No announcement yet.

Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens with Parcelforce? Do they collect on the door or do I have to run down to the depot and collect it myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Moss
      What happens with Parcelforce? Do they collect on the door or do I have to run down to the depot and collect it myself?
      If you have the money on you they will give the item, if not its back to the depot no matter what the delivery twat says.

Comment

Bugger. I hope they accept cheques.

Do they accept cheques?

Comment

Been a while since parcelforce collected on my doorstep, but they accepted a cheque then...

Comment

Hey I'm going to order a Fender Stratocaster from America and have it delivered to my aunty in America, and get her to send me it. What would you guys recomend I do for shipping it, It's very tempting to mark it down as a worthless guitar, like $20 or something, but if it goes missing can only claim the ?20, is that right? Is there anyway I can insure it for $500 and not pay import tax on it? Could I insure it for $500, and ask my aunty to say its a `broken guitar, left behind on holiday` hah or do things like that have no effect on if you pay import tax or not.

EDIT

Are Educational goods exempt from import tax/duty? If they are, do you reckon I'd be able to insure the guitar for its value and put that it's `educational equipment` like I need for music at school?!?!?
            Last edited by Link; 16-04-2005, 18:28.

Comment

What's the likelihood of Play-Asia marking down automatically? I ask because I ordered a package from them before, shipped via DHL, and failed to ask for marking down. I've ordered from them again, shipping via EMS, and emailed them the same night asking for a mark-down, but the next morning I got an email saying they couldn't as the order had already shipped .

However, I have heard peeps tell of Play-Asia ALWAYS marking stuff as a 'sample'. So, what are my chances? I really don't want to have to pay the Parcel Force man ?25 >_<.

Comment

I don't bother to ask them to mark down, since they do it automatically. Yep, as a "sample", usually at around 40% of the actual cost.

Unless the item you ordered is only worth ?30-40, you're in for a mugging I'm afraid, and EMS is the worst company to use since it's ParcelFarce who'll deliver it... they demand ?14 straight off without VAT or Import duty even coming into the equation.

Comment

Ordering 1 JPN GC game from Play Asia valued under ?15. Will I get charged customs for such a low amount?
                  Last edited by SharkAttack; 19-04-2005, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
                    Ordering 1 JPN GC game from Play Asia valued under ?15. Will I get charged customs for such a low amount?
                    No - the allowed limit is ?18, so anything under is exempt.

Comment

Woo hoo cheers

Comment

I've just had 2 PSPs delivered by UPS from DVDsoon. They marked the package as 598 canadian dollars (it was actually cheaper but dvdsoon always do this). I was expecting a big payout of about ?70 when opened the door for the package but got none. Ive searched the forum and it seems everyone says UPS wont give you your parcel till youve paid.

Has there been some kind of miracle and I've got away with it or will they send me a letter in a couple of weeks demanding money.

The really anoying thing is one of the PSPs was broke, the sound was completly distorted and just static so I've had to send it back to DVDsoon. This could mean I pay customs twice.

Comment

ok just a quick question ok i am thinking of buying a PSP
                          my question is i am goingto import some of the film
                          by looking at this topic i worked it out to cost me about ?30 dose this sound right of have i got my sums wrongs

Comment

I just got hit by ?13 for TWO CDs for ****'s sake

and btw Fedex charge 2.5% of the combined Duty and VAT charges or ?4.50 (whichever is more, the bastads)

I may try to claim as a student - does anyone know how to contact 'post clearance'? Is that with the courier or with HM Customs?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ACKman

The really anoying thing is one of the PSPs was broke, the sound was completly distorted and just static so I've had to send it back to DVDsoon. This could mean I pay customs twice.
                              you shouldn't get them to mark the parcel as repaired goods or something like that as you are getting a new one in exchange

Comment

I just got hit by ?13 for TWO CDs for ****'s sake
                                points at monitor and starts lol whilst moving around insanely in chair.

But seriously, customs sucks. Rip-off-Britain.

Comment

Working...
                                X