No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you watched this? Google address most of the concerns raised here.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      Have any of you watched this? Google address most of the concerns raised here.
      Don't want to seem abrupt, but can you explain how they've fixed the latency issue? Because if it doesn't involve "build a data-centre within a mile of every user" then I can't see how. We've already seen diagrams that they've put out where they defend their latency figures, but they're not as good as Google seem to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Don't want to seem abrupt, but can you explain how they've fixed the latency issue? Because if it doesn't involve "build a data-centre within a mile of every user" then I can't see how. We've already seen diagrams that they've put out where they defend their latency figures, but they're not as good as Google seem to think.
        I think the more pertinent observation is will the latency figures be 'good enough'. If the mass market can put up with lag similar to or not too much worse than dedicated hardware then there's a massive market. This kinda feels like streaming or mobiles where it's not a question of whether the tech will succeed but when. It certainly doesn't mean dedicated boxes are going anywhere for awhile, albeit may decline at some point much like physical media or consoles have post streaming and mobiles.

I'd argue the figures from Digital Foundry show acceptable levels of latency.

Google, much like MS and Amazon have the infrastructure to make this better than Sony or Nvidia do. That along with some of the hires they have made make this something to take much more seriously than previous cloud streaming services.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

I'd argue the figures from Digital Foundry show acceptable levels of latency.

Google, much like MS and Amazon have the infrastructure to make this better than Sony or Nvidia do. That along with some of the hires they have made make this something to take much more seriously than previous cloud streaming services.
          Agreed, But one needs to see what the service is like out in the wild. But given the infrastructure both MS and Google have and how it's well established around the world I don't see them making another On-live cock up

Comment

Well, bandwidth for the servers will be clear because there'll be so few users. Without plenty exclusive content it's utterly redundant to most existing gamers and that's the first audience they need to win over

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              If the mass market can put up with lag similar to or not too much worse than dedicated hardware
              Yeah; I need to caveat my opinions. This seems to be the general consensus, but similar to what has been expressed here, I think most of us are in the "power user" category who really need greater reassurance. I just find it very hard to believe, given prior attempts.

Comment

Honestly, I know it's famous last words and all but it feels so insanely like the Ouya and OnLive discussion all over again.

I just don't think existing gamers have any reason to care about Stadia and I also just don't believe that the rest of the non-gaming world has been sitting here all this time and is ready to dive on in but found the inconvenience of buying a console to be that much of a hurdle. They're just not interested and any system or attempt that has overcome this issue to any extent in the past has done so via a compelling hook such as the Wii's motion controls or the DS's touchscreen dual display set up. Stadia doesn't offer anything at all that isn't already available except that it's streaming based. It still requires users commit to some sort of physical purchase in order to use it too via needing a controller and its large passive mobile gamers market as well gains nothing from it.

The whole thing reeks of streaming tech being an emerging tech so Google has invested into it but at this point needs something to do with it so has come up with a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

From this point of view Microsoft are in a much better position with xCloud; rather than marketing as a replacement to console/PC gaming, they can offer it as a supplementary service and allow it to gain traction that way.

Comment

Yep, they have a working base and familiarity with the market and are in a good position to build on what works at the right time. They just need to time things right as presumably at some point Game Pass will need to increase in price and XBL Subscriptions abolished rather than setting up multiple user charges. Google is more, here's the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Stadia doesn't offer anything at all that isn't already available except that it's streaming based. It still requires users commit to some sort of physical purchase.
                      Sorry to bang on about that, but neither of these are correct.

1. You can use existing controllers, mouse or keyboard with free software (Chrome).
                      2. Having a 'non-narrow' server and client connection opens up scenarios that just aren't possible.

Again the DF video states a lot of this.

PS: I definitely agree that MS probably have an advantage with xCloud given their existing brands and subscriptions and user base to tap into.

Comment

You can use existing controllers etc but that assumes you're an existing gamer/owner of them and therefore least likely to need this service. I guess xCloud shows how such services are working to try and accomodate removing the need such as touch screen controls etc but those set ups are awful.

Comment

I played unreal tournament using OnLive and the latency was acceptable and that seems like a decade ago now.

Comment

Yup, for most it will be a complete non issue. You can use any controllers but I found it interesting that google's controller connects to your wi fi. They have really thought about these aspects and are in the best position to make this a success.

That is, if they bother to tell anyone the service exists. However, judging by their reveal presentation, they are serious about this

Comment

Of course they are - a service like this gives massive opportunities for data collection and advertising - the raison d'etre for Google's existence.

Comment

I’m very anti google these days but ignoring the android phone for a moment could someone use multiple google accounts, one for each of their services, and make it so the data they collect doesn’t get amalgamated into one big bucket that describes everything about you? I guess you’d need a way to run multiple VPN too, one for each service so they couldn’t figure out that all the accounts belonged to the same person.

Comment

Working...
                                X