No announcement yet.

Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inport duties are 2.2% Standard duty rate and 17.5% VAT. Sony did try to argue that the PS2 was actually a computer not a games console but they lost so i expect a PS3 will be claasified as a Games console as well. It should be delivered by parelforce or the royal mail and they would expect you to pay for the charges before they deivered it. The admin charge will probably be about ?15

Remeber the burden of proof will be with you. I once got a DS from China marked down to $40 and as a gift. Customs still intercepted it and i had to prove what i paid for the item with an invoice, this of course showed its true value so i was still hit with charges.
    Last edited by Cubeboy; 23-10-2006, 12:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubeboy
      The inport duties are 2.2% Standard duty rate and 17.5% VAT. Sony did try to argue that the PS2 was actually a computer not a games console but they lost so i expect a PS3 will be claasified as a Games console as well. It should be delivered by parelforce or the royal mail and they would expect you to pay for the charges before they deivered it. The admin charge will probably be about ?15

Remeber the burden of proof will be with you. I once got a DS from China marked down to $40 and as a gift. Customs still intercepted it and i had to prove what i paid for the item with an invoice, this of course showed its true value so i was still hit with charges.
      thanks for the info. Can I ask where you got the 2.2% duty rate from?? A link would be great.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by arcnas
        At todays rate you will be looking at about ?160 customs charge on $1600 plus what ever the companys who delivering it will charge you in admin fees so your are looking at ?1000 roughly for your ps3 with taxes.
        Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubeboy
          The inport duties are 2.2% Standard duty rate and 17.5% VAT. Sony did try to argue that the PS2 was actually a computer not a games console but they lost so i expect a PS3 will be claasified as a Games console as well.
          "Sony's PlayStation 2 is officially a games console and not a computer
          Since 2004 the issue has been irrelevant since neither classification of machine has attracted import duty since then."

Stroller.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
            i think my dead or alive arcade stick was around that price shipped and i think i paid ?14 customs

Jason
            well i got Final Fantasy XII CE today and had to pay ?21.67
            ?10.67 import VAT and ?11 Brokerage Surcharges
            I'll never order from gamestop again unless its someone as great as FFXII CE
            probably have been cheaper to get it of ebay instead coz i found some CEs there too, o well, fast delivery though, shipped on monday and i got it today.

Isnt there a way for students to claim it back because students are as laible to import tax etc? i remember hearing something about this ages ago.??

Or maybe i'll just leave it this time.

thanks
            Last edited by Hero87; 01-11-2006, 14:43.

Comment

VAT & Customs charges enquiry

Hi all,

I just got my Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin from Gamestop @ $34.99 but was charged a massive ?19 in cutoms charges by UPS.
              UPS charged a processing of ?11 along with ?8 custom charge - This seems far too high and is almost the price of game.

Does this sound correct to any one else?

Comment

Originally posted by Gouk
                Hi all,

I just got my Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin from Gamestop @ $34.99 but was charged a massive ?19 in cutoms charges by UPS.
                UPS charged a processing of ?11 along with ?8 custom charge - This seems far too high and is almost the price of game.

seems fine to me

parcelforce charge ?14.50, so its not the worst charge out there

for lower priced items DHL is the best at a charge of 2%

but gamestop are a nightmare for customs - its like they almost beg customs to add a charge

Comment

Originally posted by Gouk
                  Hi all,

Same here, and the game was like $35, so falls under the customs limit. However, I chaecked the back of the invoice, and it says they add the shipping charge to it too, and then calculate it.

Comment

Originally posted by themanwithapc
                    Same here, and the game was like $35, so falls under the customs limit. However, I chaecked the back of the invoice, and it says they add the shipping charge to it too, and then calculate it.
                    think its all down to the fact its merchandise pal, instead of a gift

the old ?18 and ?35 limits are vague at best and probably more legend that anything else

but Jebus - resident postman may point us in the right direction

Comment

think its all down to the fact its merchandise pal, instead of a gift

the old ?18 and ?35 limits are vague at best and probably more legend that anything else

but Jebus - resident postman may point us in the right direction
                      It also says on the same side that ?18 worth of merchandise is allowed without tax, and gifts are ?36.

Comment

It also says on the same side that ?18 worth of merchandise is allowed without tax, and gifts are ?36.
                        i got an item once and was charged even though after the exchange rate was less than ?18 and the postman told me customs will sting you if they beleive you've paid 1 cent/penny/euro for the item

how much was it after shipping?

i hate the fact they charge you duty on postage considering you've already paid tax on it from the country it was shipped from

Comment

HM Customs use their own calculator to set their own exchange rate limit from month to month - in December it's 1.914 dollars to the pound - that brings $35 to just over the ?18 limit, so you'll be taxed on the value plus postage. It sucks.

Comment

i got an item once and was charged even though after the exchange rate was less than ?18 and the postman told me customs will sting you if they beleive you've paid 1 cent/penny/euro for the item

how much was it after shipping?

i hate the fact they charge you duty on postage considering you've already paid tax on it from the country it was shipped from
                            It was $50.98 after shipping, so about ?25.I don't understand what you're saying though. As long as you've paid for an item (regardless of its value), you have to pay tax?

Originally posted by Geoff D
                            HM Customs use their own calculator to set their own exchange rate limit from month to month - in December it's 1.914 dollars to the pound - that brings $35 to just over the ?18 limit, so you'll be taxed on the value plus postage. It sucks.
                            In the end, even if it was ?1:$2, I would have been charged thanks to the shipping. Didn't realise we pay import charges on shhipping.

Comment

I don't understand what you're saying though. As long as you've paid for an item (regardless of its value), you have to pay tax?
                              i'm not saying you shouldnt pay tax

but you shouldnt pay tax on shipping costs

just means if you want an item early you are going to pay through the nose for it as most shipping charges are at least about ?10, which only leaves ?8 for the item

Comment

That's not the way it works - it's the merchandise value that is liable for tax/duty. If THAT goes over ?18, then the shipping is added on AS WELL for duty purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X