The PC-Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoshimoto
    Well i've got a tiny Japanese super model with photographic memory who follows me around on a leash. I simply leave her in a game shop for a while and go for a coffee. When i come back to collect her she's catalogued the entire shops inventory in her head and bought every single title i don't already own, gift wrapped each one and finished it off with a lovely sakura pink bow on the top.

She also makes great sushi too.
    Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by MD
      Heh yeah, but it's nice to have all the information in one database so I can do complex searches and the like.
      Indeed, when I go shopping for milk and bread I'm always thankful of my trusty Pocket PC and the 2004 'Best Food Guide'.

Originally posted by MD
      Still one day I might do something useful like make a website...
      Ho ho! You wish buddy. You're too busy attacking every post that Yakumo makes to have any time to build a website.

Comment

Still say AB II is much better on the MD even if it's lack the ground detail. And I like DC on the MD :P

Fantasic machine way ahead of it's time.

Shinobi. Top port, and rock hard

Jackie Chan. The only game that does the master any justice. Top Platform action with lovely colourful graphics and some of the best music you could ever wish to hear .

Tiger Heli. The MD version is better thanks to the AI . But the PC ENG is more or less Arcade perfect. The sound effect when The Helicopter is taking off is bloody awesome.

R-Type .The best port of the Arcade machine there is

Comment

Seconded on whoever mentioned Soldier Blade. Absolutely amazing shooter, puts a lot of the shooters on SNES and MD around that time to shame. Great music for a cart based game too. Also check out Super Star Soldier and Final Soldier, the previous games in the series. Never got into Gunhed as much though.

Only way I've been able to get into this machine and its games is through emulation, and there aren't that many decent emulators for it anyway. Don't think any can run the CD-based stuff. It's a pretty damn underrated console.

Comment

More great games that get a lot of playing time in my collection

Double Dragon 2
            Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
            Sylphia
            Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
            Cotton
            Circus Lido
            Renny Blaster
            Bomberman 93/94
            Long Nosed Goblin
            Ninja Gaiden
            Air Zonk
            Nexr
            Rayxamber 2
            Shubibinman 1-3
            Devil Crash
            Star Parodier
            Terra Cresta 2
            Spriggan
            Motoroader 1, 2, MC
            Splatterhouse
            Macross 2036
            Go Go Birdie Chance

and get a Supergrafx for 1941 and Ghouls n Ghosts (best conversion there is by a mile imho)

Comment

I've been using MagicEngine, in addition to the GP32 emulator. I dunno about CD stuff, I haven't any CD games but ME seems to run everything perfectly. Costs ?10 to register, so I didn't mind paying.

I thought MD Devil Crash was alright too, it IS good but playing the PC Engine is something else. There's more detail to everything, more colours and animation. Music is much, much better too. I bet a certain somebody just likes the nudge button

How does Splatterhouse compare to the arcade game? And has anybody else played Heavy Unit? What do you think? It's a personal fave from teh arcades, the PC Engine version is pretty damn nice.
              Last edited by Commander Marklar; 16-12-2004, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                I've been using MagicEngine, in addition to the GP32 emulator. I dunno about CD stuff, I haven't any CD games but ME seems to run everything perfectly. Costs ?10 to register, so I didn't mind paying.
                A great piece of software, well worth the money IMO. I wouldn't have discovered half the PC Engine games I have without it.

Comment

I have the Cube version of Super Soldier Blade and it is really good fun

Cheaper than the PC-E version too

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                    How does Splatterhouse compare to the arcade game? And has anybody else played Heavy Unit? What do you think? It's a personal fave from teh arcades, the PC Engine version is pretty damn nice.
                    Splatterhouse compares very well to the arcade (although not as good as the marty port). Make sure you get the japanese version though as the us one has green blood

I've got heavy unit. Great port but there are better pce shooters for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                      I have the Cube version of Super Soldier Blade and it is really good fun
                      Where'd you get that one from, then? I've got the Hudson rerelease of Star Soldier, which is ace, and I'd be up for another old shooter.

Unless we're talking about the same game, in which case I'll run away, shrieking like a girl.

Comment

what am I thinking?

I meant Super Star Soldier, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
                          and get a Supergrafx for 1941 and Ghouls n Ghosts (best conversion there is by a mile imho)
                          The Capcom Generations version of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts would give it a run for it's money.

Comment

Oh, bum. I was getting all excited then. ("A shooter I don't own! I MUST HAVE IT!!!!").

Maybe someone will read this post and do a port anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                              The Capcom Generations version of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts would give it a run for it's money.
                              Oh yeah...although the sg version is wonderful.

Comment

I'll always like the C64 version for the wonderful Tim Follin version of the music

Comment

Working...
                                X