The PC-Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PC-Engine...

So then, the PC-Engine. A little system I never really bothered with. I've owned a GT in the past, only had a handful of titles and none of which were stand out games, except for PC Kid... maybe

Except, recently, I've been sampling a few games on the system and, well, most of the games are truly great ports. They're even better than most, if not all (that I've played ), of their Megadrive counterparts. I won't talk about the amazing Devil Crash but, instead, Afterburner.

It has tons of sprites. It has the speed. It even has (almost) all of the smoke and other trivial stuff that most other ports are lacking. Granted, it ain't the arcade game but the playability is intact. It's almost on par with the Saturn game.

(heh, imho)

Now, I've tried a few other titles and the polish and overall feel of the games really are better than most of the other versions I've played. Is this due to the success of the machine in Japan, maybe earning developer respect? I don't know, but the quality (and quantity) is there.

I've just recently discovered that it also has a port (and a pretty good one too) of an arcade game I used to hammer when I was "Mostly Harmless"; Heavy Unit.

I think I'm gonna get me a (proper, this time) PC Engine of my own...

Your thoughts, comments and recommendations?

It's a lovely little machine. If you like 2D shooters I'd recommend:

GALAGA 88
    DRAGON SPIRIT (nice alternative shooter, but avoid the sequel, Dragon Saber)
    GUNHED (its sequels Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, and Soldier Blade are all good, too; but I prefer Gunhed to all of them)
    R-TYPE 1 & 2 (pretty much arcade perfect, game split into two halves for some odd reason)

Comment

Originally posted by gordon
      R-TYPE 1 & 2 (pretty much arcade perfect, game split into two halves for some odd reason)
      I believe it was due to limited cartridge capacity. It was a superb conversion, though.

Comment

I had one ages ago and would love another.

Image Fight, New Zealand Story (brilliant conversion) and naturally the PC kid titles stand out for me.

Comment

Definitely buy a pc engine, its a great console.

I'd certainly recommend getting a form of cd medium as well, such as a duo etc, as there are some great cd games, spriggan, dracula x, r-type complete, just to name a few. I also think the cd games are region free, unlike the cards.

There are loads of great card games and a lot are really cheap. There's a great sf2 conversion, ninja gaiden is fantastic, shubibinman the list is endless. And all the bubble bobble, mizubaku, parasol games

Comment

I used to drool over the artwork of Heavy Unit in the mail section of Mean Machines one issue, dunno why it always stuck with me.

Correct me if i'm wrong, I think they "compiled" R-Type I & II for the TG16 release?

Jackie Chan, Splatterhouse, Download, Shubibnman 2 & Final Soldier swell my life.
            Last edited by Baseley09; 15-12-2004, 22:38.

Comment

nearly bought one a couple of years ago

but its really only for fans of shooting games

couple of decent games - but mainly its a great system for shooters

just the same way the neo geo is more for beat em up fans

Comment

The PC Engine is a real GEM of a machine but make sure you get the gray one since the white doesn't offer RGB support.

Yakumo

Comment

Neither does the grey one.

The original Pc Engine (white) has RF out, while the later models have A/V out.

For an import gamer the RGB mod is essential, and can be applied to any of them.

The PC Engine is indeed a great machine, but the quality of arcade ports isn't always the highest. PC Engine Out Run, Strider, and Golden Axe are pretty poor, and the Amiga version of New Zealand Story is better than the PC Engine one (Mega Drive version is possibly the best). Having said that the PC Engine version of Rainbow Islands, Liquid Kids and Parasol Stars are definitive outside of the arcade.

Comment

Cool, that's what I like to hear. I did try a few Sega games, and you're right... they're not always the highest of quality. Good job I don't find 'em that entertaining, huh? Those single-screen puzzle/platformers are fantastic though. I'm defo. gonna buy one.

So.... I fancied a white one but after doing a bit of research, the A/V quality isn't too great. Not a problem, good to hear the mod is possible on all of them. Are the white machines capable of playing everything, with the appropriate add-ons (of which there are plenty, almost to the point of being overwhelmed by the quantity of machines >_< )??

At the moment, other than playing Devil Crash on the PC (which is mind blowingly addictive), I've been using a GP32 to play on the bog

Comment

Has anyone got any more shooter recommendations apart from the four I mentioned? I feel like getting mine down from the loft for a few months.

Comment

Heh, Heavy Unit, as mentioned in my post. It is a rock hard horizontal shooter, give it a go.

Comment

The _only_ difference between the white PC Engine and grey Core Grafx I and II (apart from the color/case) is RF out vs A/V out.

The A/V quality is fine with all of them, given the right hookup. The white PC Engine does actually provide composite video via the expansion bus, but you'd need an adaptor (or CD-Rom2 interface) to get at it.

Any of these three can be hooked up to a CD-Rom2 or Super CD Rom2 system, and can play any game with the appropriate System Card (well, apart from the handful of Super Graphx games).

Your best bet is probably a Pc Engine Duo (or Duo R or Duo RX) and an Arcade Card for playing CD games.

Alternatively, you could buy a PC Engine/Core I/Core II and buy a CD-Rom2 or Super CD-Rom2 and Arcade Card.

Comment

@ Commander Marklar: Ta!

Comment

I tend to go for platformers and puzzlers more, but I really like these shooters on the PC Engine:

Salamander
                              Parodius
                              Fantasy Zone

I think Galaga 88 is probably my favourite though. You can't beat Galactic Dancin'

The Wonder Boy games on the PC Engine are fantastic too, particularly Dynastic Hero, Adventure Island and Bikkuriman World.

Comment

Working...
                              X