No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to think one picture could be so perfect.

Spoilers Ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Episode 3

I feel like the execution of the episode in terms of the battle goes without saying but... I can't escape the feeling that it was underwhelming. Too many questionable moments logically speaking thanks to 'plot armour' and it didn't end in a way that was satisfying, instead it felt like it rendered a large chunk of 7 seasons mythology as redundant. It was fine but pulled its punches and made the White Walkers more an inconvenience than a threat. Feels like we're headed into the last three eps now with the least interesting set up
      In a way, I kinda agree.

That being said, I'm unsure what would've been better. The problem with GoT is that the show has been on a slow-burn long enough that the casserole they put in the oven 8 or so years ago is practically a diamond by now. The whole show was almost like Lost, i.e. an exercise in building up dread, a fear of the slow-encroaching apocalypse that was just beyond the horizon. I'm not certain it would've been possible to live up to those expectations, regardless of how they approached it.

Ultimately, the characters had to either win or lose, and I think either way would've always been underwhelming.

My only concern is that I don't know where they go from here. The presence of the white walkers was a big part of what made the show work; now that's effectively over, done, dusted, it remains to be seen if they can turn that into something good. The whole thing with the Night King and his army is that they showed how Westerosi society is functionally broken, with its constant bickering over the throne which almost cost the lives of everyone. Now that's over, will they just go back to more of the same?

Comment

This week's episode was a great way to demonstrate how poor NowTV is at delivering the expected video quality of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          This week's episode was a great way to demonstrate how poor NowTV is at delivering the expected video quality of the show.
          Don't worry I watched it on showbox and it was equally horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
            Hard to think one picture could be so perfect.

Spoilers Ahead.

This is amazing!

Comment

Loved that episode.

Some great moments - one made me gawp - and great dialogue. Very in keeping with earlier seasons.

Comment

Agreed. Danny’s expression at the end told us what we all suspected I think.

Comment

I personally thought this episode was predictable as hell and heavily sprayed with fan fiction. Still had some good moments though.

Jamie can go to hell for all I care.

Comment

Apparently it's one of the worst rated episodes in the shows history. There's undoubtedly a lot of spin on that by nerd ragers but I can partially see some of the issues. I enjoyed it but narratively it was very choppy and weak, there's a fair bit of really dumb stuff in it and it was all about lurching the show painfully from the last episode to being ready for the next episode because the all too apparent truth now is that that 6 episodes is far too short to wrap GoT up satisfactorily. It feels all but obvious how it will pan out for the final two now, the show's long lost its ability to surprise... or at intelligently do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Apparently it's one of the worst rated episodes in the shows history. There's undoubtedly a lot of spin on that by nerd ragers but I can partially see some of the issues. I enjoyed it but narratively it was very choppy and weak, there's a fair bit of really dumb stuff in it and it was all about lurching the show painfully from the last episode to being ready for the next episode because the all too apparent truth now is that that 6 episodes is far too short to wrap GoT up satisfactorily. It feels all but obvious how it will pan out for the final two now, the show's long lost its ability to surprise... or at intelligently do so.
                      Although I think people are coming down a bit harshly, there were a few things which, really, were quite poor.

Danaerys is riding a dragon; realistically, it should be impossible for a fleet to sneak up upon her ships. A rock outcrop doesn't shield them to sight from the air.

The show has taken lengths to make the world feel expansive and huge. It's meant to take 3 months of constant riding to reach King's Landing from Winterfell, and that's for a messenger; it takes longer for most people. This has been really compromised in the last few seasons where individual jump cuts seem to jump months by virtue of their geographic location.

There are production niggles too, such as how King's Landing is like Gotham from the Nolan Batman movies; it changes shape every time we see it.

Reading online, there's a fair bit of disappointment, and I have some sympathy; then again this isn't my first rodeo with long-running series and I think they're always disappointing if they set up enough lore.

Comment

In the past two years, on and off, at least five potential spin-offs to HBO’s big-budget fantasy series “Game of Thrones” were in development. It was expected at least one would rise to the top, and the rest would be either scrapped or developed into a secondary series. Jane Goldman’s pitch, a prequel set thousands […]

I need my Dragons' Den I'm Out gif, according to Martin two other spin-offs other than the already confirmed one are still progressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                          I personally thought this episode was predictable as hell and heavily sprayed with fan fiction. Still had some good moments though.

Jamie can go to hell for all I care.
                          I think a lot of people are misreading this scene he's not going back to be with her he's going back to kill her, his speech is about what a terrible person he is and how he's going to have to go and do terrible things again, murdering his sister and his unborn child.

As for the worst character in the show (Pirate Pete and his invisible fleet) GRR Martin has said that no ground assault or Balitista can hit a dragon in flight so the show is massively taking the piss with the source material. saying that though while Danny's dragon was able to dodge a full on frontal assault the injured dragon was a taken by surprise and was shown to be struggling in the air. if the boats had been hiding in a cove not visible from the air this scene would have been massively more believable. It's scenes like this that are badly written and clearly have no place in the final books that wind the viewership up.

I think there setting up Danny not to be on the Iron throne, with the death of Misanday she's lost her last voice of reason and her last close confidant, she is turning her back on Tyrian's advice and doesn't trust him, and she now mistrusts John. I believe she will turn against John when she finds out he has confided in his sisters (she pretty much gave him the ultimatum of this secret dies with us or your against me). She is alone and isolated in Westoros, she's going to make a massive error next episode i think she will win against Cerci but she will also loose the trust of everyone.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 07-05-2019, 09:12.

Comment

I don't think it's obvious in the slightest and thought it was a good episode. The only reasonable ending left is the decimation of the heroes due to infighting and Cersei keeping the throne! After all, GoT is a tragedy.

They won't though, as the show will suffer the same fate as Lost and The Sopranos with the "don't bother - the end is ****" brigade.

Comment

All feels too rushed without the books as reference material. Lazy Martin.

Not impressed with captain Birdseye nailing the dragon with his magical cloaked fleet that the 2 dragons & Danny conveniently missed, ruined the episode.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-05-2019, 10:57.

Comment

Don't forget the Starbucks cup!

Comment

Working...
                                X