Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta Pimp this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...3&page=1&pp=15

I found this http://www.truecrypt.org/ which is a top notch piece of encryption software that allows you to hide files. It is much better then many of the commercial packages avaliable.

Comment

Free anti virus software. You have to update it manually every week or so, but it's not a hassle to use otherwise.

Comment

Another topdog freeware site

Comment

Originally posted by Resonance
          A big thumbs up from me too! Been looking for something like this for years! Incredibly useful.

Nice one Resonance. 8)

Comment

I thoroughly recommend uTorrent for anyone chugging away with flabby Azureus on Windows. It's very similar to use, only a lot faster, lighter and without the useless advanced features.

Remember to set your upload rate to 6 KBps minimum as anything lower places a limit on your download speed.

Comment

Yah, I second that uTorrent recc.
              I'd also highly reccomend this tutorial for topping up your up/down speeds. It worked wonders for me.

Comment

Gotta pimp this software. It allows you to create virtual encrypted drives so you can secure private files inside of one large encrypted file. Mount the file using a password and the software and a drive appears containing all of the files you stored inside of it. Great bit of kit for stashing *files you dont want anyone to see*

Comment

For us MAC users, http://www.versiontracker.com is the place for freeware, but if you use MAC you probably already knew that. Anyone with some good freeware for MAC?

Comment

I found a few useful bits of software on this thread, but I didn't see a link to VIm which is a powerful text editor which I had to use when I worked on UNIX machines. Still use it when writing batch scripts etc.

GR

Comment

Would you mind showing me what is so amazing about vim? I keep hearing that it is a great text editor but I cant see what the fuss is about. Thanks.

Also... Gotta recommend http://www.cygwin.com/ . The power of the Linux commandline for Windows. Great bit of kit.

Comment

The main thing that I found very useful when using VI on UNIX systems was the search and replace functions, I use to have to write a lot of batch files which were just strings of co-ordinates, 1's and 0's mainly.

By being able to manipulate an existing file quickly through searching, relacing and the insertion tools for merging with text files that I had manipulated on the PC through Excel and mathcad for co-ordinate translations, I could do this really quickly and save a lot of time.

Having not had to do this for a long long time my VI skills are vastly reduced but I still use it everynow and again, mostly from a nostalgia POV admittedly.

If you have to manipulate a lot of text data and search and replace then I would persevere with VIm as it's incredibly powerful, if you're just dabbling with bits of text then there are likely to be simpler and quicker bits of software out there.

Note: when I started using it, you couldn't use a mouse with it

GR

Comment

I have just installed Suse Linux 10 and I really like it. Cant wait for them to relase the Xgl thinger me jig. I love all those cool graphical effects

Linkage to what I mean. http://cto.secs.oakland.edu/~castro/NLD10video/

Comment

good man, I use slackware myself (www.slackware.com)

best free desktop / server OS I've used, havent formatted in 4 years or more. comes with firefox / thunderbird / apache / php / perl / c++ / java / c / TCL / BASH / SSH / RSYNC and a ton of editors/FTP server/SMB network neighbourhood server/NFS/

support for FAT32/NTFS(read,write experimental)/HFPS/EXT2/3/Reiser/etc

all for nothing! woot! go fanboy!

Comment

Useful app for seeing the size of folders under windows. Very handy. Should be a windows default

Comment

Went to copy couple of big files from a CD of mine back to hard drive and got a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error (as per pic).
                                Free program on link below recovered all info on the disc within a few minutes

As your CD and DVD collection grows, there are two important problems you face – do your CDs and DVDs still work? What can you do when a CD or DVD starts to have problems? These are crucial questions since the discs are used to store valuable files like email, home movies, photographs, business/tax records […]
                                Last edited by VR46; 21-06-2007, 09:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X