Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DTS or Dolby 5.1?

Hey kids :P.

OK, the plan is, I'm going to buy me one of these LCD monitor/TVs, to link to a mini Mac, my PS2, my GC, and my Dreamcast. I'm probably going to put the mac through VGA (obviously), GC through component, and the rest through RGB SCART.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea?

My main question though, is should I go for a DTS or Dolby 5.1 surround system? I'm looking to spend <?200 (cheapskate I know).

Also, has anyone got any idea about stands for this sort of thing? Preferably a nice sort of pine look, should I be looking towards Ikea?

Cheers!

Any decent AMP will allow both, go for a DTS amp it will play back Doly not always the same the other way round tho.

Comment

Dolby is a standard so every amp will support it, as gooner said. Most amps now support DTS though so you shouldn't have to choose either/or. DTS is generally superior but the differences are always going to be subjective...some prefer the deeper bass of DTS tracks, others don't.

I thought this would a "what sounds better: DTS or Dolby?" thread...I love fanboy topics

Comment

Pacman, you do realise that the monitor is 4.3(fullscreen) rather than 16.9(widescreen) and all the consule's that you mention won't output DTS anyway.

Comment

Yeah, it's OK, it's a small room, but, ****, I thought PS2 would output DTS for DVDs?!

EDIT: yeah there's a DTS logo on top of it!

Comment

DTS is teh k1ng! More bandwidth, less compression = more detail. Be sure and buy an amp that supports it.

PS2 or most DVD players will send the DTS bitstream to your amp but only if there's a DTS track on the disc (much less common than Dolby Digital). I'm just saying it's not like you can just buy a DTS amp and play all your movies in DTS. It has to be on the disc, and often won't be.

Comment

lol can o worms. This debate opens a real can of worms, i think its down to personal choice thankfully most newish amps offer both so theres no need to chose.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacman555
                Yeah, it's OK, it's a small room, but, ****, I thought PS2 would output DTS for DVDs?!

EDIT: yeah there's a DTS logo on top of it!
                They (PS,XBOX) will only output DTS for DVD as no games that I know are in DTS. Sorry, should have been more clear. If you buy a surround sound unit, make sure that it has an optical digital input so you can connect up the ps2 via a optical digital cable.

Comment

I've noticed a lot of PS2 and Xbox games don't have Dolby either. FFX doesnt, but FFX-2 does. But I find that the sounds are nice even if it's not running in actual 5.1. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles sounds great though a decent amp and speakers

Comment

I do know that GTA: Vice City is in DTS and I think San Andreas is too. Most other games are PLII too unfortunately.

Comment

actually san andreas is PLII

Comment

I would not worry about it. If it were me I would buy a decent used amp and speakers for ?200 rather the latest all in one system with PLIIx etc.
                        I just got hold of a sony 930 amp, kef Q10 mains and rears and a Kef Q90c centre speaker for a mate for ?230, and then we got him a Rel Strata sub for ?90.
                        That will beat any of the all in one systems up to about ?1500 hands down, and the prologic will sound better than their DTS.

DTS in theory should sound alot better as it can use 1536kbps, but there are so few discs out there recorded in this sound format that it isn't worth buying a system over.
                        If an amp is good at what it does, or should do, then there will be very little between a DD and DTS soundtrack recorded at there standard bitrates. And there are loads of discs where the DD mastering is better than the DTS mastering. So it is not cut and dry which is best, it really is down to the individual media.

I was playing something the other night, and this is to people who are really into this ****, and they were all blown away by it, to say they were even more shocked when I explained it was a stereo track playing through regualr Pro Logic is an understatement.

Try and track down some quality used bits then buying new ****e!

Comment

What you need is an amp that support DD5.1, DTS and Pro Logic II and Stereo sounds. Anything else is a bonus ie 6.1 sound support whatever format.

Make sure it got enough inputs for your consoles, and DVD Player and Digital TV receiver.

Comment

I used to have a sherwood amp, which I bought from richer sounds, and all the DTS disks I played sounded much more powerful than when playing the same through DD5.1, it was quite noticeable really, DD5.1 was good as well though.

Comment

One thing to remeber is that alot of amps give a 10db gain in the bass with DTS, so it can sound fuller with more slam in certain scenes.

Comment

Working...
                              X