No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started this again as I was only a little way in and I want to play the story out my way, not have it steered by something out of my control ... Though if it happens again I'll just roll with it.

Going back to the start there really is a noticeable difference with the HDR turned off. The darker scenes look so much better and the red writing in the titles really pops against it.

Comment

Finally started this last night after a week of going out!

Wow, that's a strong start. Really immersive. I felt cold playing it.

I couldn't help but think of Hateful Eight because of the Western theme, the weather and the music.

Snow effect was amazing!

I've still got the training wheels on, but I've enjoyed the first few missions.

Yup, great so far and I'm looking forward to playing more.

Comment

I feel like playing RDR2 is like reading a long book, the worst thing to do is to try and play it if you're not completely in the right mood. Means it'll take an age to get through but the experience is much better. It can really make you hanker for something more immediate and the second you feel like that it's best to take a night off to focus on something else rather than try and push on

Comment

I agree, but that ain't your style, Supes!

Comment

17 hours in. Wow what a difference, this first 10 hours experience was not at all reflective of my impressions in the last 7. I tried to consider what changed, and I think the answer is tied to engaging in the wonderful storylines, but more inportantly this is a game that requires a higher degree of learning to enjoy than I am most used too. I forgot the joy of learning new game mechanics without hand holding. Just learning how to hunt 3 star creatures with the right tool for perfect pelts was something I discovered after 15 hours, and the enjoyment of playing essentially a hunting sim was quite unexpected. Bow and arrow in the woods looking for rodents or long range scope for larger animals.

The side quests and missions, not least random events are very fun. From bank heists to arson, it is really well done. I have so much left to do, and am really enjoying it. The controls are growing on me, but feel like they could have been better, or maybe it is fun to learn new mechanics on that front.

The small details are also making a difference, hints at a violent past or hidden corners of countryside with a little detail that makes you realise the effort it required to build such a fast world with so much care and attention. I can’t help but wonder if after another 17 hours I will be thinking masterpiece.

Comment

Came across a

Ku Klux Klan meeting last night

- brilliantly written and funny IMO; no easy task given the subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                17 hours in. Wow what a difference, this first 10 hours experience was not at all reflective of my impressions in the last 7. I tried to consider what changed, and I think the answer is tied to engaging in the wonderful storylines, but more inportantly this is a game that requires a higher degree of learning to enjoy than I am most used too. I forgot the joy of learning new game mechanics without hand holding. Just learning how to hunt 3 star creatures with the right tool for perfect pelts was something I discovered after 15 hours, and the enjoyment of playing essentially a hunting sim was quite unexpected. Bow and arrow in the woods looking for rodents or long range scope for larger animals.

The side quests and missions, not least random events are very fun. From bank heists to arson, it is really well done. I have so much left to do, and am really enjoying it. The controls are growing on me, but feel like they could have been better, or maybe it is fun to learn new mechanics on that front.

The small details are also making a difference, hints at a violent past or hidden corners of countryside with a little detail that makes you realise the effort it required to build such a fast world with so much care and attention. I can’t help but wonder if after another 17 hours I will be thinking masterpiece.

The other day i found a couple up in the hills, huddled together on the side of a mountain with their camp, frozen dead. I just looked at the scene and thought, WHAT THE EFFING HELL were you two thinking making camp here, in this spot? Then i quickly realised they obviously don't exist, and never did.

It was quite powerful stuff, even for just a second, it brings home the little moments throughout this game that really grab you and put you in a living, breathing thing to explore.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-11-2018, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Came across a

Ku Klux Klan meeting last night

- brilliantly written and funny IMO; no easy task given the subject matter.
                  Whilst out in the dusty plains, somewhere, no idea where i was, i came across a camp fire in the night all alone with a drunk talking to himself.

After a while staring at the night sky he starts chatting, when he finished his initial lines he asks for some whisky. So i hand over a bottle to say thanks for the fire, he starts getting even more drunk and goes into his back story of how he's lost his way in life because of all the Native Indians the army forced him to slaughter and doesn't understand how to go on with what he did. He slowly gets to the point of passing out and falling off his stool.

I put a bullet in his head to end his misery. It wont bring the Indians back but i made a mini game for myself at that moment to avenge any Indians and kill any NPC i hear talking about their part in the Indian wars.

Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-11-2018, 17:29.

Comment

Post #22 probably you meant to spoiler?

Comment

Sorry guys typed on my phone and spoiler tags didn’t work. Fixed.

Comment

I’ve forgotten what it said already. The joys of being 49

Comment

Played some RDR2 for a bit until 10pm. Did a few cowboy things and checked the time. 1AM!
                          Holy moly, this is a time sink! I'm going to have to be more careful.

Having said that, Joe was playing before I went on and was still playing when I rolled into bed.

I'm 11% in, plot-wise.
                          I'm not sure how much I should spoiler, but I did a mission in the first town with multiple parts to it.

I started to experiment to see what I could do when a guy was hassling a woman from my party, I could only tell him to leave because beating him, killing him or stealing his horse lead to failure.
                          I replayed the mission, doing everything right and ticking the challenge boxes, but I've had to accept the game throws so many events at you, you have to let some go.

Saving a woman being kidnapped meant I lost the big deer I was hunting.

Firing off one too many shots at cougars to save a guy meant he ran off rather than talk to me.

Interrupting a shoot cart heist meant I died and lost my pelts I'd hunted.

Riding back to town distracted me, talking to a random event soldier and an author of a gunslinger book who gave me a mission.

I did a Yakumo move where I meant to punch a guy but pulled a gun. He disarmed me and I pulled a knife and stabbed him! I now know circle punches.

Comment

My horse stumbled on a rock whilst climbing a slope.

I fell off and started rolling down for absolutely ages and ages and eventually died.

Basically, it was like this:

Loads I need to do. Get a brush for starters. Earn some cash. Get a hunting rifle. Argh! Too many choices!

I was ridin' around trying to do some huntin' and I got to the top of a hill and it hit me how impressive this game is.
                            I could see for miles and I knew I could ride to wherever I could see.
                            You go into the town and people are doing stuff, irrespective of you and it feels a lot less like Truman realising everything is fake.

It's an amazing achievement.

Comment

The set missions are where this game falls over, massively. You have to do exactly what Rockstar tell you:

Game: Get into cover!
                              Me: I am in cover
                              Game: Not THAT cover, the cover that I want you to be in
                              Me: fine
                              Game: Check out the area around the house
                              Me: Ok, looks at house using binoculars for a bit
                              Game: No. Check out the area around the house using the telescopic sight on the rifle that I know you have on you because I made you buy it earlier and when you got off your horse I put it in your inventory

That. Every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                The set missions are where this game falls over, massively. You have to do exactly what Rockstar tell you:

Game: Get into cover!
                                Me: I am in cover
                                Game: Not THAT cover, the cover that I want you to be in
                                Me: fine
                                Game: Check out the area around the house
                                Me: Ok, looks at house using binoculars for a bit
                                Game: No. Check out the area around the house using the telescopic sight on the rifle that I know you have on you because I made you buy it earlier and when you got off your horse I put it in your inventory

That. Every time.
                                Ha ha ha, I had that on that really early mission where you attack an enemy base.

"Hide in the barn!"
                                *goes to barn*
                                "What are you doing? Hide in the barn!"
                                *moves to another barn 73cm away*

Comment

Working...
                                X