This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win! Gunstar Super heroes competition

Courtesy of THQ, we have a few Gunstar Super Heroes GBA goodies to give away.

There will only be one winner, who will get:
    Gunstar Super Heroes GBA (EUR version)
    A couple of Japanese GSH fliers
    A couple of copies of the Japanese boxart

To enter:
    Write ~100 words on who your own personal super hero is and why (fact or fiction).
    Post your effort in this thread.
    Closing date is Sat 28th Jan at some point during the day (if this thread is locked you are too late).
    NTSC-uk will decide who wins shortly afterwards.

Good luck.

Open to anyone anwhere.
    Last edited by charlesr; 13-01-2006, 10:15.

For me, Super Mario or Jesus Christ, after a pause of thought i'll go for the former, why? 100 words or less, ok..

After many years of arcade gaming, atari, home computers (zx81!) pong, along came the N.E.S. and super mario bros, it was the real deal!
    Mario Mario is great, has performed in many great games and has been the protagonist in games that define gaming as we know it. (to an extent)
    To me, he is the ultimate hero, oh and he gets to save a princess, how romantic, consume mushrooms, a fire plant, wear ourageous suits, it is so surreal and yet it takes thought to see how great this is.
    To me, Mario is the face of home video gaming!

Thought i'd get a quick one in before someone sets benchmark.

Comment

My personal super-hero is my mum. She has M.E which means she gets tired easily and can?t do too much. But despite this, she has never stepped down from being the best mum ever, my whole life, she has dedicated all the energy she has to her children, and we love her very much in return. Even when we have grown up, she spends days helping my brother out when he crashes his car, or trying to find me a game on eBay, if there is a real superhero, its someone who fights through something, to love those close to them.

Comment

David Hirst is my Super Hero.

Like all good super heroes he was a common man, his pre-match routine consisted of eating three bacon butties. He also had his weakness, in the case of Superman it was Kryptonite, for Hirsty it was Arsenal. On two separate occasions the old Arsenal back four managed to break his leg, but even a broken leg didn?t stop him scoring a scissor kick from 25 yards.

We lost 7-1.

And like Spiderman, Batman et al. the powers that be never ?got? Hirsty. A meagre three England caps, with one goal to his name. The man is still hero worshipped by half of Sheffield and envied by the other half. After all, their ?super? hero is Brian Deane!

Comment

My Super Heroes are the healthcare professionals both here and abroad who cared for my daughter recently when she was ill. First of all they saved her life in Tenerife, and then mended her heart in the UK. Heroes are people you look up to, aspire to and respect, something I will always have for those doctors, nurses and everyone else involved after what they did for my precious little girl. There are lots of people out there who will feel the same way.

Comment

Nils Waltersen Aasen, the inventor of the hand grenade. No longer must you look your enemy in the eye, just watch him fly! Modern gaming owes this man so much, without him we wouldnt have such fun with frags, rpgs, nade launchers, incediaries (petrol bombs), concussion nades and smokes. Great for stealthy booby traps, riot control and even comedy props - a common mistake is to not to grasp the handle before pulling the pin. Without my hero "Fire in the hole" is the aftermath of a vindaloo and the holy handgrenade wouldnt "bloweth thine enemies unto tiny pieces".

Thats my piece. Go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade for more info

Comment

My super Cat

Well my personal Super hero is..... wait for it..... my Ragdoll Cat, Dolly !!!,

She's always there to cheer me up, Especially when IM feeling I'll,
              I know what McBacon means about his Mum, As I too suffer from M.E (Also known as Chronic fatigue syndrome) It don't half get you down when its bad
              Dolly is always there to brighten even the worst day, You may be sitting, feeling Depressed, Then , she'll come out of nowhere with a dainty little "meow" and jump onto your lap, purring away like a Harley Davidson! (actually, more like a moped!)
              After a while all your problems seem to drift away !

Super cat pic -
              Attached Files

Comment

And Lord knows, kids like Spagmasterswift need a hero. Courageous, self-sacrificing people. Setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, scream their names. And years later, they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them how to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.

Old people are the real heroes.

Comment

Much as I believe that nominating Charlesr as my superhero will get me closer to winning.....I'm going to go with Shatner.

For starters, the song Holding out for a Hero, by Bonnie Tyler is like a checklist of Shatner. Fresh from the fight? Larger than life? All of the above.

He's been involved in some of the most important science fiction of the 20th century, broke barriers of race and sex and did the only good cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Not only that but in his later years he's become one of the funniest comedy actors I've ever seen. This guy deadpans like Deaton dreams he can.

So there we have it. Shatner is my personal SuperHero. Oh, and he looks bizarrely like my mother.

Comment

I suppose my hero would have to be the one man whose work instantly inspires me to get up off my arse and actually paint something.

For years my interest in painting died a slow death, until I discovered the works of Leon Golub. After stumbling across his early work one day, I became instantly intrigued/stimulated/revitalised and shot into action - a painting frenzy, if you will.

I won't bore you with some of the amazing stuff he did with his wife Nancy Spero throughout the course of the Vietnam war, but the guys passion for his subject and compassion for humanity make him my number one Hero.
                    Check him out if you like art. (^_^)

Comment

My super hero would have to be my good ol' gran! Ever since I was a child I have been closer to her than my own mother. Having been recently diagnosed with breast cancer we all thought the worst... But no! Not my nana! She had to undergo major surjery to get it removed. We were all terrified for her but amazingly she came through in the end. Considering she's a good 70 years old now, that was no easy task. What's more she still manages to get all the shopping and cooking done for her loved ones. It's still not over though.. with the notorious radiotherapy on it's way. But I know she'll come through! That's why she is my super hero!

Comment

My personal hero is the man with inky hands because while the rest of us were turning into monsters made of mannequin smiles, he realised that it would be much more fun to be burdened with the mechanism intended only to inflict some kind of inexplicable pain. He went his own way to disappear and even if that meant he must fall forever in the deep blue dark and finish where he falls apart, he very much liked that his lonely metropolis feet trudged with earthly thunder where there was no sound before. And though he is dangerous, we must be forever grateful that he is nothing but a harmless fool with inky hands.

Last edited by feelgoodwhale; 27-01-2006, 10:49.

Comment

My hero is myself, well the person inside me who wants to be the real me. Everyday i push that little bit further to better myself, facing new challenges and conquring old ones too. They say there is no greater enemy than yourself, and you alone are the greatest critic you will ever know. Whenever you look in the mirror how many of you can honestly say youare 100% proud of yourself? I can't. There was a time a few years back when i couldnt even look at myself let alone care. Knocking down those mental walls that cage your inner self is a true accomplishment. Now i can safley say and proudly say i am happier. I dont need to jump higher, run faster than anyone else because ultimatley it is i who sets my own goals and im damn proud to get to where i am today, so far. More work to be done but a hero only stays a hero if he/she faces his fears head on.

To quote LL Cool J "if the man can percieve it, the man can achieve it!"

Comment

May I present to you my hero, Virgil (70BC - 19BC), author of The Aeneid.

As the dust was settling after years of political upheaval and infighting, Virgil was asked by emperor Augustus (Octavian) to produce an epic praising his reign. Virgil duly began this task in 29BC, and the latin answer to Homer's epics The Oddysey and The Iliad was born.

"Dedication's what you need" sounded the theme of Record Breakers. Virgil epitomised it some 2 millenia earlier. For 10 years he composed the Aeneid. For 10 years he pored over each and every word. For 10 years he devoted himself to producing the single most important work of Roman literature that remains today. What's more, he didn't even finish it! Indeed such was his dedication to his art his literary executors were ordered to destroy the manuscripts at his death, and only the intervention of the emperor himself prevented this work being lost forever.

I could go on. By collating heros and myths from the past and relating them to Virgil's present, thus avoiding the enemies that outright praise of Augustus would have gained, Virgil displays intelligence second to none. The pervasive anti-Augustan undertone throughout shows Virgil was a man of principle.

Virgil's dedication to his art however makes him my hero. The fact that after 2000 years scholars are still unearthing new interpretations of the Aenied speaks for itself.
                            Last edited by wheelaa; 27-01-2006, 16:47.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, im not sure if your allowed to enter twice but i couldnt find the rule saying i cant so here it is...............

My hero is non other than Indy! Who else do you know who can save the day in three epic films and still come back nearly 20 years later for a fourth attempt? He has such great qualities about him, for a relatively small skinny guy, he sure can fight!, He is respectful to all things old and even has time to get the girl! His Pops is one cool guy and his heart is always in the right place. A true role model if i ever saw one! Overall his best quality is that he so bloody smart! who can out run a boulder, figure out trap mechanisms and be possessed by a cult and come back to save the day? His reputation procedes his so much that even his 'fine leather jacket' and 'indy whip' has become a house hold name (thanks to Lucas Arts). On a final note, if you look back to yah childhood, you know theres always a place where idiana has played a role in yah past, even if it is at Christmas after a well stuffed turkey!

Indiana, i salute you!

Comment

Working...
                              X