Call of Cthulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Cthulu

As described in my RPG thread I love games that have the ability to capture my imagination, captivate my attention and confidently sustain it. I feel the best games (or to put it another way? the ones which appeal to me the most) are the ones that can be classed as art. Ones which not only entertain the player? but symbolically reach out and effect the player. Be that through sadness? happiness? wonder? or even horror.

Eternal Darkness, dismissed by many due to its numerous faults, still managed to receive my admiration. Why? Because of its highly sophisticated, thought-provoking and excellently written script combined with some of the best voice acting? ever? It created an experience that will remain with me for the rest of my gaming life. I have the script if anyone deems intent on reading it. It made me appreciate it far more?

Where is this leading? To a game I?m highly anticipating, to a game that seems to be receiving a little/to no attention, and to a game I believe may? just may have the potential to be my next Eternal Darkness (symbolically speaking of course).

Call of Cthulu ? Xbox [March 2004]

I?ve known of this title for a while now, but didn?t actually know its name until recently (thank you scaredbyvideogames ). It promises to have a deep, twisted and yet intriguing story. Is a first person psychological survivor horror, Incorporates a number of intriguing features including insanity effects as well as unique hub where instead of a meter displaying your health, blood appears on screen?

Take a look? see what you think? (same trailer, just different dl types)

Trailer Media Player ? 24Meg

Trailer Quick Time ? 24Meg

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Kind regards
    Adam
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

*before wandering into thread, imagining a game based on Metallica's song of the same namesake *

Will keep an eye, or two on this, before forgetting about it in the morning.

Ta for the heads-up.

Comment

I've been waiting for this to come out on the PC for an absolute age. There was some stuff at this years E3 which indicated it would be out around now. Then it all went quiet and its slipped off the radar again. I hope that Xbox date is not an indication of the PC release as well

I've been a huge fan of Lovecraft's work for years now. I've lost track of how many times I've read The Dunwich Horror. Top story and recommended for anyone who can track it down.

The sanity effects in C of C will make or break it ( along with the out of the ordinary era setting ). As with ED, it may be just what the game needs to lift it above other games in its genre.

Comment

Ive been promoting this too anyone that would listen - and quite a few who dont care - for a long time.But as time wore on its release seemed to get further away rather than closer.Recently it was delayed again until Q1 next year but at least it seems certain that no more delays will follow.

Im looking forward to this simply because its the first console game to be properly representative of Lovecrafts stories rather than the Cthulhu Mythos in general (Eternal Darkness) - as a fan of the stories from childhood I'm particularly looking forward to it.

There are supposed to be several games In the Call of Cthulhu series being produced over the forthcoming years.This one is called 'CoC - Dark Corners of the Earth' and is for the PC and xbox.

Another is 'CoC:Tainted Legacy' for the PS2 (and PC I expect)
        The other is 'CoC:Mountains of Madness' (no idea which platform)

It cant be said with any certainty right now if those two will ever see the light of day - heres hoping!

EDIT:http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

^^
        Officials site (friendly forum too)
        Last edited by Guest; 15-09-2004, 23:39.

Comment

I completely forgot about this o_0

Mega-quick, at work and shouldn't be posting, hands-on preview:
          The E3 demo had you walking around a large house, the graphics were pretty damned atmospheric with some excellent lighting. The game was quite spooky, even in the horrible lights of E3, although the controls weren't good enough, and it was clearly incomplete. It was clear the game is being developed by the people who made Morrowind, and it comes with both the good and bad from this.

Looks hot anyway.

Comment

I am also looking forward to this. There are too many Lovecraft-inspired games out there, and not enough Lovecraft-based ones ... There is nothing wrong with Eternal Darkness for instance, but the real thing would be nice for a change

I even bought Necronomicon - the Dawning of Darkness, in a Lovecraft-starved moment. Don?t do that! Don?t even think about it. That game seriously damages your mental health.

Comment

This has been high on my want list for years. I have some videos of it I got in 2001 and completely gobsmacked me. Before Half-Life 2, Thief 3, Doom 3, Deus Ex 2... it had physics and lighting technology that looked amazing and were used in new and exciting ways for gameplay. Insanity before Eternal Darkness and implemented in an infinitely more interesting and cool way. Atmosphere and immersion in spades. But it's dragged on for years, delay after delay. The more recent videos don't show many of the aspects that really amazed me when I first saw it... and the technological edge it seemed to have is lost somewhat. I'm a little concerned for how it may turn out. But I'm still very interested nonetheless.

It's being published, not developed by Bethesda, the developer is British - headfirst. They've gotten a good publisher though. The other CoC titles seem a bit fanciful... let's see this one finally come out first.

Comment

Did anyone play Shadow of the Comet or The Prisoner of Ice ?

PoI was a brilliant point and click game full of Lovecraftian monsters and plot twists. If you haven't played it and can find it, its well worth a go.

SotC was quite good as well, but has aged really badly. Still worth a try though.

Comment

That which is not dead and can eternal lie
                  And with strange aeons even death may die...

Waiting for a decent Lovecraft game that doesn't feature:

a) naff monsters drippings with goo
                  b) naff voice acting

Comment

Sad to say I've played it and it's really showing its age already. Everything is vertex lit. For a survival horror to have no dynamic lighting is a masive mistake, makes it look very dated indeed. And it just wasn't scary.

Comment

It used to have quite impressive dynamic lighting...

Comment

what you want is the 'Simon' necronomicon edition, that'll scare the pants off you

Comment

At last, some more news on this and confirmation that it's no dead in the water

Comment

Like a bolt from the blue, Eurogamer have a review up of Dark Corners of the Earth

A respectable eight as well

Comment

For a good number of hours, it's true survival horror, forcing players to really keep their wits about them, bolting doors in the faces of aggressors and shoving bookcases up against them, jumping out of windows, fleeing across rooftops and ducking bullets fizzing through windows. There's never really been a game that terrorises the player's nerve to quite the same extent. It's unflinchingly brutal.
                              !!!

Sounds just like Resi4 mixed in with Siren. Win!

Comment

Working...
                              X