Things to check for when buying a HDTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to check for when buying a HDTV?

I'm interested in getting a new TV, probably a HDTV, but I have no idea what to check for. I'm probably going to use it mainly for games and DVDs, and I want the best possible image quality for current and next gen systems. What should I check for when I'm going to make my purchase? I already have 1 specific TV in mind, but I wanna make sure it has enough outputs and contrast and resolution, etc.
    I get drowned in technical terms, anyone wanna make things clear for me?
    Thanks in advance!

Just remember that just because it says it's an HDTV, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to give the best results. A lot of people think that if it's HD, it has to be good, but a surprising amount of things can go wrong. The same applies as usual - just don't skimp on it and to be safe buy from the Panasonics, Toshibas and Sonys of the world. Give anything from the cheaper manufacturers a good lookover. And make sure to look for the HD Ready logo, which guarantees you at least one Component Input, one HDMI input, at least 720 lines of screen resolution (768 lines is the standard for LCD right now) and assures that the set is capable of receiving 50hz signals over these inputs.

I'm assumiung there still aren't many HD-capable CRTs in this country (not been following CRT lately at all so correct me if I'm wrong) - if so are you going for LCD or Plasma?

Comment

Be warned that some TVs are being falsely advertised by some idiots as HD Ready. They might have a HDMI slot and can take a 720p image, but they scale it back down to 480p.

Always check the resolutions available before buying.

Comment

I'm probably going to go for plasma, it's cheaper than LCD here.
        Bear in mind, I'm not living in Europe.

Comment

Interesting, where do you live?

Comment

Is this 26" Samsung very definitely HD ready and all that?

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

Comment

Seriously, it is my 18th Birthday this October and I would very much like to ask for the 26" Samsung LCD, which is shown in the link on the above poster. I understand all the HD-TV malarky but when I read various comments about Plasmas/LCDs the connection word DVI seems to pop up often: I question what it does and why is it important?

Mr Fujiwasa has explained in the past but I shall not be linking my Mac/PC to the LCD so should I ignore the DVI advice and buy the Samsung?

Cheers; this place is reliable and most people on here has a better knowledge of technology than the staff in PC World, Comet or any other electronic warehouse.

Comment

There are a large amount of reports of tearing on the Samsung when running at 720p @ 60hz.

Comment

I don't recommend the Samsung either, for a variety of reasons. The tearing being one of them, the fact that so far they have done absolutely nothing about it another.

Comment

Just bought the LG 26" set from Comet for 799... ****in' awesome. One to consider, only slighty more than the Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                      Just bought the LG 26" set from Comet for 799... ****in' awesome. One to consider, only slighty more than the Samsung.
                      ?150 is hardly a slight difference, I'm afraid :S

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smith
                        ?150 is hardly a slight difference, I'm afraid :S
                        Hah good point. I was thinking more relatively really.

It's very likely you can find this set much cheaper online mind you, I simply got it from Comet for hassle-free return if need be.

Comment

Anyone know if that's one any good? Basically, I'm looking for a 26" widescreen LCD that's fully HD-Ready and isn't crap

Comment

I'm afraid that one has no Component or HDMI.

But it does have a DVI socket compatible with HDCP mind.

Comment

lol, see, this is why HD-Ready is so annoying. It's anything but clear. For consoles it's HDMI that I need, right? What will the eventual SkyHD service use?

Comment

Working...
                              X