Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Having been given a Genesis just recently with Hellfire, Revenge Of Shinobi, Strider, Thunderforce 3, Sonic The Hedgehog, Dragons fury, Lemmings and Vectorman, I thought it would be nice to start up a thread around discussing the Megadrive and its games.

Interestingly as others have mentioned before, I have found the experience of playing on original hardware to have added to the enjoyment of playing the games, perhaps its the comfortable and familiar 3 button pad, or the satisfying thud of the cartridge slotting into place, but it feels a different experience to the one I had when playing on xbox emulation with 1000's of romz at my disposal,
    and after having recently owned and sold, psp's, ds's a ps2, Xbox and a few GC's, I am actually finding that my interest in videogames is being reenergised by this console, and the simplistic approach generally taken in Megadrive games, and I am finding that generally I don't have too think too much when playing these games, but can instead rely on instinct to carry me through any tricky situations in games, and this feels somewhat refreshing.

Also in playing stuff like Revenge Of Shinobi, Hellfire, Strider and Thunderforce 3, these games seem to have retained all their old playability and are enjoyable as when I first played them years ago on my JP Megadrive.
    Also I am finding that I really quite like Dragons Fury, although when it was first released I had little time for it, probably due to some level of ineptitude on my part in playing videogame pinball.

I haven't yet had much chance to play the other games I have been given, but am looking forward to seeing how these fare, and whether they can stand the test of time as Shinobi, Strider, Hellfire and TF3 have.

Anyway hope that I haven't created a thread which has been done countless times before, I just wanted to share some of my rediscovered enthusiasm
    Last edited by baad bwoy; 25-09-2005, 23:42.

Cool you got some neat-o games with that innit.

It's all about KuJakOh 2 for me, despite its ineptitude at times, it is as I quote someone from NeoGeo.com *what separates the Megadrive from Super Nintendo*.

Comment

I've played that before, though not to any great lengths...what does kujaku 2 do which makes it worth getting?

Comment

It has mutant demon babies and bald presumable homosexual enemies, more dangerous than Big Brothers Craig.

Comment

I must say I loved...

Sonic 2
          John Madden Series
          NHL Series
          Streets of Rage 2
          Sub-Terrania

Comment

i played a lot of Megadrive last night on an emulator (have the real thing, but not the space in the house at the moment)
            I hooked my Powerbook upto the TV and was using my USB Sega Saturn pad, and it was pretty close to the real thing!

I'll never sell my Megadrive, as it was my first console, and I think it's the dogs danglies. Fav games; Elemental Master, Thunderforce III, Gairies, Gunstar Heroes, Super Bomberman, Street Fighter II, Hellfire, Devil Crash MD, Strider, Ghouls N Ghosts... it goes on!

Comment

The Megadrive is my all-time favourite console.

It was my first import machine, purchased by my dad for Christmas 1990. I recall the utter joy of playing Golden Axe, Super Monaco GP and After Burner 2 on Xmas morning.

During the early 90's the MD kept me more than happy with a string of excellent games - Strider, Ghouls n Ghosts, ESWAT, Herzog Zwei, Hellfire, Zero Wing, Aero Blasters, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure, Atomic Robokid...ok, so not all of those titles would be on everyone's 'must have' list but I loved them all.

When the SNES was released I have to admit I lost a bit of interest in Sega's machine, but when titles like Gunstar Heroes and Virtua Racing were released, I split my time between the two.

When the PSX and Saturn came out, I foolishly sold all my MD stuff. By the end of the 90's I had re-collected it all again!

A great machine, and one of the main reasons that Sega is held in such high regard.

Comment

I had an import megadrive too (gotta love that pink). Phelios, Hellfire and Thunderforce 3 were my first games, seems shooters were popular back then.

The sheer amount of time EA Hockey and John Madden Football/'92 consumed disgusts me now

Comment

Gotta love the Megadrive boxes, too...best boxes ever!
                  Last edited by Duddyroar; 22-01-2007, 11:25.

Comment

You're not wrong there ! Sega should have beed given an award for such great boxes. Just a shame they take up quite a fair bit of space. At one time I had 100's of MD games but now this is all that's left Well, I actually have a Batman too but it's in one of those special tinny boxes that Sunsoft liked to use so I can't find the bloody thing.

Yakumo

Comment

MD

Flashback is the sexiest box ever made. Fact!

Comment

Hellfire still rocks my world of horizontal blasters - love the diagonal 4-way shot.

It could well be a touch of the rose-tints, but I mucho love ESwat as well - haven't played it in an age so it might well be trousers, but I had a ton of fun with that one back in the day.

I love the MD - might buy one you know.

Comment

I bought a import megadrive

Got the games gynoug/bad omen/hellfire/dino land oh and eswat all japanese versions
                          Last edited by eastyy; 26-09-2005, 11:44.

Comment

bah humbug! MD boxes were horrible cheapo plastic things, not a patch on a nice solid chunky neogeo snap lock case.

The MD? well i really liked that console back in the day, playing sonic 1 for the first time was amazing, the 16 bit era was an era which i always look back on with a tear in my eye, it was an era that brought me into videogames, thus the MD is remembered fondly by me. Unfortunately i never got one but always used to stare at it in the argos catalogue before my mum dragged me off to primary school. I always thought i'd get one but then the snes came along, playing that for the first time made the MD irrelevant mario world, mario kart, and street fighter 2 just blew me away. When i finally got my first 16 bit console i knew which one i'll have there was just no contest, the MD at this time was a good console but the snes blew it out of the water with ease, there was no contest, hell it wasn't even a match.

Which brings me back to today i have tried to get into the console but unfortunately i feel its aged badly, while i have played timeless classics such as mario world and yoshi's island, the MD games i've played with the exception of bomberman and ghouls and ghosts just feel like second rate 16 bit games. To put it in perspective playing the snes is like eating a chinesse takeaway, playing on the MD is then like having a muddy glass of water.

Comment

Christ, didn't we have this argument months ago, Muse?

Not wanting to turn this topic into a MD Vs SNES flame war, but to say the SNES blew the MD out of the water is just rubbish!

The SNES couldn't compete with the MD when it came to games like Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2 and Shinobi - and let's not even get onto the subject of shooters. Area 88 aside, the SNES was really lacking in this area, whereas the MD had brilliant shooters to spare. The laughable level of slowdown in some SNES shooters gives the impression that the machine is totally broken!

For arcade-style kicks, the MD ruled supreme. The MD even got an incredible version of Street Fighter II (eventually).

bah humbug! MD boxes were horrible cheapo plastic things, not a patch on a nice solid chunky neogeo snap lock case.
                              The SNK snaplocks came well after the days of the MD. Compare the cheap and horrible original NeoGeo cases to the MD ones (a better and more fair comparison) - the MD cases are far better.

Comment

Working...
                              X