No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK no worries. So happy about Snake and Crane as its one of Chan's best, but my VHS version was poor quality and so happy to be able to watch the film with a nice Transer.

The Film introduction is incredible and it's like a Peking opera show, with none of the annoying music

Comment

I finally watched Island of Fire and I must say the prison they're in is completely unprofessional.

There's a bit of action, but it's mainly a prison melodrama that makes Shawshank look like a holiday home.
      There's a mix of tones with some comedy and sauce alongside the dramatic scenes that don't quite work, IMHO.
      One minute, the prisoners are all working to make a road and then a woman gets a flat tyre right next to them. Obviously it's pouring down and she's not wearing a bra.

They even dialled down the depressing tone by taking out the opening scene of a prisoner's execution by firing squad and reducing the length of several death scenes.

There's also a random action ending that's good, but seems to come from nowhere, rather than building up to it.

Worth a watch, but pretty forgettable.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-04-2019, 07:57. Reason: Spelling

Comment

One of the best Kung-Fu Films ever made

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          One of the best Kung-Fu Films ever made
          I can't argue with that!

Shame they've not added any new extras to these versions.

Comment

My copy has arrived too. Need to start educating my nephews in the classics.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I can't argue with that!

Shame they've not added any new extras to these versions.
              In day of you tube, I'm not too fussed over extras. I'm more concerned with getting top quality 2 to 4k transfers to my fav Kung Fu Films

Comment

Yeah, I have to agree to be honest. It’s all about the video and audio quality for me. I do like a booklet of essays though, they’re always nice to get with a film.

Watched Police Story on Eureka’s release the other night. A brilliant film and an absolutely superb transfer. The new DTS MA audio is excellent too.

Comment

88-Films announced today they're releasing:
                  Dragons Forever (4K transfer)
                  Miracles: The Canton Godfather (4K transfer)
                  The Protector (2K transfer)
                  Crime Story (2K transfer)

Specs TBC.

Comment

88 Films do some cool releases, but it’s a shame they often (always?) leave mini soundtracks as mono. I like a nice remixed DTS MA one.

edit: lol, my last post in here also bangs on about DTS. Can you tell I’ve just upgraded my speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      88-Films announced today they're releasing:
                      Dragons Forever (4K transfer)
                      Miracles: The Canton Godfather (4K transfer)
                      The Protector (2K transfer)
                      Crime Story (2K transfer)

Specs TBC.
                      Woohoo! Dragons Forever is an absolute classic and deserves a proper upgrade. Would be great if it gets a UHD release on the back of the 4k transfer.

Comment

Love all this top notch releases.

I wish someone would release the rare stuff, though. It’s been proven in recent years that stuff we call ‘rare’, that either got no release on home formats ever, or a very limited release in obscure markets, are still knocking about in good nick in the vaults of various media production companies.

The rise of streaming in Asia has meant that films we thought we lost, such as Insanity Being, turn up in good condition on PPV tv in China. Or films that we have a 7th generation Saudi VHS copy of, with burnt in Arabic subtitles, we now have crisp copies of. At the moment, people have been fortunate enough to snatch a version off youku with a watermark, and custom subtitled it themselves, but it would nice to have proper releases.

Comment

After over a year I tried going to A Dee Cee and the sites offline! I'm gutted all those years building up a ratio and I cant replace the stuff I lost. Titles that you can't even buy anywhere. I saw mention of a similar site but I don't know how to get an invite.

Comment

I looked the other day and I think they're planning on going back online.

Who knows, though?

Comment

Watched Legend of the Fist: the Return of Chen Zhen last night. It’s pretty good but when he returns to the dojo for the final showdown it turns into a Bruce Lee tribute with Donnie Yen in Lee karaoke mode and a fair few shots cribbed from the Jet Li version. Even the vigilante getup is suspiciously similar to the Green Hornet.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X