No announcement yet.

Best version of Rainbow Islands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is the PCB? Surely the having pure version is best. I bets its expensive, seeing that its such a classic.

Comment

c64 version is amazing if you consider the limitations of the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
        How much is the PCB? Surely the having pure version is best. I bets its expensive, seeing that its such a classic.
        I've found it for $320+shipping, which is just far too much for me. I'm not so bothered about having a perfect converion, just the best of the home ones, which is the best plan seeing as I only want to spend ?30 or so

Comment

If you have a chipped Xbox it would be worth getting the rom to play via emulation

Comment

Originally posted by mo
            c64 version is amazing if you consider the limitations of the machine.
            aye as is the ZX Spectrum version, better audio than any of the console versions. so what if it only had about 4 colours?

Comment

btw, what about the Gameboy Color version?

Comment

The Playstation/Saturen conversions are a missed opportunity in my view.

Bubble Bobble is playable but slapdash - just try the highscore codes and be amazed as precisely sod all happens.

God knows why they deemed fit to include the horrible tarted-up mess that is Rainbow Islands Enhanced - why they didn't include the actual arcade update, Rainbow Islands Extra, I'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                  aye as is the ZX Spectrum version, better audio than any of the console versions. so what if it only had about 4 colours?
                  Amastrad CPC 464 > all

Comment

Originally posted by Bus-stop Boxer
                    why they didn't include the actual arcade update, Rainbow Islands Extra, I'll never know.
                    Because in 1995 emulation was not realistically possible and they had to make conversions. Theres a feature about these versions in Edge at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastware
                      Because in 1995 emulation was not realistically possible and they had to make conversions. Theres a feature about these versions in Edge at the time.
                      Rainbow Islands Extra came out in the arcades in 1988, one year after its predecessor. The only difference is different enemy graphics and the bosses and stages appear in a different order - I have played this and I really cannot see why it could not have been ported. Its better then the rubbish that is Rainbow Islands 'Enhanced'...

Comment

I actually tested Bubble Bobble & Rainbow Islands on PS/Saturn when i got a temporary job at Probe Entertainment in Croydon, England (Summer of 1996).

Despite testing Rainbow Islands for 12 hours a day for weeks i never got bored of it. To me it has possibly the most perfect gameplay of any game i have ever played. So much hidden depth in such a simple looking game.

The most frustrating thing about testing it was that Probe (for a reason i can't remember) were not given the source code by Taito so the conversion was made by playing the arcade version. Unfortunately that meant that the hidden levels which can only be unlocked by collecting all the bonus crystals were never included. Personally i think it's a great conversion but the hidden levels would have been the icing on the cake.

Comment

Just found this on a resent trip to asda:

Bubble Bobble + Rainbow Islands Double Pack

There seem to be pretty good arcade conversions to me (not that I ever played the arcade ver.)

Anyone else got this? Whats your opinion on it? Seems like a steel at ?5 especially as it comes with Bust a Move as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bus-stop Boxer
                            God knows why they deemed fit to include the horrible tarted-up mess that is Rainbow Islands Enhanced - why they didn't include the actual arcade update, Rainbow Islands Extra, I'll never know.
                            Greed and couldn't be arsed.

Comment

The Amiga version was very good, one of my most played games during the Amiga days.

Comment

I was wondering, searched and now know.

Comment

Working...
                                X