RPGs - the most addicitve games of all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JibberX
    There's something in my brain that says turn based RPGs are a genre from an era where technology defined the gameplay, and it's never grown up.
    Actually, I would hazzard a guess that it came from the way D&D handles combat, which is turn based. I can remember the battles in the Wizardy games, Bards Tale, and Ultima all being turn based. They were probably made that way so that people who played pen-and-paper RPGs were more comfortable and familiar to it.

What is the earliest Japanes RPG?

Comment

No idea what the earliest Jap RPG was. Maybe FF1? It seems like every game since has nicked it's combat system, and I can't think off the top of my head any similar RPG's before that. But then again, I only came into gaming in the middle of the NES's life

/Edit Release date was June 1990, can anyone find any from earlier?

Comment

Well, I'd be curious to know what RPG was the first to use a turn based combat system, and if it was indeed in response to pen-and-paper RPGs.

Comment

Possibly the Ultima series... it started way back in 1980 and had turn based (within action commands) style combat and stats. Wizardry also was rather early on in proceedings...
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Shining Force 2 kicked ass. I haven't played as many RPGs as I should. Skies Legends for the GC will be my first in years. Hope its up to SF2 standards!

Comment

It's a worthy buy definitely... I enjoyed myself a lot playing it...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

first ever Japanese RPG was called Black Onyx and programmed/distributed by Henk Rogers (who later formed Bullet-Proof Software and became a Nintendo affiliate) - released in 1980 it sold 100,000 units

Comment

Well there you go. You learn something new every day

Comment

To answer the topics question..

No, i'm not an RPG fan and almost everyone i play i find it becomes a complete watch-a-thon. I don't see why these games get a 'gameplay' score in reviews, i dont see anything to play.

(please don't flame me)

I did however enjoy 3 RPG's in my life.

1. Paper Mario - Fantastic little game, which had a great badge system. the battle system was also good and what with it being mario just topped it off. Lovely.

2. Golden Sun - I was unemployed, so i had to waste some hours. Found it quite good.

3. Final Fantasy 7 - the only FF game to have a decent story which kept my attention, great game.

Comment

I finally got Skies of Arcadia Legends through this morning, (after over a month in the mail) my first proper console RPG. The last RPG I played a lot was Defenders of Oasis on the GameGear. I enjoyed it until the final stages of the game where I realised that my characters were just not powerful enough to beat the enemies no matter how hard I tried. It pissed me off that there was nothing I could do other than replay huge chunks of the game in the hope I got more powerful, so I stopped playing.

Here's hoping I enjoy it more this time round :

Comment

Yes, I think characters are one of the most important elements when making any game but especially when it comes to rpg?s.
                        You spend so long getting to know their past, as in FF7 with the flash backs with cloud. Rpg?s totally engross me like no other genre. In FF7 I actually found my self wanting to live in the slums for some reason or another.
                        I just like the way of life and all the characters and personalities which where present. It reminded me somewhat of olden day village life with the black smith, the local shop etc.
                        Sometimes is feel the same way about this forum, like we have a community where people do us services like Saurian or will2003 could be classed as the blacksmith whilst Tokuda?s the shop keeper.
                        I think we get so wrapped up in rpg?s because a lot of it mirrors real life and how you build relationships. You also seem to get a lot of freedom to build your own personality. Like in FF7 with multiple questions and actions. (ie. buy the rose from the girl or don't.)

Well I hope you know what idea I am trying to put over.

*edited*

Comment

Much like JRM, I subscribe to the Western school of RPGs as they just interest me far more, although that isn't to say I haven't massivly enjoyed some of the Japanese equivalents. Final Fantasy 7 was an accomplished behemoth of a game, something I never dreamed I'd be playing on a home console in my C64 days, the story was marvellous and the characters interesting.

I did purchase Final Fantasy X ( cheers, Kemp ), but found myself dismayed at the ( admitedly pretty ) linearity of it all, the world map was done away with and I was literally led by the nose, the story just didn't make up for these shortcomings IMO.

Planescape:Torment maintains a firm place in my heart, with the best plot and dialogue I have witnessed in any 'game', ever. The Baldur's Gate series was also very accomplished, and Fallout's 1&2 remain my favourite examples of the genre, maybe it's from being exposed to P.C gaming long before a console came into my life - but that's the way it stands.

Comment

RPGs bore the hell out of me too, now Arcade Adventure games are class. The Wonderboy series are games are a lot more fun then any RPG. Saying that I've probably got more RPGs then anyone here and I still have played less RPGs then anyone here.

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                              RPGs bore the hell out of me too, now Arcade Adventure games are class. The Wonderboy series are games are a lot more fun then any RPG. Saying that I've probably got more RPGs then anyone here and I still have played less RPGs then anyone here.
                              WEll that's just md for you. I mean how can you own games and not play them.I have to wip it out as soon as it is in my grubby little paws.

Comment

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Chrono Trigger, without a doubt the finest RPG in existence - they don't make 'em this good anymore. An enchanting storyline, brilliant musicical score, fantastic battle system the list is literally endless.

But currently, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is keeping me hooked on the GBA. It's all battling with a hint of story in-between battles - which is a refreshing change.

Also, another classic has to be the original Grandia, the story was great - and kept me hooked.

Comment

Working...
                                X