Playing MP3 Player Via Dolby 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing MP3 Player Via Dolby 5.1

My I-river H140 has an Optical out Lead So im thinking with the right set-up I could Play My Mp3 player through the Surround Sound speakers. I think I might need an Amp. But Im pretty useless when it comes to figuring these things out !

Any Help would be appreciated, If you need more info Il give what i can !

Also if I need any new Equipment what should I be paying for it ?

Cheers

a) You'd need a firmware update for the iRiver to support the 5.1 version of Ogg Vorbis. Which won't be happening, because (i) the H140 doesn't have anything even close to the CPU power necessary to decode it, and then re-encode it on the fly as AC-3, and (ii) iRiver are slow as hell at doing firmware updates at the best of times.

b) You'd also need something to listen to. Neither SA-CD nor DVD-A have been cracked yet, as far as I know.

Comment

I may have mislead you in my orginal question, Im not looking to Listen in 5.1 surround sound I just want to be able to utilise the speakers by hookin the I-river through either my TV or DVD recorder

Thanks for your answer though, Also what did you mean by b ?

Im an Idiot when it comes to Electronic wiring etc !

Comment

Buy a mini jack to phonos, and listen to your MP3s via stereo playback.

Comment

A what now ? I dont think I've been Clear on how Incompetent my skills Are in this Area whats Phono's and to that end whats a Minijack ?

Also is their a site anyone can show me where I can Brush up on this terminology. I pick things up extremly quickly.

Comment

Or get a digital TOSLINK cable to connect to a digital input on an amp if you have one (guess you might, but not know it).

Comment

Thats what i was thinking , (I Dont have an Amp) I was gonna Buy one, Where does the Amp get Plugged into The TV ? DVD recoder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Helmet
                what did you mean by b ?
                It was part of my mistaken interpretation that you wanted to listen to 5.1 material from your iRiver; SA-CD and DVD-A (the two audio formats that do 5.1 sound) can't be ripped like CDs can.

Anyway, as others correctly pointed out, you'll need some sort of amp to connect it to, either in analogue (using the minijack line out to a line in) or digital (using the iRiver's optical out, that sends an uncompressed PCM stereo signal).

Comment

Sounds good, Thanks for all your Help !!

Ill get an AMP at the weekend.

Thanks Again !

Comment

What speakers do you have?

Comment

Working...
                    X