No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at Bury last weekend. It seems all the vs fighting cabs have moved to Leeds. Would you say this is correct or have they just gone altogether?

If I had one criticism, and I feel bad criticising what is a gaming Mecca, it is that there are too few fighters and zero SNK representation. No KoF, Fatal Fury or SamSho games is inexcusable!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      I was at Bury last weekend. It seems all the vs fighting cabs have moved to Leeds. Would you say this is correct or have they just gone altogether?

If I had one criticism, and I feel bad criticising what is a gaming Mecca, it is that there are too few fighters and zero SNK representation. No KoF, Fatal Fury or SamSho games is inexcusable!
      Yes, you're right that they're now at Leeds. They also had a row of Mortal Kombat games, Tekken 7 and I *think* I saw Capcom versus SNK, amongst others (I know that's not the kind of SNK representation you're really talking about!).

I personally preferred floor 2 at Bury how it was in the early days, but that's probably because I often go on my own and want to sit in a dark corner playing shmups. I completely understand the games they have in there now are very popular.

When I was there last week, Ketsui had gone, which is one of my favourites. I'm hoping it might show up again soon. I can totally appreciate it's getting very tight for space now and they still want to add new things to keep it fresh. I presume the third floor is still coming at some stage which might give them some more options.
      Last edited by ZipZap; 23-08-2019, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
        Yes, you're right that they're now at Leeds. They also had a row of Mortal Kombat games, Tekken 7 and I *think* I saw Capcom versus SNK, amongst others (I know that's not the kind of SNK representation you're really talking about!).

I personally preferred floor 2 at Bury how it was in the early days, but that's probably because I often go on my own and want to sit in a dark corner playing shmups. I completely understand the games they have in there now are very popular.

When I was there last week, Ketsui had gone, which is one of my favourites. I'm hoping it might show up again soon. I can totally appreciate it's getting very tight for space now and they still want to add new things to keep it fresh. I presume the third floor is still coming at some stage which might give them some more options.
        Nah, floor 3 is where it’s at. I’ve got my routine of Galaga -> Star Wars -> Outrun -> Shinobi -> Strider and then I can play whatever. But I must say Jubeat on floor 2 does take a lot of my time, as does pinball and Quick & Crash.

Yeah, I noticed Ketsui was missing, which was annoying. But I tried Batrider which I’ve never really given much time to before, and I absolutely loved it. Sure, it’s not Ketsui, Batsugan or ESP Da Re, but it is nice to try something else.

Comment

The latest firmware for the Mega SG adds in the correct colour palette for SG-1000 games so I've been all over my Master System Gulkave repro. Such a tight game on underpowered hardware. Compile really knew their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            I've been all over my Master System Gulkave repro. Such a tight game on underpowered hardware. Compile really knew their stuff.

Compile were wizards.

Comment

Wow, that belongs in the parallax thread! SG-1000 is like a Colecovision in terms of power, right?

Comment

Have they fixed the trigger on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade at Arcade Club in Bury yet? It’s been sticking the last few times I’ve been there, I’ve got a high score to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  Wow, that belongs in the parallax thread! SG-1000 is like a Colecovision in terms of power, right?
                  The SG-1000 and Colecovision are very similar machines. Z80 CPU and a Texas Instruments TMS9918 based VDP. Doesn’t even have hardware scrolling!

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                    Have they fixed the trigger on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade at Arcade Club in Bury yet? It’s been sticking the last few times I’ve been there, I’ve got a high score to beat.
                    Sorry, I didn’t play it. It’s all about the original Atari Star Wars for me. Cockpit cab FTW.

Comment

Ex-Ranza, Same!Same!Same!, Sagia and Thunderforce III for me tonight. Can’t beat a good shmup.

Comment

Same!Same!Same!,
                        I think I'll stick to calling it Fire Shark.

Shoot 'em ups are probably my favourite genre -- never get bored of the best examples.

Comment

I decided to pick up wher I left off with Baldur's Gate earlier this year and imported my save into the sequel. Not too far yet, I'm still making my way through Irenicus' dungeon but I'm almost out.

The way the NPCs set him up is amazing; it's the start of the game and you already have a clear sense of just how twisted and dead inside the guy is. It's clear he has immense power, it's going to be one hell of a journey.

Comment

Ex-Ranza, Same!Same!Same!, Sagia and Thunderforce III for me tonight. Can’t beat a good shmup.
                            With the Mega SD set up. I must admit I've been playing loads of Master and Mega Drive games too (not just Mega CD) I've been enjoying the Master system games with FM sound. Played a lot of Gyoung too and that is such a gem of a shooter

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Played a lot of Gyoung too and that is such a gem of a shooter
                              That’s a cracking game. Weird aesthetics and an impressive amount of action on screen. It’s one of the few shmups where being attacked from behind doesn’t feel cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Played a lot of Gyoung too and that is such a gem of a shooter
                                Yeah, there's something extra special about Gynoug. Love the music, effects, and interesting sprite design.

Comment

Working...
                                X