question about my DVD player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about my DVD player

i recently bought a new DVD player which is multi-region. the thing is, is that when i play PAL R2 films the picture is fine but when i play NTSC R1 films i get this weird effect. when something moves across the screen you can see like light/dark light following the movement. its kind of hard to explain.

i have the player set on AUTO Pal/NTSC setting and my TV is NTSC compatible too.

any ideas?

rich

Are you running the signal straight from the DVD player to the TV? It sounds like Macrovision, which would kick in if you're running the signal to, or through your VCR.

Comment

my DVD player is hooked up straight to my TV. whats macrovision?

Comment

It's an anti-piracy measure on a lot of DVD's designed to stop people copying DVD's to Videotape among other things. It messes with the colour settings to make the video look naff.

What brand DVD player is it? Have you tried more than one R1 DVD?

Comment

its a pioneer dv-350 multi-region. i have tried it with two R1 films and i get the same weird effect. its kind of like bars of light that follow a movement on screen. it only seems to happen when something moves quickly.

films i tried were total recall and gremlins. is there any way to stop this macrovision? anyway, why should this effect the picture quality?

thanks

rich

Comment

It isn't macrovision that's causing the problem m8.

I had similar problems when running R1 disks through my Pioneer multi-region to a Panasonic telly. I ended up trying the DVD Player on my parents Thompson TV and the problem didn't appear, so I got myself a new Thompson widescreen telly - no problem with the Pioneer anymore.

When switching my Pioneer to multi-region, I have it set it up as a Region 1 player (that way it'll accept RCE Disks with no probs), and let it's auto switching handle PAL discs.

Can't give you an explanation why just switching tellys solved the problem, perhaps its something to do with what type of NTSC signal your telly will accept (there are two types - techies on the Board may be able to explain this better for you).

Best help that I can give you..

BTW - just wonder if you might get a better response to this thread if you asked the Admin to switch it to the Import /Technical QA Board.

Take a look at

and read down the page and you'll find some info about the two types of NTSC signal

Comment

Tried setting the player to RGB? That should fix the problem.
              If not, if it's a Pioneer model it will probably have a switch on the back somewhere for PAL/NTSC. Setting it to PAL and playing NTSC movies will give you PAL-60 and NTSC to, obviously NTSC. Try PAL-60 and NTSC and see if one or the other gets rid of the problem. Or on the newer models this switch may be in the software menu.

Or, just use RGB which should hopefully fix it totally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                I had similar problems when running R1 disks through my Pioneer multi-region to a Panasonic telly. I ended up trying the DVD Player on my parents Thompson TV and the problem didn't appear, so I got myself a new Thompson widescreen telly - no problem with the Pioneer anymore.

I have something similar

My Phillips DVD player just will not work with a Toshiba TV of any sort.

I have two Toshiba TV's in the house and the Phillips refuses to display a picture on both of them

Put it with any other make of TV and it works fine

Comment

i think ive solved the problem, i switched from RGB to s-video and the picture is alot better (but not perfect). so maybe its my RGB cable thats a bit naff?

plus i have my pioneer set on AUTO, so no matter what region film i put in it automatically switches to that region.

my TV can handle all NTSC types too.

any other ideas?

rich

Comment

I have seen a similar problem here... when using my US N64 modded for RGB on a TV that didn't support NTSC 3.58 style (but did 4.43 and 60Hz signal). I got streaks of colour across the screen especially noticable when playing F-Zero X. Most disturbing... maybe it's the TV then that can't hack the picture signal?
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                    X