No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading The Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski at the moment. It's the second of the books in the Witcher series that the game's based on to be translated into English, and I loved the first one. This one's a standard novel rather than the short story collection format of the first one, but I'm not really far enough into it to have a feel for things yet.

When I've finished this I'm going to go back and finish the Dark Tower series, which will involve starting Wizard and Glass again because I stopped in 2006, so it's a bit faded in my memory. I still can't remember why I stopped because I was loving it.

I've also been dabbling in ebooks with Stanza on my iPhone. It's got loads of free classics that I can download from anywhere, and I've been loading it up. I'm quite enjoying some Poe.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
      Portent by James Herbert.
      So so that one.. Never reaches the heights of Fluke or Rats.

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King. Quite brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
        So so that one.. Never reaches the heights of Fluke or Rats.

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King. Quite brilliant.
        If you like Herbert, read his Odd Thomas books. They are good. As is Survivor and The Fog (why oh why didn't the films follow the book). Stupid f*cking film about pirates, has nothing at all to do with the book.

Not read anything by King in years as he tends to bore me to tears these days. He over complicates things by writing 20 pages to set a scenario when 5 would do. King peaked for me with The Stand and The Talisman (one of my all time favourites)

Also if you like horrors or thrillers, read the Necroscope series by Brain Lumley. The best set of fiction books i have ever read. I actually think the movie jumper was based on the character in these books

Robert McCammon has also wrote some absolute blinding books: The Wolfs Hour, They Thirst, Swan Song, Stinger in particular are all brillaint.
        Last edited by NemesiS; 04-02-2009, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
          If you like Herbert, read his Odd Thomas books. They are good. As is Survivor and The Fog (why oh why didn't the films follow the book). Stupid f*cking film about pirates, has nothing at all to do with the book.

Not read anything by King in years as he tends to bore me to tears these days. He over complicates things by writing 20 pages to set a scenario when 5 would do. King peaked for me with The Stand and The Talisman (one of my all time favourites)

Also if you like horrors or thrillers, read the Necroscope series by Brain Lumley. The best set of fiction books i have ever read. I actually think the movie jumper was based on the character in these books

Robert McCammon has also wrote some absolute blinding books: The Wolfs Hour, They Thirst, Swan Song, Stinger in particular are all brillaint.
          Aye, enjoyed the 'Brain' Lumley Necroscope books got a bit weird though. If you like The Talisman then try 'The Eyes of the Dragon' and 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' . The latter is a short story, but good. I'd still recommend Duma Key - it's a little.... convienient in the last few chapters but I barely put it down.

Haven't read any McCammon - is they horror-ish or what?

Comment

Aye, enjoyed the 'Brain' Lumley Necroscope books got a bit weird though. If you like The Talisman then try 'The Eyes of the Dragon' and 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' . The latter is a short story, but good. I'd still recommend Duma Key - it's a little.... convienient in the last few chapters but I barely put it down.

Haven't read any McCammon - is they horror-ish or what?
            I read the Eyes of the Dragon years ago. Bit of a departure at the time for King. Wasn't to bad though if i remember right and wasn't it part of the Dark Tower series? Don't think i have read the other.

Robert R McCammon imo is a better version of Stephen King at telling stories. He does horror - adventure - thriller, no real pidgeon hole for him. He actually stopped writing mainstream fiction for about 10 years until last year when he released a few new titles about the Salem witch trials. His early stuff is fantastic though, especially the ones i mentioned above. But he has wrote quite a bit and his other stuff like Bethanys Sin, Baal, and The Night Boat are all really good page turners.

Comment

Eye's of the Dragon is the sequel to The Talisman. And the little sisters story is also related, the latter definately leaning towards the Dark Tower stuff.

Right - I'll look up Mr McCammon.

Comment

Eye's of the Dragon is the sequel to The Talisman. And the little sisters story is also related, the latter definately leaning towards the Dark Tower stuff.

Right - I'll look up Mr McCammon.
                The sequel to the Talisman is The Black House. I read it a few years back. It's set years later and follows the same kid, (whose now grown up), who saves his mum in the talisman.

I think your thinking of the wrong book. Eyes of the dragon is from the dark tower series, i'm sure of it

Also, Weave world by clive barker is very good and if you can find them, his books of blood. Short stories but briliant and very different to the norm for horror stories. I think there are 2 or 3 books that contain all the volumes in the series with all the stories in them, but they are quite hard to find.

Another good story is The Nightland by an author called William Hope Hobson. Written about 100 years ago and once you get used to the style of writing, its one of the best stories out there. The premise is its set after the sun has burned out and the survival of the human race rests with one man who sets out from the last sanctuary of the human race into the darkness which is full of demons and monsters to find his wife and salvation.
                This book is mega hard to find as it came in two volumes and your better finding the chronicled volume containing both. My dad had the hardback which he gave me years back and its worth a bit money now i reckon as last time i looked the PB's were selling for a bit.

Comment

Currently reading Eric Clapton's autobiography, after my mum lent it to me.

Well written, quite open and honest, but what a tosser! Not much in there to redeem himself; a drunken borderline-racist outburst, a lot of pompous, selfish and self-centered behaviour and terrible tales of addiction and things done under the influence.

I was ambivalent towards him (and his music) before I started reading, but thus far, I can say that I'm not impressed.

Comment

The sequel to the Talisman is The Black House. I read it a few years back. It's set years later and follows the same kid, (whose now grown up), who saves his mum in the talisman.

I think your thinking of the wrong book. Eyes of the dragon is from the dark tower series, i'm sure of it

Also, Weave world by clive barker is very good and if you can find them, his books of blood. Short stories but briliant and very different to the norm for horror stories. I think there are 2 or 3 books that contain all the volumes in the series with all the stories in them, but they are quite hard to find.

Another good story is The Nightland by an author called William Hope Hobson. Written about 100 years ago and once you get used to the style of writing, its one of the best stories out there. The premise is its set after the sun has burned out and the survival of the human race rests with one man who sets out from the last sanctuary of the human race into the darkness which is full of demons and monsters to find his wife and salvation.
                    This book is mega hard to find as it came in two volumes and your better finding the chronicled volume containing both. My dad had the hardback which he gave me years back and its worth a bit money now i reckon as last time i looked the PB's were selling for a bit.
                    Done the Clive Barker thang - bit of a love/hate relationship with his stuff.
                    Thanks for the heads up on The Nightland, sounds ace.

Final Word on Mr King?: http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/connections.html

Comment

Recently finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - class.

Now reading English Passengers by Matthew Kneale - also class.

Comment

Just finished the last 2 books in the River God series by Wilbur Smith. Warlock and The Quest. Very good page turners and typical Smith books.

Starting the last Harry Potter when i go to bed ( when i have watched the Hulk on ITV 2). Not really sure i can be arsed to be honest as all the books since the Goblet of Fire have been ****e and bereft of ideas.
                        Wilbur Smith - archeaological shagging!!

Potter - just read the last chapter, you'll save yourself a lot of time. I've never read a book where so little happens for so long.

Comment

Just started "A Briefer History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, so far so good

Comment

Halfway through Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict at the moment, which is good, but I want more Harry Bosch.

Comment

Finished The Brass Verdict on Monday & now started Run For Your Life by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge, which has lovely short chapters making it ideal to breeze through in a few days.

Comment

Some Rebus detective thing by Rankin. Not really digging it.

Just about to start Bad Science, but since at the end of the intro the author says if you disagree with him you are wrong, it's not a great start. He should read how to win friends and influence people.

Comment

Working...
                                X