No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to see Nathaniel Rateliff & the night sweats again last night, absolutely brilliant night!

Comment

I saw Otoboke Beaver with support from Say Sue Me and Leggy at the CCA in Glasgow on Tuesday night. Brilliant night. Say Sue Me were a real surprise with an almost Pixies like vibe. Otoboke were great, so much energy and great presence on stage.

Comment

Woop woop!

G'n'f'n'R on Saturday at Download!

Comment

Should be good. Heading down to Donnington tomorrow. Loads of good bands at Download this year despite the relatively weak headliners. I’m gutted that Baroness and Rise Against clash on Sunday evening.

Comment

I'd see Baroness, seeing that they'd escaped death! (Plus I like them more)
            Have a great time, pal. We'll compare notes afterwards!

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with my favourite band on it, drinking a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with my favourite band on it, drinking a beer.
              Should be easy to spot you then!

Comment

Hey [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION]!
                Did you have a good time at Download?

I only did the Saturday for G n' R, but we had a great time, helped by having the sun on us this year, for a change!

Saw a handful of bands: Monster Truck, Temperance Movement and so on.
                I thought Baby Metal were great. Nothing like anybody else on over the weekend and was a really fun visual treat. I doubt I'd listen to any of their albums, but as a festival booking, they were great.

Food has improved this year! I had some lovely churros and salted caramel brownies!

As for G n' R, I thought it was great.
                There was a bit of bloat (just like Axl!) and the setlist could've done with being a bit slimmer (like Axl!) but they played everything I wanted to hear. Highlights for me were Jungle, November, Sweet Child and Paradise.

Just read this article about how much they were reportedly paid and dream bookings:

Guns N' Roses were reportedly paid £5 million for their headline performance at Download Festival.
                The 'Civil War' hitmakers are rumoured to have banked the mega sum for their set on Saturday (09.06.18), which saw Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan, Richard Fortus, Dizzy Reed and Frank Ferrer perform for just over three years at Donington Park in Leicestershire, UK.
                It's believed to be the biggest amount promoter and festival organiser Andy Copping has ever handed out to a band for the iconic metal festival.

A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "He paid Guns £5 million for the set and that's the most he's ever done."
                On top of the whopping figure, the band reportedly enjoyed home comforts from their very own backstage area the size of a football pitch, and they left the site swiftly after their performance in a helicopter.
                The £5 million clearly worked as the 'Welcome to the Jungle' hitmakers arrived a minute early for their set, despite the frontman having a reputation for turning up hours late to gigs.
                Fans certainly got their money's worth, with the band powering through 28 songs, comprised of all the hits and a abundance of covers including The Who ['The Seeker'], Soundgarden ['Black Hole Sun'] - in tribute to late frontman Chris Cornell - Bob Dylan [Knockin' on Heaven's Door'], Derek And The Dominoes ['Layla'], Pink Floyd ['Wish You Were Here'] and The Misfits [Attitude]'.
                Meanwhile, Andy has revealed who he has on his wish-list to book for the three-day event; Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam and Van Halen.

He also revealed that Dave Grohl and co were in talks for 2015, before Foo Fighters were picked for Glastonbury and he broke his leg, meaning they missed out on both.
                He told Planet Rock Magazine: "There's a few actually: Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Van Halen ... we've been unbelievably close on all those acts.
                "In fact, Pearl Jam and Van Halen have both confirmed previously, but had to pull out for different reasons.
                "And with Foo Fighters, we thought we had them and then Dave (Grohl) broke his leg (from falling off the stage at Gothenberg's Ullevi Stadium in June 2015).
                "If Led Zeppelin ever decide to reform, I'll definitely be seeking them out!"

Comment

Woah! £5 million for G'n'R. So not worth it. I thought they were a bit meh and went back to the tent for some Brewdog beers.

Overall the festival was great, the good weather really does help, and so many good bands.

Highlights for me would be:
                  Lawnmower Deth on an outdoor stage for once!
                  Babymetal, too short a set and who are the mysterious two new girls. Moa's backing vocals aren't strong enough without Yui though.
                  Bullet for My Valentine, always good live and starting to creep back up the bill after the misfire of Temper, Temper.
                  Avenged Sevenfold, I like their earlier stuff but they played a blinding set. Glad they pulled it off as I was concerned they weren't quite headline material.
                  Dead Cross, Mike Patton and Dave Lombardo what's not to like? Awesome drumming and a wee treat with their rendition of Nazi Punks F*ck Off.
                  Body Count, haven't seen them since the 90's still got it.
                  Rise Against, I only went to see them because it was too hot in the tent for Baroness. Consoled myself with a good jump around.
                  Ozzy, on surprisingly good form. Mr Wylde needs to ease off with his signature widdle though.

I'm in agreement with you about the food this year it did seem better albeit even more expensive!

Bought my tickets for next year on Wednesday. Fingers crossed for some top headliners.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Woah! £5 million for G'n'R. So not worth it. I thought they were a bit meh and went back to the tent for some Brewdog beers.
                    I'd take that with a pinch of salt, but that's what big name headliners ask for. AC/DC got a rumoured £3.5m back in 2010.

I nearly asked where the Brewdog tent was, but you mean your own tent!

I'd say it was good value. I think it sold out on the Saturday and there were a LOT of GnR shirts about. I was near the front and looked back and there was a sea of people all the way to the back. If it gets people in, then it's a result. Plus, I really enjoyed the set!

Sounds like you saw some good bands over the weekend.

I know what you mean about Zakk's widdling. It's like he's got a nervous tic or something! I watched footage of Bark at the Moon though and it looked great, with everybody howling along!

I'll wait to see who's announced, but we had a great time and would like to go again. Problem is, my main mate who goes just got married so has a mortgage and a wife who prefers Glastonbury.

Comment

IIRC the recent Guns tour was the highest grossing of last year with an average ticket price of $110! Playing in stadiums of say 50/60,000 per gig and they were probably raking in 5 million per gig anyway. Mad money.

Hope you can make it next year. Given the bands with new albums and tours coming up I think next years line up will be a belter.

Comment

I love Download. Such a great vibe. I'd like to do all three days again, but I don't think I'd get away with it.<br><br>Who would you like to see play?<br>I'd love to see The Smashing Pumpkins play a heavy set, but that'll never happen.<br>Foos, Van Halen and Zep are some other choices.

Comment

I’d like to see a dedicated punk area at Download it would be great to see Iron Chic, Menzingers, Smith St Band etc given a bigger stage.

Others I’d like to see would be Pearl Jam, who never play Scotland these days, Foos, Muse, Faith No More, Biffy, Queen, 5FDP, Anthrax, Anti-Flag and so many others.

Comment

I can't bloody stand G&R, and the thought of them getting paid that kind of sum churns my stomach. They played the last Download I went to which was... er... 2006ish? I remember having to fight through throngs of people as they came on so that I could get to the second stage where Prodigy were headlining, and just getting entirely bent out of shape on account of the band in general but specifically Rose. Even as a shadow of what he once was he still felt he deserved to be treated like royalty, giving it the "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!" bollocks.

On a brighter note, Robert Smith's Meltdown kicked off this week and has one of the most personally relevant line-ups I've ever seen. I didn't get tickets for any of the bigger acts I'd have liked to (MBV, NIN and naturally "Cureation25"), but I've already made it out for 65daysofstatic and God is an Astronaut, and am going for Mogwai too. It's made me remember how much I love the Southbank Centre as a destination. In particular, Queen Elizabeth Hall more than makes up for being a seated venue by being one of the most visually and acoustically stimulating ones I've ever experienced.

Other things booked for rest of the year: Citadel (day in a local park, embracing some acts I still enjoy but that are a bit more gf-compatible), Frontierer, Deafheaven, The Black Queen, Pixies, The Ocean, Slayer (w/ Lamb of God, Anthrax). Still on the fence about Employed to Serve, Ministry (really want to see Chelsea Wolfe on the back of last year's album), and Glassjaw.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Others I’d like to see would be Pearl Jam, who never play Scotland these days, Foos, Muse, Faith No More, Biffy, Queen, 5FDP, Anthrax, Anti-Flag and so many others.
                              Muse, FNM and Biffy have all been great when they played previously.
                              It's funny, but I was thinking about Queen playing there on Sunday. Not sure what made me think of it, but I think they'd be a great headliner. If Foos were around on the same bill, maybe they'd team up!

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              I had to look that up and I'm a little disappointed that the Cure's singer wasn't caught having a massive tantrum about running out of hairspray or something.

Comment

£5M for a three year set? Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X