This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Mermaid III
    Weaker story justification, it explains the absence of Ariels mother but frames it around the kingdoms need for music without actually featuring much of it. But, the plus of the film is it's much better animated and closer to the original in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      Taped the old Brit 70s Tales From The Crypt on THC last week,

I watched every episode of the American tv show a few years back and really enjoyed most of the episodes. Definitely worth watching if you can find it. I think I have the British 'Tales From The Crypt' film on DVD somewhere.

Comment

The US show is great but totally unlike the British version. It's in line with the original US comics.

The British version is some weird anomaly. It's got this amazing sense of early 70s lurid British horror about it. The Joan Collins/psycho Santa scene I mentioned...it's all fully-lit in luridly hueful hues. This opulence, majestic. But with a vibe of grim, industrial Britain in the background.

The Americans are too obvious. This is like magic in comparison, it has spells to cast.

Comment

The British version isn't really a 'version', anyway, it's more a weird, one-off* reinterpretation.

*not really a one-off, check out The Vault Of Horror, From Beyond The Grave, Asylum, Tales That Witness Madness etc., there was an absolute glut of these anthologies around that time and I bloody loved them!!!!!

Cheggidout. The 'portmanteau horror' genre. Especially them early 70s Brit ones with peeps like Ian Hendry in.

"eyes like pissholes in the snow".

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            The US show is great but totally unlike the British version. It's in line with the original US comics.
            Yeah, the American television series has nothing to do with the British film, apart from being focused on spooky tales. There's definitely something grim about 60s and 70s British horror. The American show has a lot in common with the 80s Twilight Zone. I really enjoyed it. I'll try to find the British film in my DVD collection that's in storage at the moment.

Comment

It's on The Horror Channel at the mo. Tape it, they've got a decent print.

Just watched Brawl In Cell Block 99. I've been looking forward to this in an understated but hotly enthusiastic way, hearing words like "gritty" and "brutal" bandied about muchly in reviews I've skimmed for fear of spoilers. Alas, it's pretty cack. It has a few very great elements about it but a multitude more crappy elements. Best part is Vince Vaughn as Mike Haggar, jeezis he even smashes a car up with his fists and you can tell that it's real, no way are his shredded fists a special effect, not with the way he punches that car's light in and wrenches out the bulb like a big eyeball.

Yeah. It's great when Vaughn's ragin', he just batters people and mashes heads into the floor with stellar, thump n' bump sound fx. He's ace.

But there's not much of it. It's a very loooooong movie. About 2hrs 10mins. And he only enters prison in the last 50mins. The preceding section is very dull and murky, a drama of sorts, a drama that doesn't work that well, is not very engaging or convincing. Vaughn's character is just very dull when he isn't smashing ish apart. And the 'prison' feels like it only has ten people in it.

Stick to Oz if you want true prison badassery. I can't really recommend this bar the violence. But that alone may make it worth a look, The Story Of Ricky was clearly an influence.

Not "gritty" or "brutal" enough. Needs more ragin'.

Comment

On the night shift I was able to watch The Witch (superstition) V Classic horror and made me jump once or twice. Haven't watched it in years, and forgot how bloody great this film is

Comment

wrong thread
                  Last edited by Zen Monkey; 03-05-2019, 12:15.

Comment

Watched all three Raimi Spider-Man films and then The Amazing Spider-Man.

Apparently AS2 is a bit rubbish but I'll watch it anyway.

It's quite fun watching these other films in light of the MCU stuff. Even while joking around, the MCU takes itself very seriously, especially where the villains are concerned. Lines like "you haven't seen the last of me, Spider-Man!!!" just don't feature.

Andrew Garfield handles the emotional stuff much better than Tobey Maguire but I find his Parker is pretty unlikeable. I’ve never read the comics so I don’t know what Parker is supposed to be like but this one is neither goofy like Tobey’s, nor adorably polite and naive like Tom Holland’s. He’s cool in some ways(webbing Gwen over to him on the balcony) and awkward in others.

I did like his Spider-Man, though. He was very spider-y, like when he tied the webs together in the sewer and waited for the vibrations. He had an attitude with criminals which was good fun. And he had the proper web shooters, not that organic nonsense that made it look like Maguire had come on his own wrists.

The Stan Lee cameo was brilliant, too.

Comment

I watched Get Out on Netflix last night, neither caring nor knowing what to expect, I'd heard it was a cool movie that had sharp comedic and racial themes with some kind of horror element tacked on (I was expecting a Scream-style slasher).

But, no. It's cleverer than that. It's more like a Wicker Man typa thaaaaang. It starts off brrrrrilliant.

But once it gets where it gets...it's almost like ya switch off, surprise over. I'm not sure that surprise satisfied. I was expecting Las Plagas typa shid n what I got wasn't as cool. In the end, even with my initially envisaged more satisfying scenario, it was like a stretched 60s Twilight Zone episode with a message but trying to be all multicunnilingual in how it handles its biz.

It's a good good movie though. I'd give it like 69% or summat. It's really economical and minimal with its shots and the lighting is so organic and beautiful, esp early on.

I loved lots about it tho. It's very Monty Python in bits, Andre Logan King FTW.

Comment

Just watched Billy Liar again, haven't seen it since I was like 14. A very strange 'kitchen sink' type of early 60s Brit movie set in a working class world full of factories and fishwives. HEAVILY atmospheric. This is a heavy umami dose of mid-20th century England.

Crazy film. I just don't like the overdose of comedy elements, sometimes the actors try to 'act funny' and it subtracts a bit. But only a bit. It's basically a film about a wastrel loser who lies and daydreams too much and ends up...

NO SPOILER ALERT

Watch it, cheggiddddouddd. You never get movies like this.

I'm not saying I think it's aces, it's just I think it's like a thousand piece goodie bag fulla shoit and about 77% are beautiful random jewels in the palm

Comment

1963, btw. If you wanna see what West Yorkshire looked like in super-smoky B&W then this is your movie. Also has Rodney Bewes.

Comment

Missus out on 'Friends With Benefits' this afternoon while I watched the Man Utd game on my phone.

Although, I spent more time watching the film than the footy. I'd seen it years ago and forgotten how entertaining it is.

JT and Mila Kunis are really likeable and there's some good laughs throughout.

We then started watching 'The Spy Who Dumped Me' but found it confusing in what genre it wanted to be in. We stopped after about 30 minutes.

We'll probably go back to it at some point but when we're a bit more awake.
                            Last edited by teddymeow; 05-05-2019, 18:52.

Comment

Aquaman

Very CGI driven, but I enjoyed it. It reminded me of Thor. The brother and half-brother (although roles are reversed in this). The mother they both dote on. The need to prove worthy of a mythical weapon. The unity of tech and the ancient.

DC do these standalone films far better than they manage the ensemble stuff.

Comment

Watched Kong Skull Island. Started off well but must’ve become crap because I can’t remember the last half hour or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X