Show us your dogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zuul.
    Last edited by PaTaito; 03-12-2015, 00:29.

Comment

Sorry double post.

Comment

Meet R2!

Comment

Then and now, Sylar is coming up to his 3rd birthday.

Little puppy 12 weeks old on his first walk in the park.

Spying on next doors cat, he hates em'

Comment

totoro

Comment

Put up a load of videos of my Musashi, from the first week we got him to now. Will be adding a video a day if people are interested He was so cute as a puppy, now he's a little monster

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                Put up a load of videos of my Musashi, from the first week we got him to now. Will be adding a video a day if people are interested He was so cute as a puppy, now he's a little monster

http://youtu.be/pnLH4ym7yYM
                He is lovely, its nice to see him goto the crate, it shows its his safe place...

We had a crate for Sylar, we sacrificed the kitchen table to have it though, it was a XL

We don't need it any longer as he's usually calmed down quite quickly when we have visitors

Comment

Originally posted by chojin View Post
                  He is lovely, its nice to see him goto the crate, it shows its his safe place...

We had a crate for Sylar, we sacrificed the kitchen table to have it though, it was a XL

We don't need it any longer as he's usually calmed down quite quickly when we have visitors
                  Thanks. We used the crate for about 2 or 3 months and haven't used it since. In the last couple of weeks he's been sleeping on my bed at night and always rests there. He's a lovely dog but trying to train him has been a nightmare, he still occasionally pees on the floor without asking to go out or doing it on his tray, and when taking him for walks he's always pulling on his lead and walking in front. We've tried all the different techniques with seen online (give him treats when he pees outside, if he pulls the lead too much just stand still and wait until he comes back etc.) but nothing works. He's 10 months old now so should be past all of this. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

I would seriously consider going to classes, the good citizen scheme is a good one to do. I can't stress how important training is.

I train with Sylar on every walk, I have been using a trainer on a one-to-one basis since Sylar was about 12 months old, we went to local classes and found a trainer through that. Sylar is a working line German Shepherd so we have to train him.

Pulling on the lead... What I used the most, as soon as he pulls, change direction and keep doing so every time he pulls, you won't get very far but its to reinforce that you control where you are going.

I would do away with the tray. I never used mats/pads/tray... Just kept taking him outside every hour and rewarded him for doing his business, but we did this from bringing him home at 7 weeks old. He won't even go now unless we take him for a walk, he needs to be on grass
                    Last edited by chojin; 05-01-2016, 14:50.

Comment

Just want to leave this one here for the memory.

Comment

^ Beautiful.

Comment

We got a 4-5 month old puppy, a rescue street dog from Bosnia. She's absolutely gorgeous and wonderful and she has bonded with me and the kids really well.

Which is why it's even more upsetting to say that we're giving her back . My daughter ran a concerted campaign to convince her brothers and my wife that we should get a dog and she would do most of the walking, poop scooping etc. and against my instincts, I caved in. My teenage daughter has had to be pushed, cajoled and bollocked to get up in the night to take her for a pee, wash the bowls and other minor tasks. So, we finally had a family heart to heart and confronted the fact that the idea of a dog has turned out to be better than the reality.

One of the twins has really taken it hard and I'm in bits for breaking his heart (he's 8 and was so angry) and I'm wracked with guilt that this little bundle of fur who is so perfect (she's really wonderful, intelligent and receptive to training and has been an all-round superstar) and she's taking the brunt of our failure but we're just not good enough for her. We're loving her at arms length; all the realities of dog ownership, the fleas, the smells, the time commitment for consistent training and the poop- we're just not dog people... and it sickens me that I knew this already.

It's absolutely my fault, I should have been the miserable ogre who said no, but I allowed myself to be swayed.

The rescue service have been very understanding and have found her a foster home with another dog, and I'll have to take her there tomorrow. I hope she enjoyed her short time here and settles down well in her foster home. She's a special girl but however much she wagged her tail at me 2am, when we go for a night pee, it wasn't enough for me to forego the hard realities of dog parenting.

Sorry if this upsets some of you guys as dog lovers, I deserve your ire. I made an awful mistake and I hope she finds a forever home with decent folks.

(I'm fighting back tears as I write this.. so ****ing miserable about the whole affair).
                          Last edited by gunrock; 04-06-2019, 14:29.

Comment

I would kick the daughter out first if she can't do what she said she would do.

I have a rescue from Romania, they have had a crap start, get pushed into kill centres, then get rescued out and into foster homes, and then get put into a home that should be there for them forever.

Sure, if they are aggressive fair enough. But because the new owner finds it a bit hard work?!!

Stand your ground with your daughter or take on the burden yourself.

Sorry, but this sort of thing really, really ****ing annoys me.

Comment

[MENTION=988]gIzzE[/MENTION]: fair enough POV. Her story is not as tragic because she was found as a small puppy and moved in a foster home in Bosnia with 4 dogs and several cats, with a family and their little girl. So she's had a slightly rough start but she was lucky in a lot of ways - perhaps meeting us was her worst break, so far.

As to my daughter, I'm angry with her, but I can see she has made a mistake too (playing with your friends digs is not representative of the dog owning experience) and it's been a long way to fall, as my wife and I have given her a lot of ****.

None of that changes what you say and I respect your views.

Comment

You did what you had to do. Yeah, it sucks. But it's better the dog is somewhere where she can be looked after and not resented. Sorry to hear it worked out this way. I'm sure it was never the intention. I just hope the dog isn't getting the boot just to teach your daughter a lesson - that would be one harsh lesson on all of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X