Don't laugh, but I've forgotten how to hold a N64 controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't laugh, but I've forgotten how to hold a N64 controller

This is really embarressing but I can't seem to get on with any games. I'm holding the middle prong in my left hand, but can't reach the L button for games like Wave Race.

If I try holding the two outer prongs, it feels really unnatural. What the hell's going on?

Unless the game uses the D-pad you should always have your left hand on the middle prong.
    You shouldn't need the L button in-game on Wave Race, or any intelligently thought out game control system - normally the Z trigger will be used instead.

Comment

I recently came back to play f-zero x after neglecting the N64 for about a year and a half, and it all came flooding back. Just like riding a bike, you never forget how to hold an N64 controller man! Then again I tried to play New Tetris as well, and it took me a while to get used to holding the d-pad prong again, so I'll let you off...this time.

Comment

Yeah I cant think of any games that required the use of the analogue stick and the 'L' button at the same time. Some games would use the 'Z' button as a replacement, and if memory serves me correctly some use the 'R' button + the direction of the analogue stick.

Comment

Just ignore the entire left side of the controller when you hold it and you'll be fine. I really don't think the Dpad is even connected to anything.

Comment

Getting the hang of it now

Been playing plenty of Goldeneye and I'm slowly returning to my original skill level.

Comment

l/dpad are not really used in games using the stick apart from say turok 2 uses the l to turn scope on and off and the dpad to crouch. God that game was bad. But i love n64 and i still think its got the best analogue pad going.
              ps1/2-too cramped
              dreamcast-HAHAHAAH awful, destroys your hands, useless analogue stick
              cube-not too bad, weird zbutton
              xbox big- stupid button/stick placement
              xbox puny- more stupid button placement and buttons moving about, bad branding/bad for devs

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                Yeah I cant think of any games that required the use of the analogue stick and the 'L' button at the same time. Some games would use the 'Z' button as a replacement, and if memory serves me correctly some use the 'R' button + the direction of the analogue stick.
                Doom 64. This awesome game was spoilt because of this :\

Comment

Every game on the N64 was spoiled for me because of that bizzare, deformed boomerang pad, mind you.......the vaseline graphics didn't help much either.

Yes, I suppose this is a troll, but I'm utterly convinced that for everyone who loved the N64 pad there were another ten people going 'wtf?'.

Comment

Troll!!!! :P

I can't believe how you dont like it! It rawked

Comment

I loved it, and if it weren't for God's law I'd marry it!

Comment

Working...
                      X