Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apex Legends - f2p Battle Royale out now (Xbox One, PS4 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, by the sounds they might want to quick reverse plans to divert staff from other projects so they can focus on Apex

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Yep, by the sounds they might want to quick reverse plans to divert staff from other projects so they can focus on Apex
      If you believe the stories in the industry press, the developers are working hard, but they've said they refuse to let them work overtime or engage in bad work/life balance practices. Conversely, Fortnite's devs are complaining about being exploited, and being coerced to work a huge number of hours under bad working conditions to keep up its crazy content schedule.

Comment

I can believe it when it comes to Fortnite, the seasons on that are a blur. I think I first played it during Season 3 and the last time I played it was Season 8 which feels like 5 minutes ago. The laugh is, for me, the changes aren't enough to hold me as it's still a game featuring 1 map and none of the changes ever felt that meaningful so it's amazing people aren't bored and moving on yet.

Comment

I can believe it when it comes to Fortnite, the seasons on that are a blur. I think I first played it during Season 3 and the last time I played it was Season 8 which feels like 5 minutes ago. The laugh is, for me, the changes aren't enough to hold me as it's still a game featuring 1 map and none of the changes ever felt that meaningful so it's amazing people aren't bored and moving on yet.
          Despite 1 map and some still dodgy hit detection (mf'ing pathfinders) it plays really well compared all other F2P and paid BR shooters, specially those looking for a good arcade shooter.

Comment

Yeah. the thing is with Fortnite, that's not just a videogame, it's a bona fide cultural phenomenon - like Disco, or the Yo-yo. They kinda need to ride it as hard as possible before it fizzles out, as it eventually will.

Comment

Presumably that fear of it fizzling out is where the Epic Store comes in, leveraging its success into an attempt to secure that Valve money pot

Comment

Season 2 update is out, 1 new character, a changed up map, new weapon mods for every gun, and ranking mode.

Watton is... alright, the fence isn't great even with the incase in indoor spaces, easily destroyed by shooting the base. The Ultimate destroys grenades and heals shield(slowly) but as accelerates give full ultimates you have stead supply for free shields.

They've revamped large parts of the maps and filled in empty spaces, gives that fortnite "map story" progression season to season.

New mods and changes: unshielded killer for P20 and moz, shield killer for auto pistol, energy weapons get mags, shotgun ammo storage 1/4 the size now..., blue zone gone and instead 3 drop pods fall, L-star LMG is a beast but you're out ammo after 2-3 kills, Gib and Gasman get 15% dmg reduction now, small ninja run characters +5% damage taken, mirage ultimate is now useful as you can cancel out of it.

they finally put the datacenter up front(on ps4), instead of having to wait 5mins and hit r3 to change it. Better stat tracking across all characters.

Instead of bonus exp (for using different characters or having a battlepass) you earn Battle points from every 18k exp and doing daily and weekly challenges, like get 2 kill in this area, get headshots etc,etc.

Season pass costs the same (about £8 real money), same rubbish skins for weapons but the added a lot more loot(boxes)tics (about triple season1 tree) on the progress tree and new stuff like emotes when you flying and music changes.

Ranking mode basically scores for finishing place, so atm you find a large amount of idiots soloing off to camp the outskirts of the map to get in the top 5, they really need to rewarded proactive players with better points for damage scored which anyone can do with a normal skill level.

Comment

another large patch, another pile of expensive skins... and they wonder why the game is dying. They've added a really bad extra lootbox cycle where money + the event points (new currency, can also buy it, which based on the tough or really large number grind for event challenges they really want you to do spend, spend, spend) gets you a 50% chance at one of 10 new legendary skins, 5 bad looking weapons and 5 actually pretty well done character models. Would be much less cancerous just just sell all the skins for £4-5 each.

And for 1 week only, solo mode. It's pretty trash as only Pathfinder works with his mobility, even then it's sneak around the edges of the map or have a bit of fun shooting till you get 3rd partied. Mainly used solo mode so far to get my battlepass weekly challenges done without being a dick to my 2 other teammates (like land in certain hot zones so many times or open 10 boxs)

Comment

Yea, was reading about this late last night on ResetEra: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ape...-level.134700/

Sounds horrible.

The event has been live for a few hours now and people have been quick to spot the outrageous levels of monetization that has been implemented into the event. Here's a quick summary:
                    • 24 of the new cosmetic items can only be obtained via rng loot boxes.
                    • The game will give you two loot boxes for free by playing the game, but that's it. After that you have to buy more loot boxes, ten of them will cost you $70.
                    • Even if there are no dupes, getting hold of all 24 items would therefore cost $154.
                    • Once you've done that, there's another item you will then have to pay a further $35 to unlock.
                    • There is NO WAY to acquire a specific item, not even with real money. Literally all items are locked behind rng crates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                      another large patch, another pile of expensive skins... and they wonder why the game is dying.
                      They need to recoup the development costs for this 'free' game somehow. Like this wasn't the plan from way back before development started. Rather than play the more ethical long game they probably promised investors a 2-3 year turnaround.

Comment

Occasionally get alot of kills, but it usually due to having decent randoms to carry me. First time as mostly solo fight i choose to go on the attack rather than camp to top 5 (which is the current meta for ranked and getting those top5/3 challenges), turned out rather well.

Comment

Some comments in the Apex Legends subreddit that I'm sure is going to generate some follow-up news and YouTube stories. It appears a Respawn Apex Community Manager and Developer made some comments that could be construed as not being professional.

Apex Legends developers spark outrage after calling gamers “dicks”, “ass-hats”and “freeloaders” - ResetEra Link

Users of the Apex Legends subreddit were left shocked and outraged last night as two Respawn developers called gamers “dicks”, suggested they were “ass-hats” and described them as “freeloaders” in unfiltered public comments.

Responding to overwhelming criticism to an official apology and step-back from the game’s recent controversial microtransaction changes in the Iron Crown event two Respawn developers, dk05 (a Respawn Developer) and Jayfresh_Respawn (the Respawn Community Manager), fired back with insults, sarcastic comments and attacks on the gaming community.
                          Although I think there's definitely some truth in the comments, there definitely an incomplete set of exchanges here, i.e. the comments about pricing don't necessarily cover the whole strategy for how games price up microtransactions. I'd be surprised if EA/Respawn doesn't tighten up it's communication to the community after this.

Comment

They are having too many beers at the BBQ replies. Well done for making things worse with your community Respawn.

Comment

Respawn admits "we broke our promise" with Apex Legends' current loot box-riddled event

"Respawn has responded to the furore around Apex Legends' controversial Iron Crown Collection event, admitting it broke its promise about how loot boxes would work in the game, and announced plans to sell coveted cosmetics directly.

This week Respawn's otherwise brilliant battle royale hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons with the arrival of the hotly-anticipated Iron Crown event.

But anticipation quickly turned into disappointment when it emerged the event was riddled with loot boxes. Most of the Iron Crown Collection cosmetics were locked behind expensive loot boxes and, worst of all, Bloodhound's heirloom set, which contains an axe, a kill quip and a banner pose, could only be unlocked after opening around £130's worth of packs - and then paying another £28 on top of that."

Comment

It's worth mentioning that this was Respawn's response prior to the lead dev and community manager 'going off' on their subreddit yesterday.

I think many felt the changes were predictable and didn't address many of the concerns. That said I think it is probably fair to say Respawn/EA are caught up in a much wider debate around business models and monitisation in current videogames.

Comment

Working...
                                X