't have everything can we? Can't comment on any of the other rallies, but the Swedish and Turkish rallies are absolutely incredible. No other game comes close to recreating what it must feel like to be driving on these stretches of road. One of the Swedish stages takes you on to a frozen lake, and as you come down to the edge you can see the stage snaking it's way around the lake all the way to the other side. Definitely a 'woah' moment

Comment

Is it worth getting this game or should I stick with XBOX Colin McRae Rally 3 until USA Version of Colin McRae Rally 4 for XBOX released.

Comment

Definitely worth getting, it's by far my favorite rally game right now. CMR4 is very good, the handling is great, and I enjoyed it immensely, but WRC3 is head and shoulders above it when talking about content. The stages are just far superior.

Comment

I was worried that CMR04 was going to make this game redundant, but Evolution have stepped up with this new version and made a great, enjoyable rally game.

Firstly, it looks brilliant. The car models, environments and detail level is as good as McRae - seriously. A lot of the time I could actually believe I was playing Xbox CMR. For those who complain about the lack of viewing angles in CMR04, well WRC3 has many useable options, with similar in-car atmospheric views and sounds. As before the excellent replays are back, so you can watch all your mistakes and laugh at your incompetence, whilst enjoying the views.

Secondly, the stages! I've always preferred the stage design in the WRC series (although the latest McRae stages are very good) as they are generally varied and highly typical for the country involved. The changes in camber, inclination, surface type and viewing conditions are well realised and offer something a bit different from CMR. However, the best element has always been their length, which once again is on display here. If you can settle into a good early rhythmn, then driving some of these is a real treat as you flow from one turn to the next.

Finally, I would suggest that Evolution have made a major effort to produce a far superior sequel that what could have been expected. The handling is not as sensitive or twitchy as before and overall it delivers a good driving model that doesn't appear to cause any major frustration. The sticky barriers have been disposed of (yes!!!) and the damage modelling is much improved, with good visual representation and noticeable effects on the car. (My head-on rock face stunt cause a drastic reduction in power and an appropriate sick sounding engine)

All the basic cars now have unlockable upgrade versions, plus further 'evolution' models (like before) and they can be taken for a spin around a well designed test track area, where you can check out top speeds on the bowl, hoon around a skidpan area or take to mini stages.

If you like your rally games and want something that offers 2003 cars and drivers, with plenty of great stages (love NZ) and better than expected visuals for PS2, then I would obviously suggest you check it out.

Comment

Got this on Weds and i'm returning it for Project Gotham Racing 2...

I knew i shouldn't have got it, but since i love my rallying, i couldn't resist. Anyway, to the points that really grate me:

- Lack of car adjustment.
                  Why only can you change 3 things for the car (gear ratio/ suspension, can't remember the last one) and only 3 section variables?
                  Also you can't change steering sensitivity.

- Lack of manual damage repair.

- Lack of damage.
                  I've spent ages in the test track trying to bust up my car. All i could do was knacker the engine until black smoke came out, the gearing goes dodgy, although the engine doesn't quite cut out like CM04. Never had my steering or suspension been damaged, since it steers as straight as an arrow, even after all that pounding the car took. Also no wheels fell off either.
                  A lot of the damage is superficial.

- Petter Solberg/ Phil Mills bug.
                  Win a rally with Solberg, and when he goes to receive the trophy, somehow Tommi Makkinen & co-driver has taken his place.

What i do like:

- sticky barrier gone.
                  - car upgrades after certain mileage.
                  - stats.
                  - stages.
                  - more cars.

Suffice to say, i'd be more weary when WRC4 comes out next year... I'll probably still buy it though

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                    - Lack of car adjustment.
                    Why only can you change 3 things for the car (gear ratio/ suspension, can't remember the last one) and only 3 section variables?
                    Also you can't change steering sensitivity.

- Lack of manual damage repair.
                    I think this is because in a real rally the driver does none of that stuff. Why concern themselves with wheel camber when they've got 40 miles of the roughest road surfaces on the planet to contend with in the next few minutes. Also it's supposed to be a driving game, not an mechanic game. I for one can say I don't get any extra enjoyment out of a rally game that does include those features.

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht

- Petter Solberg/ Phil Mills bug.
                    Win a rally with Solberg, and when he goes to receive the trophy, somehow Tommi Makkinen & co-driver has taken his place.
                    I don't even think it's supposed to be them either, I think they're just generic models. Yeah but it's a bit weird that Evo couldn't be bothered to map their faces on.

As for the damage, if you had unlocked the higher difficulty settings you'd find your car is more prone to damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeywrench
                      I for one can say I don't get any extra enjoyment out of a rally game that does include those features.
                      Whereas i for one, do.

They might as well dispensed with the tune ups (or lack thereof) and just had a 'Go race'

Originally posted by Monkeywrench
                      don't even think it's supposed to be them either, I think they're just generic models. Yeah but it's a bit weird that Evo couldn't be bothered to map their faces on.
                      It is meant to be Solberg & Mills.
                      Then why bother having the cutscene, when they aint going to bother mapping the real persons face. Another giveaway is the 2 Finnish flags that are on their backs.
                      So you're saying that the Makkinen & Co-driver model template is the norm for every driver who wins a rally?

Comment

By 'them' I meant Makkinen and co driver. It's just that when I've used other drivers and I'm pretty sure it used the same generic models (well faces) with different overalls applied. From the looks of it it's not just one error, it probably got overlooked in the rush to get it out of the door.

Comment

I'm enjoying WRC3 at the moment, but not having played the second one I can't really comment on how much of an improvement it is. It does compare well with CMR4 on Xbox, though, so it is obviously doing something right

I too initially found the steering to be a bit twitchy, but with practice you get used to it. The stage design is fantastic - different but as good as CMR4. As a whole, the game seems much faster than CMR - there's a real sense of speed that perhaps was lacking from the latest Colin effort, fine though it was.

The only thing that's bugging me at the moment are the difficulty levels. On Novice you pretty much win every stage first time, but on Professional (the only other level initially available) I can't ever get above 9th or 10th. Now, I'm probably not the greatest rally game player ever, but at the moment it seems like the choice is between coasting through or taking on an impossible challenge.

Any advice? Do you get a better car for winning the Novice Championship, for example?

Comment

I absolutely love this game, after only one day of serious play. This isn't going to be a particularly constructive entry though. I just want to whinge about one thing which has continually annoyed me about this series:-

Why can't you configure your own buttons?

Maybe it's the shape of my hands, but I've always found changing gears with L1 and R1 quite uncomfortable, and where possible I always put the gears on L2 and R2. It seems that it would take so little effort to allow the player to change this that I don't know why it's not just included in all games.

Oh well, I suppose I can live with aching hands!

Comment

There should be no serious technical reasons why any configuration of buttons can't be offered to the player. As EyeToy has proved, ease of use is a primary concern - we are actually trying to have fun and enjoy the experience!

I feel your pain sharky_ob!

Comment

Working...
                              X