Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, all good points. Without aiming to discount any of them, what you describe as scepticism is manifesting as self-destructive tendencies rather than a positive force. It is breaking rather than aiming to fix. And there are some who will benefit from that destruction (including outside the EU) but us, the normal people like you and I, we won't. We here in Ireland are very committed to the EU and, weirdly out of character given the stranglehold the old fashioned Catholic values had for so long, seem to be growing more tolerant and positive while some in the world slide back the other direction. This self-destruction isn't fun to watch from here. So like I say, whatever happens now will likely leave you on your own but, as someone whose family lived through some of the worst of WW2, I will be hoping for a more connected world, one that has already been shown to work. And I hope that your scepticism doesn't have you wishing to poison that because I can assure you that this direction isn't going to end well for us. History has shown that.

Comment

The Euro is destroying the EU project.
      It was a good attempt to get all states on a level playing field, but it is has failed.
      It is failing at a rate that is now getting completely out of control and the only way the project can survive is to relinquish total sovereignty to the project, unified interest rates, wages, house price caps, laws etc. etc.
      However, there is not enough support for that for it to happen, therefore we will see the EU project get more and more into a debt trap, and no one has worked out how to get out of it.

Could we get rid of the Euro? Probably.
      Would it help? Definitely.
      Will they do it? We shall see.

Target 2 is spiralling out of control now, it is just another way to hide the spiralling insolvency and many are starting to now question why it is being allowed to carry on at such a rate?

A good project has been ruined. Such a shame.

Comment

This was my reply on Pistonheads where we were discussing the insolvency of the EU and the use of Target 2 to hide the growing debt.

Originally posted by gizlaroc
        Originally posted by bitchstewie
        On Target2 I'm one of those people with no real clue so I've just looked it up and it appears to be a payment system - what am I missing?

Please don't take this as a dig, it isn't.

As much as those who voted remain say "Leavers didn't know what they were voting for." there are as many leavers who think the same about those that wanted to stay.

Target 2 debts are being racked up at an extortionate rate, the EU knows the EU project is insolvent and it is hiding the increasing debt by using T2 payments, now running at just over €2trillion and growing faster and faster by the day.
        The EU knows the project is insolvent and they know that they can never rectify that, so rather than simply lend more they are using T2 to hide the increase of debt.
        Think of it as a credit card with no interest to be paid and no date to pay it back and you are pretty much there.

One thing we have to try and understand is what is the Euro?
        If we are all honest it is the Deutschmark in a more palatable name.
        The EU project likes to add a new nation every few years to help the German economy, the Germans are the real winners from this.
        Take Greece as an example, when they joined the Euro they were a poor country, but no real debt.
        92% of Greek homeowners had no mortgage at all, 98% of Greeks had no long or short term debt, perfect for the Germans.
        Within months of them joining we saw BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi and Porsche dealerships pop up all over Greece. The Greeks said lovely but we can't afford them, "No problem, we will lend you the money." and they did.
        Within 5 years of Greece joining the Euro they had the highest percentage of Porsche owners on the planet.
        The German lenders started sending out credit cards to everyone over 18, simply sign the card for €5000 of credit. Many did.

The problem was they were not earning enough to service the debt.
        What we are now seeing is BMW AG is funding these new cars, but the money is not being passed on.
        Man walks into BMW in Athens, he buys a 5 series, he does the paperwork and borrows the money. Now he is paying it every month, so what is the issue?
        The issue is the dealership in Athens pays their bank, their bank pays the Greek central bank who then pays via Target 2, which is pretty much an IOU for €50,0000. T2 then pays the German central bank who pays BMW AG.
        The problem is the German central bank has not had the money.
        This is where the ECB is stepping in and printing them money.

This is all happening under the radar though, everyone knows it is happening, but to try and stop it will cause chaos and will admit the EU is like a kid racking up the credit cards and shifting debt further and further into the future to try and keep the monthly payments down to an amount where they don't have to hold their hands up and say "It's failed.".

Germany are currently still owed nearly €1 trillion alone. Greece owe €480b now and increasing at some €8b a month, and Spain are not far behind them, with another €1.2b owed between the other southern and eastern EU states.

For many, although the figures sound ridiculous they are not compared to the other debt being racked up, Target 2 really does show how corrupt the EU is, and more importantly just how close to breaking point the Project is financially.

And that is why it is so frustrating when as a leaver who voted out based on the economical state of the EU project as it stands now, to keep being told I didn't know what I voted for is so patronising.
        Of course the EU has been OK so far, we are still in the period where we are racking up the cards and having fun, but we are almost at the point where we can't get another card or extend the debt, at that point the cars, TVs, phones, Macbooks, Holidays and our homes will all have to go. Some of us are voting out to try and stop that happening if it is not too late already.

Comment

Someone asked if the Eurozone debt was so high why is the Euro still quite strong...

Originally posted by gizlaroc
          People say "But the Euro is still trading well."

Yeah it is, but why?

Is it because of Greece? Spain? Italy? Andora? Malta? Latvia? Slovenia?

No, it is because of Germany. Why?
          Because if (some say when) the the Euro collapses all nations will revert back to their original currency, all banks will convert everyones Euro account back to Lira, Deutschmark, Franc, Drachma etc. etc.

Therefore we are seeing everyone put their money into the German banks, if the Euro collapses they will triple their money over night.

The Euro is not doing well, the Deutschmark is doing well and investors know this, that is why the Euro remains strong.

Comment

It is well worth watching the following videos, they may look long but all three are only 25-30 mins long for the bits that explain things well.....

Yanis Yaroufakis explaining why the Euro is the real problem...

Yanis Yaroufakis on is capitalism devouring democracy?
            He explains so much much in this video...

Mark Blythe, he is a very matter of fact academic that is worth listening to.
            Explains how ****ed up EU balance sheets are so well.

"They couldn't come out and say, 'Actually, what we're really doing is bailing out Commerzbank. How do you feel about that?' " (2:27)Full talk at https://you...

Part of a longer lecture...

People need to realise what the EU are doing every few years.
            They are bailing out the banks.
            They are not bailing out smaller countries, they are looking after the banks.
            Let that sink in for a minute and ask yourself if you are really happy with that.
            Once again the richest of the rich are getting looked after at the expense of everyone else.
            Last edited by gIzzE; 01-02-2019, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Yep, all good points. Without aiming to discount any of them, what you describe as scepticism is manifesting as self-destructive tendencies rather than a positive force. It is breaking rather than aiming to fix. And there are some who will benefit from that destruction (including outside the EU) but us, the normal people like you and I, we won't. We here in Ireland are very committed to the EU and, weirdly out of character given the stranglehold the old fashioned Catholic values had for so long, seem to be growing more tolerant and positive while some in the world slide back the other direction. This self-destruction isn't fun to watch from here. So like I say, whatever happens now will likely leave you on your own but, as someone whose family lived through some of the worst of WW2, I will be hoping for a more connected world, one that has already been shown to work. And I hope that your scepticism doesn't have you wishing to poison that because I can assure you that this direction isn't going to end well for us. History has shown that.
              The scepticism has definitely bred out too far, it's just too easy for the wrong people to prey on when it swells up to a certain level which is why you end up with the likes of Rees-Mogg pushing for circumstances that he will privately financially benefit from etc.

The EU and the Euro are a fascinating thing. Before Brexit and the Referendum got going the UK sat in the EU28 with the pound still being in use and it riding very strongly against the Euro. It's taken all these events to bring it down and even then the pound holds higher. For all the other countries that has to commonly raise questions about the Euro vs when they had their own currencies and values or at least in ones that held the potential to see their currency rise higher.

Comment

A change from Ireland for once, it's kicked off about Gibraltar after Spain has had the EU add a line to a law declaring the island to be a colony of the UK rather than a core part of the union.

Leave.EU and Aaron Banks have been fined £120,000 for data breaches

There were 304,000 new jobs created in America in January according to then closely watched non-farm payrolls report, easily beating expectations of 165,000

And claims No Deal could cause a UK Manufacturing sector recession

Comment

Some really good points above, its worrying how much control the media has over the UK and its continued narrative that suits there own ends.

I know not everyone who is anti EU is a brainwashed product of Murdoch but I've been party to far to many people on the bread line who seem to think the current government is working for their interests and not their own. You have to ask how a government can sign of tax cuts for the rich without while ignoring massive rises in childhood poverty, food bank usage, unemployment and homelessness. When you look at the massive social and economic problems in the UK you have to ask why the current government doesn't get crucified for it in the media.

Maybe becuase it knows that it has to play the media game and that means not addressing things like how the Mail and the Sun don't pay any tax in the UK.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 01-02-2019, 16:08.

Comment

Going to play devil's advocate here, but I get very nervous when people call on the government to regulate the media. I hate the likes of the Daily Mail too, but it still bothers me.

Comment

You don't think that when they splash something all over a front cover to be seen by an entire nation and call it news that there is a duty to be accurate and held accountable for falsehoods?

Comment

The main issue is the UK media swings hard in one direction because of the monopoly it holds. I hate that opinion pieces are pushed as fact too.

Comment

Eveb when the press does get caught their punishment is to print a little retraction clarifying their “mistake”. Too late by then though. Maybe the retraction should be made front page news in a headline size.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Eveb when the press does get caught their punishment is to print a little retraction clarifying their “mistake”. Too late by then though. Maybe the retraction should be made front page news in a headline size.
                            Absolutely. This seems so obvious and you’re completely right. A retraction should have to be the same size and in the same place in the same circulation as the lie.

Comment

Yeah why isn’t this a thing. It would be the first thing I’d do if I got power. Ilevery time it happened I’d make them run the correction twice the number of days and on one more page until the entire newspaper was just one massive apology forever.

Comment

Every single press has bias and push their own agenda, whether left or right, I'm not sure they even try and hide that fact, and that is not the problem, the problem is many of their readers don't realise this, that is the issue and that is what is scary.

Plus, those that are right of thinking will always see the MSM as left of thinking and those that are left thinking will see the same outlets as right of thinking.
                                Last edited by gIzzE; 01-02-2019, 22:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X