Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Got it this morning, and i've put about an hour into it so far. Not trying to progress much, just messing about, getting used to the controls.

The intro movie is dead sweet, and i'm really impressed by the visuals, the ingame visuals too. Looks like the GC is handling them with ease, everything is running brilliantly.

The sound is amazing. I'm listening through Pro Logic 2, with it turned up loud. And my god, it's just incredable.

I've mainly been messing about in just the first section, which is kind of neat. Messing with the guards heads.

I'm playing through on Normal. But i'm quite tempted to start again on hard, to get the most out of the game. What about you? What difficulty have you started on? Anybody going to join me in starting on Hard?

Somethings which I can't remember from the original... Could you hang off balconies? And have a Level 1 Grip? I can't remember, it was so long ago! Just trying to think how to level up now...

Also, I noticed there's an option for collecting dogtags, which you couldn't do in the original, i'm sure of it. So maybe it will work much like MGS2? In that case. I best start again, and not kill these guards untill i'm got a weapon.

To level up your grip.. do pull ups while hanging from a ledge.... i think its about 100

Comment

The ledge hanging and dog tags are a direct lift from Sons of Liberty. IIRC the way to level up is to to pull-ups or something. I think you have to do about 100

Comment

How do he dog tags work this time? 100 pull ups! Ouchy.

Oh man, just been into the second main area (where the helicopter is outside) And my god. The visuals had be stunned.

I sat there with my jaw open, just gazing at the snow effects, and the surroundings.

And I wouldn't recomend playing on hard. Normal seems tough enough.

Comment

Got my copy yesterday and so far i'm enjoyoing it very much I like all the MGS2 additions and the graphics but I don't like the new music compared to the original. I'm playing the game on normal at the minute and I am actually finding it a little harder than the original but I think this is because I have not played any MGS games for ages. I love the new cutscenes but do think they are over doing the matrix effects a bit. But so far enjoying the game as much as the original and I should mention that the game does work with freeloader 1.06b on PAL cube if anyone is interested (i'm playing the US version).

Comment

Will the PAL version have a 60hz mode? I know Konami games usually don't, but isn't this being co-published by Nintendo or something? And Nintendo published generally games do have 60hz modes...

Comment

Where did everyone get their USA versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sega Ages
                Will the PAL version have a 60hz mode? I know Konami games usually don't, but isn't this being co-published by Nintendo or something? And Nintendo published generally games do have 60hz modes...
                No 60Hz but it's fully optimised

Comment

Well I'm playing the Japanese version here! Fortunately everything in game so far has been in English (once you turn the mode over). However... the manual is in Japanese naturally and my brain's too rusty to remember all the moves! So erm... anyone with a USA manual care to fill in the gaps here?

L - select item, look whilst against wall
                  R - select weapon, look whilst against wall
                  A - fire weapon (hold to aim, release to shoot)
                  B - fight hand to hand
                  X - crouch, roll whilst running
                  Y - action button (drop down, call lifts etc)
                  Z - first person
                  Start + A - codec

Two question as well, especially seeing as I hardly played MGS2...

1) How you go about acquiring the dog tags? Point, aim, make the guy put his hands up... then what?

2) When approaching a guard from behind, what determines whether you do a flip throw on him to knock him, or go for the sleeper/strangle hold?

I had a quick play through this morning and I'm liking what I see so far in terms of update
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
                    1) How you go about acquiring the dog tags? Point, aim, make the guy put his hands up... then what?

2) When approaching a guard from behind, what determines whether you do a flip throw on him to knock him, or go for the sleeper/strangle hold?
                    1) - When you have the guard held up aim at his head and his will shake and give up his dog tags

2) If you push the directional pad and the A button you wil throw an enemy if you push A while standing still you will do the choke hold.

As far as the controls go you have got them right with the addition that START+B is pause and also if you are holding you gun and want to lower it press and hold Y while holding Y let go off A and you will lower you weapon.

Comment

Cheers for that... I knew about the lowering the gun bit

That's probably my error then re dog tags, going round the front of the guard but not going for his head...

Btw can you actually kill the guards using your bare hands? I've not been able to do that yet. Just thinking of how to disable them permanently without a weapon that's all.

Comment

I don't think you can kill guards with your hand & foot combo only way to kill and enemy without a weapon is to choke hold him.

edit - that explains it better

Comment

Originally posted by Prof Frink
                          I don't think you can kill guards with you bare hands unless you chock hold them to death.
                          er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-crack

Comment

Yep... I had a good go at that in the meantime

Btw one problem early on making me bang my head against the wall was the clue about Meryl's codec frequency. You bastards Konami!

Comment

Got my US copy this morning from pmelon (fairplay-games). Having never played the original I've been looking forward to this. Not played too much of it yet but really enjoyed it so far.

Mayhem:

Originally posted by spoiler
                              Thankyou! I've just switched the game off in frustration at the Meryl's codec frequency part (the package? WHAT F*IN PACKAGE!? was a phrase that crossed my mind) and came on here and read your post in the other thread and it clicked instantly. I'm not sure I'd have ever figured that out the gits

Comment

Working...
                              X