This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madbury
    Please don't lose sight of the fact that this site revolves around the forum members and their contributions as much as it does around the staff, if not more so.
    The reviews are read by thousands of people of which the forum members are a small proportion, and the number of people leaving any useful feedback (such as yourself), smaller still. The site and forum are quite different entities. The forum (not the site) revolves around the forum members. If the site disappeared off the face of the earth, the forum would continue on regardless (and vice versa). There used to be a large number of people in the forum community that didn't even know there is a site, although this doesn't seem to happen any more. Whether this separation is a good thing or not is something that hasn't really crossed my mind, but it works at the moment.

I'd agree that this thread could have been locked at source, but it's always interesting to hear response to change. From a purely selfish point of view, I'm immensely looking forward to not having to moderate feedback threads and then getting accused of being a member of the Third Reich, and instead getting on with editing some more reviews.

Comment

Il Postino, please email [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
        The reviews are read by thousands of people of which the forum members are a small proportion, and the number of people leaving any useful feedback (such as yourself), smaller still. The site and forum are quite different entities. The forum (not the site) revolves around the forum members. If the site disappeared off the face of the earth, the forum would continue on regardless (and vice versa). There used to be a large number of people in the forum community that didn't even know there is a site, although this doesn't seem to happen any more. Whether this separation is a good thing or not is something that hasn't really crossed my mind, but it works at the moment.

I'd agree that this thread could have been locked at source, but it's always interesting to hear response to change. From a purely selfish point of view, I'm immensely looking forward to not having to moderate feedback threads and then getting accused of being a member of the Third Reich, and instead getting on with editing some more reviews.
        Yes, yes it is, in the same way that it is always interesting to hear response to reviews, right?

As a number of people have already said, if this thread was an announcement, then it should have been locked from the start, very sloppy. Saying that, perhaps it should be kept open and we could use it to discuss the site reviews.

Comment

I disagree about the site and forum being seperate entities, at least, if they are, then it shouldnt be the case as for me they are intrinsically linked.

I still cant get my head around the decision to remove it though, for me it should be pretty much black and white if you were to base it on the principal that people are free to provide any feedback they wish on an article so long as what they write is not there to intentionally irritate, inflame or abuse the writer.

If writers are leaving because they are suffering personal abuse, it must be a failing of the moderation and/or the management's response to this abuse, as a writer should not have to expect to deal with issues like this which should be removed at source. If they are leaving because they dislike people disagreeing with their assessments, well tough, as a writer you cannot expect everyone to agree with whats said, this goes back to what I meant earlier about being 'thick skinned' to things like this.

Heres a smiley to illustrate that the above is said with good intentions in mind, without hostility

Comment

If we moderate the feedback forum we then get accused of being 'nazi's' and threads appear asking why we even bother having a feedback forum if we are going to moderate it.

If we had made the announcement and then locked the thread we would have then had people making their own threads to moan about it and once again we would have been called 'nazi's'...

If writers are leaving because they are suffering personal abuse, it must be a failing of the moderation and/or the management's response to this abuse, as a writer should not have to expect to deal with issues like this which should be removed at source.
            Complete and utter nonsense. The moderators spend their time removing abusive posts - hence your comments earlier in this thread when you stated that you couldn't find any abusive feedback posts. I am disgusted that you could even think about blaming the management for the reasons that the one writer recently left - you don't know the feedback that was given, you don't know what the management tried to keep the writer, and you are complaining at the end result of discussions taken within the moderators/management and writing staff which is looking to cut off the abusive posts at source.

This discussion is now closed, as all announcements will be from now on. We wanted to let you all have your say on the matter, we have changed things in the past due to threads like this (Writers' Bloc being staff only for example) and we are keeping an open mind to this new change of the feedback system. It appears that some people can't resist threads like this to have a pop at the management of the site (two threads removed and the latest 'its the managements fault' quote).

Comment

Il Postino has been banned for reasons unrelated this topic in case anyone was wondering. The timing looks bad for us, so I'm keen to avoid the usual 'evil' mod conspiracy stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X