No announcement yet.

The PC-Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly off topic, that's a *really* nice Dreamcast you've got there, too.

Comment

Ta man, that's my "special" one. Special 'cos it was a junked system that I gutted, chipped, cleaned up a bit and stuck in a new shell. That's my main system and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
        It needs a bit of a clean, damn smokers
        That is so annoying. I had the exact same problem with my Duo RX - I got it through Videogame Imports who imported it from Japan (second hand). When the machine arrived it stunk to high heaven of smoke. It's a pretty offensive smell at the best of times, but as a non-smoker it really, really annoys me. Thankfully it's pretty much worn off now but at the time I was really pissed off about it - after all, I'd spent quite a bit of cash and I expected to get something that at least smelt decent.

Just out of interest, what condition is the pad in mate? The pad I got with my RX worked perfectly ok but whoever had been using it didn't wash their hands very often. I had to spend a whole night taking the thing apart and cleaning it. Thankfully I have my NEC Avenue 6 pad now (thanks to Baseley09) and I love it to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
          That is so annoying. I had the exact same problem with my Duo RX -
          Ditto. I find that many things from Japan stink of smoke, so most of my PCE, Saturn and MD games arrived rather pungent. Fortunately it will go away after a while, but it can also discolour consoles permenantly.

Japan is BIG on smoking. Even when you go to somewhere like KFC, McDonalds etc there will only be a small no smoking corner in most places. Which as you would expect, is utterly pointless and you'll be breathing in smoke the whole time you're there.

Comment

The pad is in a good condition. The d-pad is a bit loose but it is clean, thankfully. The games are OK too, a bit faded like but they all worked first time. I kinda expected a NES-style cartridge ritual

Rabio Lepus is brilliant, also very hard >_<

Comment

Atomic Robo-kid is pretty cool too, nice big sprites on that one. Anybody else played Rabio Lepus? I'll post some screen grabs up later, it's pretty ****ing good!

I've got Heavy Unit off of eBay too, along with Dragon Spirit (another game I remember from back in the day, specifically the multiple-head power-ups).

Comment

If Rapio Lepus is the Rabbit shooter, then i've got it (somewhere).
                It's a very neat shooter.
                Not a big fan of the Dragon Spirit games though.
                Bit slow and weedy for me.

Comment

Yea, that's the one. It looks great, kinda reminds me of Gradius a bit but my god is it hard. Total false sense of security, I thought it was gonna be a walk with all the cute graphics XD

Comment

bump, innit

Had some more time with the engine over chrimbo. it's a nice little system, i really like it. i''ve cleaned it up too, loads of 'gunk' off the system with a quick wipe.

rapio lepus is very, very cool even though it is very difficult. i like horizontal shooters so i think i'll play this some more 'cos i will not be deafgated

Tales of the Monsters Path. not sure on the japanese name, i'll have to look it up. i plays a bit like adventure island but it has lots of japanese text and i can't work it out >_< seems a bit mad overall, a typical japanese platformer

cyber combat police is a side-scrolling beat 'em up. nowt special really. think last battle and you wouldn't be fair off. there's a nice shooter bit in it though, where you're on an akira-style bike. a bit easy too, completed it on my first go

atomic robokid is aces. it ain't just a left-to-right shooter either, there are larger, more complicated levels later on too. i like how you can land and walk around on the floor, not just flying. rapio lepus does the same, when there is something to walk on.

Comment

got my PC-Engine for chrimbo

bottom right

Comment

Heh, nice... do you put those away when you go to bed?

Here's that monster path game, Yokai Dochuki:

PC Engine Bible says it is a bit crap. I think it is all right although the language barrier is a problem.

Comment

I thought Tales of Monsters Path was cool game especially the cut scenes the stripper on the underwater level. Only got so far due to the jap text. I got this game free with my pc engine from Mention Technical Services when they first got released along with Vigilante. I also loved Bloody Wolf and Moto Roader 4 player with the multi tap, Pissed over micro machines.

Comment

Nice, nice. I've seen that underwater bit but I have no idea as to what is going on. It is a reasonable platformer though. It'd probably be all the better were it not for my lack of understanding (or maybe even making less sense, obviously designed by a total madman or two)

I've been getting on with Robokid some more though, brilliant little game (only 'cos Lepus is really ****ing difficult). I took a look at the manual and I knew I had to be missing something with the controls -- if you hold down I, one can continue moving but firing in a fixed direction, allowing the little fella to back-away-while-shooting at stuff. There's a brilliant boss encounter, top robotic design, where he fills the screen and follows Robokid around. Surprised at the variety in the levels too, some are really tricky 'cos they have hidden paths to the level goal. Thoroughly recommended shooter.

Getting Saint Dragon in a couple of days too. There are plenty of games available on eBay. Although the machines look like they fetch a fair price from time-to-time, most (a good 90%) of the games seem to be dirt cheap. Around about typical Megadrive prices.
                            Last edited by Commander Marklar; 28-12-2004, 23:35.

Comment

Working...
                            X